2018-2019 SD (Rhythm Dance) Info | Golden Skate

2018-2019 SD (Rhythm Dance) Info

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
ISU communication 2086 was published today. It mentions that the SD will be renamed the Rhythm Dance pending a Congress decision. It also states the following rhythms:

Junior and Senior: Tango, plus any other Rhythm(s).

The patterns are:

Senior - Tango Romantica
Junior - Argentine Tango

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
YESSSSSS !! I've been waiting for the Tango since the Short Dance started !!
Don't mix it with a Waltz though. I wouldn't mind a entire Tango SD.

GF2445

Record Breaker
It looks like they are letting the couples pair the tango with anything! YAY.

Also, the Juniors get the Argentine Tango!! Wow, that's not an easy dance to skate.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
It looks like they are letting the couples pair the tango with anything! YAY.

Also, the Juniors get the Argentine Tango!! Wow, that's not an easy dance to skate.

What goes well with tango ? Except Paso and Flamenco maybe

sarama

Medalist
-I'm not particularly on board with the new name TBH
-I love the tango, but I'm afraid it won't mesh well with other rhythms (and apparently the ISU doesn't either, so they're letting the teams take the blame for ill-matched programs)
- I would have loved to see many retiring teams do the tango as a swan song, so I'm a tad butter it's not next season... Maybe someone will stay a season more, making me a very happy fan

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I feel nostalgic for Tango Romantica because it was used for CD at the 2010 Olympics. :)
I hope some of the veteran teams stay one more year and perform to it with a passion and intensity.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
-I'm not particularly on board with the new name TBH
-I love the tango, but I'm afraid it won't mesh well with other rhythms (and apparently the ISU doesn't either, so they're letting the teams take the blame for ill-matched programs)
- I would have loved to see many retiring teams do the tango as a swan song, so I'm a tad butter it's not next season... Maybe someone will stay a season more, making me a very happy fan

I remember disliking Tango - Waltz SD mix from 2010/2011 season, that was also the first one with SD - for most it indeed did not mesh well. Virtue / Moir program was exquisite though. They used soundtrack from Polish movie / tv drama ''Night and Days'' - ''Noce i Dnie'' in Waltz part of it composed by Waldemar Kazanecki so that was also nice gift for someone who is from Poland like me :agree:

Last edited:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I feel nostalgic for Tango Romantica because it was used for CD at the 2010 Olympics. :)
I hope some of the veteran teams stay one more year and perform to it with a passion and intensity.

I love watching V/M's Olympic CD. It is too bad it isn't for next season, because I would love to see them skate is again.

ETA I mean it is my avatar.

all that

Final Flight
Virtue / Moir program was exquisite though. They used soundtrack from Polish movie / tv drama ''Night and Days'' - ''Noce i Dnie'' in Waltz part of it composed by Waldemar Kazanecki so that was also nice gift for someone who is from Poland like me :agree:

Yes! Loved their tango/waltz combo! Would have loved to see what they would do now that the tango can be combined with any rhythm.

asunta

Rinkside
Yes! Loved their tango/waltz combo! Would have loved to see what they would do now that the tango can be combined with any rhythm.

So I will join with you. I love VM interpretation of tangos. they dance three tangos. 2 as CD and one as a combo in mentioned SD, and they really captured different shades of tangos. Scott neck work and back movement are great (so crucial in tango aesthetics) I also would prefer tango next season, but rumba/Latin is also good for VM.;)

I forgot about OD 2007:rolleye:

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I actually really like the name "rhythm dance" as I think it's more descriptive of what it is supposed to be and how it's distinct from the free dance.

nocturnalis

Medalist
So I will join with you. I love VM interpretation of tangos. they dance three tangos. 2 as CD and one as a combo in mentioned SD, and they really captured different shades of tangos. Scott neck work and back movement are great (so crucial in tango aesthetics) I also would prefer tango next season, but rumba/Latin is also good for VM.;)

I forgot about OD 2007:rolleye:

V/M did even more tango's than that! In edition to the OD's for 2007-2008 and 2009-2010 season, plus the SD in 2011, they did tango's as the OD in 2006-2007 season and as their FD as juniors for the 2004-2005 season!

moriel

Record Breaker
Not happy with tango - i fear it will end up with about 99% of the tams doing something very similar, kinda same as happened with paso

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I don't mind programs being similar for the OD/SD/RD. I liked how that was sort of the point of it and the programs that stick out really stick out and you see which teams can really skate to the rhythm.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This is great news for W/P who slay the Tango. :love: I've also wanted to see more fire from P/C so hopefully we will see an edgier side of them in the SD.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
If W/P don't retire I'm sure they will do a great job with this SD.

I love the tango. All of the tangos. I love them. I will probably be as excited about this SD as I was about this years. I'm not too fussy about the Rumba to be honest but I am interested to see what people do with it. What I'm not looking forward to is the music. I'm not looking forward to what some of the teams will do to get the music to fit the rhythm or how much of the same music we will hear over and over again.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
regarding Tango - along with Golden Waltz, Tango Romantica is my favourite pattern performed, still love to re-watch Tango CD from 2008 Worlds, Tango CD from Vancouver 2010 Olympics, Worlds 2010 in Torino with Golden Waltz and 2011 Worlds where Golden Waltz was a pattern for SD. And in all those events Tessa and Scott totally owned the patterns with so much confidence...It would be fabulous to have them going for this one more season just to see how they'd interpret and portray Tango this time. It is almost impossible, but I still have my hopes until they'd announce retiring for good.

regarding second 'free' rhythm to choose...Now, this is finally an opportunity for creative teams like Gilles/Poirier to go even more full out with some quirk and originality; I totally see Tango paired with Paso Doble, Flamenco, Rhumba, Waltz, March, there are possibilities and myself, I'd be thrilled to have such occasion to experiment a bit with music, choreography, meshing different styles, but trying to find a comfortable convention for them...

And of course, there will be some similarity in direction chosen by many teams, some will just go 'safe route' or traditional one, but thank god there are still Piper and Paul:laugh: