View Poll Results: Should Paul Hamm Relinquish the AA Gold Medal?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, he should give it up even if it's not "official."

17 12.06%
  • NO, it's his. He won it fair & square.

111 78.72%
  • He should wait and see what transpires over the next few days as officials sort out the mess.

9 6.38%
  • I don't know enough to render an opinion.

4 2.84%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Should Paul Hamm Relinquish the AA Gold Medal?

Should Paul Hamm Relinquish the AA Gold Medal?

What is your opinion?

Question

Why not the same solution as the winter olympics pair skater's fiasco?

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IDLERACER
    Because "fiasco" is the operative word here. Beyond the obvious reason that these are two completely different situations, no sport would be willing to emulate the emabarassment that FS has, 2 years later, still failed to recover from.

Tough one to call. Too many 'ifs' involved. Yang finished in 3rd place. If he had won the high bar it would not be more than a couple of thousandths. Would that be enough for him to move pass his teamate and then Hamm? Then there is the judges scoring differently if his SV was correct? And I'm not convinced that the Koreans complained orally with no one listening at the time of the competition - not even a disinterested party to confirm they did. I can not imagine some official telling them to put it in writing the next day. hmmm.

Neither Yang nor Hamm are at fault. that's the sad part. Yang goes away feeling rejected. Hamm goes away feeling dejected.

I reluctantly vote Hamm as the winner!!

Hopefully, the officials now plan to have SVs shown in lights while the athlete is about to execute his routine and keeping that SV on until he is finished.

Oh, the subjectivity of judged sports.

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by IDLERACER

Yup.... That's what I say... Let it be that...

Custom Title
    I big No. Yang should have had more deductions so if he wants a review then he will get the value up to 10 and take the deductions that weren’t originally taken off which would probably knock him out of the medals. Would that be fair.

Our favorite gal Christine Brennan wrote a big whoop-de-do about why Paul should give his medal to the Korean guy. I think instead that Brennan should win a gold medal and give hers away.

Mathman

Custom Title

Thumbs down

Christine Brennan is a goofy.

Custom Title
    Several news columnists have suggested that Hamm should "do the right thing" and give the gold medal to Yang. They have said that without even considering that maybe Yang really wasn't the winner (a .2 mandatory deduction wasn't taken for one too many stops in Yang's routine).

How preposterous! It isn't the GOLD MEDAL Yang wants, it's the AA TITLE, and Hamm can't give him that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Our favorite gal Christine Brennan wrote a big whoop-de-do about why Paul should give his medal to the Korean guy. I think instead that Brennan should win a gold medal and give hers away.

Mathman
    It's easy for someone like her to give up someone ELSE'S gold medal, isn't it? These journalists LOVE controversy, don't they? And they love to get as much mileage as they can from it!

I huge NO!!!

Here is the article that I fully agree with. It points out that (1) we don't know how Yang would have performed with the lead, nor how the judges would have judged; and (2) while videotape shows that start value should have been 10.0, it also shows Yang should have taken a 0.2 deduction for 4 holds on the bar.

Custom Title
    HELL NO! I didn't think two medals should've been awarded in SLC, and I don't think they should now either. I realize that there are a lot more instances of ties in gymnastics. If there is an honest to goodness tie, then that's a different story.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JillLaQ
    HELL NO! I didn't think two medals should've been awarded in SLC, and I don't think they should now either. I realize that there are a lot more instances of ties in gymnastics. If there is an honest to goodness tie, then that's a different story.
    ITA about SLC. IMO it was just that close and it could have gone either way.

B & S start value was a 10 and S & P's were 9.8. :D

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?
    I too say NO! The protest wasn't made according to the rules. I have a hard time believing the S. Koreans were told to wait. There were protests being made according to the rules throughout the competition and they should have noticed that. Paul won fair and square--especially with the news that Yang had 4 holds on the p-bars and wasn't deducted for that. (I would like them to scream this fact loud and clear so ALL know Paul is the Olympic AA Champion) If they review the routine they have to review the whole thing, not just the start value. There is no way of knowing how differently Yang would have performed on high bar had he been in the lead entering the 6th rotation.

P. Hamm made an incredible come back in the AA. To just medal was incredible, but to take the AA the way he did was an amazing feat. It's too bad that all this mess has to be dealt with. Hopefully something good will come out of this controversy--like people will pay more attention to Men's Gymnastics! I know I love it!

eliza88

Custom Title
    The thing that's irritating me right now is an IOC member has suggested that Paul give up the gold medal voluntarily. Exactly why is it Paul's responsibility to fix their mess? Talk about wimping out! The governing bodies are supposed to take care of these kind of things, not the athletes

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast