Another Gold Medal Disqualification! | Golden Skate

Another Gold Medal Disqualification!

Where will it all end?

Fourteen-year-old Shotaro Makisumi of Arcadia, California, had the fastest average time -- 17.26 seconds -- in the U.S. Rubik's Cube Championship held in Pasadea, California, in July. He was ruled ineligible because he was born in Japan. The second place finisher, Jon Morris of Gaylord, Michigan, claimed the U.S. title with an average time of 20.06 seconds, and a best time of 16.64.

No word on whether the Japanese Rubiks Cube Federation will file a protest.

Here is Jon's website, where you can watch videos of how to do a Rubics cube (click on the three links about "levels.)

http://www.geocities.com/nascarjon2001/

Mathman :D

bronxgirl

Medalist
Is it analogous to the Bronx "12 year old" little leaguer who pitched a perfect game until it was discovered that he was 14 (thanks to his mother and guardian's complicity in the coverup) or was this Rubrick Cube winner taking perfomance enhancing drugs :D

sk8ing_lady2001

Final Flight
bronxgirl said:
Is it analogous to the Bronx "12 year old" little leaguer who pitched a perfect game until it was discovered that he was 14 (thanks to his mother and guardian's complicity in the coverup) or was this Rubrick Cube winner taking perfomance enhancing drugs :D

Perhaps; I don't know for sure.

2loop2002

Rinkside
Oh my goodness! :eek: The video of solving the rubik's cube is amazing. To think that I've never solved a cube and there are people out there who can do it in under 20 seconds! I followed some of the links to methods of how to solve Rubik's cube, and it looks like a skill that would take quite some time to master.

heyang

Record Breaker
I remember when Rubik's cube was at the height of popularity. There were so many books out about how to solve. I remember my cousin reading a book and being able to complete the cube pretty quickly afterwards. The only time he couldn't was when I would take the cube apart and put it back together incorrectly. Really enjoyed playing that prank on him.

mpal2

Final Flight
I've always wondered why taking the cube apart would mess up the solution. If all the colors were the same on each side of the cube would it really matter? Or did you take it apart when it was mixed up?

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
My brother, with a Bachelor's degree in English, can do it in a couple of minutes. He didn't need any books--he figured it out on his own. The 4x4 cube takes him longer but he can do it. I could barely get it started. My Dad, with a B.S. from MIT and a doctorate in nuclear engineering from Berkeley, had trouble with it and could not get over how quickly my brother could do it! Go figure! :eek: :laugh: