Best hair style | Golden Skate

Best hair style

Best hair style

• Total voters

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Did you see how many of the ladiy gymnists used them? Urgh!!! Come on they know they are going to need a hairstyle that keeps their hair out of their eyes so why not just grow it long enough to pull back??? Especially for the Olympics...these are pictures that will follow them for the rest of their lives. U.S. ladies volley ball the other night set the record for most clippies used by a team at one time.

John King

Final Flight
Well,I always had the same complaint about Anjelika Krylova's hair:My fingers are not running through it! :cry:

Antilles

Medalist
Out of the choices, I put Navka. Jenny Kirk's is overdone. I like Michelle's, but I don't like always seeing a bun. I wish she'd wear it down more in competition. Little clippies don't necessarily bother me. It really depends on how many there are, and how it's done. While growing it out for competition may be easier, the athletes may really hate that look on themselves in day to day life.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
With all of the strict training and discipline these ladies have to adhere to it could be that their hairstyle is one of the few things they do have some control over day to day. In my early nurse days when we had to wear hair up with our caps, and could only wear white every day, I looked forward to being able to wear my hair any way that I wanted when off duty. But I always kept it long enough to be able to twist it up in different kinds of chignons for a little variety.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
dragonfly said:
Johnny Weir :laugh:
Dragonfly, I love Johnny's curls, I wonder why he doesn't. Anyhow, I say let's hear for BUNS!! :laugh: :laugh: The clips don't bother me, matter of fact I use them. I have shoulder length hair and wear it down out but at home it's the pony tail do for me.

Dee

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
Dragonfly, I love Johnny's curls, I wonder why he doesn't. Anyhow, I say let's hear for BUNS!! :laugh: :laugh: The clips don't bother me, matter of fact I use them. I have shoulder length hair and wear it down out but at home it's the pony tail do for me.

Dee

Oh Dee say it ain't so. :D Wouldn't it be easier just to grow your hair a few inches longer than having to deal with the clippies? Does the entire gymnastics and figure skating world own stock in the Scunci company, LOL? I think one thing about them that bugs me so much is these skaters and gymnists are dressed all sparkly with sequins, rhinestones a dressy look and then they stick the clippies in. They go to all of the trouble to have a designer do their costume and then top it off with what? Why not a nice little jeweled comb?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I remember Qing Pang and Jian Tong showing up for Skate America last season with these utterly awful matching his-and-hers shredded ratpiles on their heads; fortunately they had grown out (or something) by the Worlds.

I think Irina Lobacheva takes the prize for Least Flattering Hairstyle. She seems to change it every season, and hasn't hit on anything decent even once. They usually fall under the category of "Trashy" or "Dated" or any combination of the two.

Maria Petrova IMO has skating's most fascinating hair. It looks so nice and neat once it's up in a bun, but once that bun comes down -- we're talking some seriously WILD hair!! I think if she grew it as long as Marina Anissina's, it would probably take over the building..... :D :laugh:

Pau-goodle76

Rinkside
I think Michelle has the prettiest, followed by Marina Anissina and AP McDonough (sp?). I think the oddest would have to be Mario Petrova. I'm not sure what is going on there! Also, Jenny Kirk is a very pretty girl, but sometimes her 'do is a bit much! I can't remember which competition it was but she had a beehive looking thing going on and it almost ended up looking like she had a growth on her head!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I don't like skating buns, like Michelle wears--too matronly. I did, however, really like her in her brief uber short hair period. :D

ice_princess

Rinkside
I like buns for skating because it looks more sophisticated.However, I hate little clips in the hair that makes it look messy and also when pieces of hair fall out and fly around. Use hairspray! :)

Johar

Medalist
I didn't care much for Sarah Hughe's mushroom head hairdo. She needed to go longer or shorter.

Um, for good hair on the ladies--Kwan, Kadavy, Witt come to mind. Good hair on the men--Alexei Yagudin.

As for all those clips, someone who took gymnastics told me it was a rule that they couldn't have hair on the face sans bangs. Something about it getting in the eyes and obscuring the vision...

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Pau-goodle76 said:
I think the oddest would have to be Mario Petrova. I'm not sure what is going on there!

Actually, the theory we had about Petrova's hair, in my row at the Vancouver Worlds, was that she's one of those women who, if exposed to certain temperature/humidity conditions, has hair that frizzes out and triples in volume. Perhaps it's the cold rink air! :laugh: :laugh:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
JonnyCoop said:
Actually, the theory we had about Petrova's hair, in my row at the Vancouver Worlds, was that she's one of those women who, if exposed to certain temperature/humidity conditions, has hair that frizzes out and triples in volume. Perhaps it's the cold rink air! :laugh: :laugh:

My hair does the same thing - sometimes I swear it has a life of its own. :laugh: I noticed no one has said anything about Elena Sokolova's hair. I love the way it falls right back into place after a jump or a spin.
Rave

Eeyora

Final Flight
Funny the horrible gymnastics "clippees" are mentioned. I find them a real eyesore especially if they don't match the athletes hair color. The white are the worst especially on brunettes. My mother and I complain whenever we watch gymnastics.Then I couldn't believe my eyes when Sarah Hughes wore them at 03 Nationals when she was between hair lengths.

Back to Skating

You can't go wrong with Michelle Kwans Classic bun. The hairdo is elegant and sophisticated. Although I really preferred her interesting hairstyes during the early 95-96 season in which she wore her hair in a braid for Romanza and a french braid bun for Salome at Skate America. I actually liked her short hair cut in the beginning of the 98 -99 season. However I do believe it got too short by the times Worlds and Nationals rolled along. At the beginning of the 99 - 00 season the haircut looked cute again. While I liked her hair in the in between phase. It was unfortunately not a skating hair do and I did not like the style she dawned at Nats and Worlds in 2000 in which she tie only the top front back. I still can't decide whether or not I like her with highlights or not. Sometimes I think it looks adorable other times I am not sure.

I like how Sasha changes her hairstyle from program to program. While I definitely believe she has outgrown the ponytail for her competitive programs. I liked the the new sophisticated higher bun. I also liked her hair braidred as well. I thought Sasha looked cute with short hair especially with her little round face.

I hated Sarah's hair in her younger days when it was long and brown. I also hated it without bangs. It was such a relief when she first got it cut. It took me a while to get used to it when she got it cut and added highlights prior to Salt Lake City. However I got used to it and I think the highlights are stunning. I was not much keen of her in between phase during the 03 season. Over the past year she has sported numerous haircuts which were interesting. She has been most recently photographed at an ESPN event with a Farrah Fawcett hairstyle which I don't think I am nuts about.

Irina definitely looks better with short hair.

I could do without Jenny's updo's they remind me too much of the Peggy Fleming beehive from 1968.

I love how Angela wears her hair up. I guess it is a bun with curls. I also love the bangs.

Kristi Yamaguchi has never sported a bad hairdo. Her ponytail was cute in the Early Nineties I even liked the curled 80's bang's. However she was smart to change her hair with the times. Her hair is nice when it is both longer and shorter.

I don't believe there is a hair style we have never seen on Oksana. Her hair looks best when it is the darkest blond or lightest brown. Redder shades also work well with her. I hated it bleach blonde.

I can't think of Ekaterina Gordeeva ever having a bad hairstyle but I don't think she actually changed it over the years.

WORST HAIR

I never cared for Tara Lipinski's hair. It always looked like a do it yourself highlighting kit during her eligible days which I thought she was to young for. In recent years it has become an over dyed over processed mess. It is also curly and frizzy which I used to blame on the ice. However it doesn't look much better in her TV Appearances. It looks a lot nicer when she wears it straight. However the blonde has to go.

How could I not mention good old Tonya Harding. Her hair was not bad from 91 - 92 when she had bangs. It didn't look bad red. However by late 93 it had gone in the same direction as her skating career. I hated her hair without bangs. It was over bleached. It looked terrible at Nationals in a pontail and at the Olympics in a braid. :eek:

The "King of Bad Hair" definitely goes to the current "King of the Ice" Evgeny Plushenko. The fact that it is a mullet is bad enough. But this is not his only bad hair cut. Remember the uneven bowl haircut in 2000. I truly hope this guy finds a good barber someday.

Speaking of "The King" Elvis has a mullet going on there.

I would like to see how Philippe would look with a haircut.

SKATING A LINK TO PREMATURE BALDNESS?

Call me crazy but has anyone elso noticed that many of the top men seem to lose there hair quite early. Dick Button has been bald forever. Peggy Flemming reports in her book that when she was younger she accidently caused his toupee to fall off. :laugh:
Scott Hamilton started to lose his hair years ago. Brian Boitano's Hairline receeded shortly after he won the Olympics. Kurt Browning has been balding for quite a while as well as Lloyd Eisler.

Last edited:

takura

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Who is that in your signature pic, Takura? I vote for her!

Is it Jennifer Don?

Oh no! Little clips!

MM.

The person in my sig is Sasha Cohen.....She always has her hair in a bun,I would like to see her hair in a braid or something beautiful and elegent next time she skates.