Greatest figure skating comebacks? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Greatest figure skating comebacks?

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Florent Amodio nailing it in his pre-retirement 2016 Euros FS. Even though he didn't make it to the podium, that was a hell of a comeback from 8th place. Also starring Morozov's emotional reaction. :laugh:

Erin S

Rinkside
One I don't think has been mentioned yet: Paul Wylie's brilliant LP in Albertville, after having almost been left off the team. Scott Hamilton said something about how your Olympic skate will always change your life, in a good way or bad, and Paul's would change his in the best possible way. That was certainly true, especially after the huge explosion in professional skating where Paul continued to be brilliant.

Others mentioned I strongly agree with: Nancy's flawless skates at 94 Olys, under the worst pressure a skater has possibly ever faced, which were a comeback not just from an injury but from a devastatingly disastrous skate at worlds in 1993. Rudy's skate-with-the-gods LP at 1996 Nats, which was a comeback from the loss of his pairs career and a horrible series of personal tragedies. Lu Chen's 1998 Bronze medal skate. Michelle's whole 2002/2003 season. And of course Mao's courageous, historic LP in Sochi. I also thought Elaine Zayak's 1994 pewter medal at nationals was pretty remarkable.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The only thing Gracie needs for her PCS to be high is skating clean and consistent. She certainly was getting higher PCS then Osmond before this season.

Can't say I agree with this. Gracie always looks absolutely miserable on the ice if she falls or pops a jump. If she has a good skate, sure, she's smiling, but it's almost robotic. Whereas Kaetlyn has the ability to project to the audience, regardless of mistakes. She is a natural performer, through and through. Yes, I would say prior to this past season, Gracie's skating skills are slightly better than Kaetlyn's, but as far as performance/execution, composition, and interpretation AKA "selling" a program, Gracie has nothing on Kaetlyn.

And before anyone points out Kaetlyn has a flutz, let's not forget that Gracie has a lip.

Disclaimer: before any of you attack me, I have always been a fan of Gracie, not a hater. I sincerely want her to reach her potential someday and wish her the best. Hopefully she will have success with Marina and her team. :)

NordEsque

On the Ice
Hanyu's comeback at Worlds17 and Javier's at Worlds16. Both came back from mistakes in the short to do amazing free skates :biggrin: Sorry they have both probably been mentioned

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kevin Reynolds coming back from having a very disappointing 2014-2015 season and getting hip surgery that is difficult for skaters to come back from. Exceeded my expectations in the past 2 seasons. Perfect comeback, no. But he has shown improvement.

Imagine

Medalist
Arakawa Shizuka...missed the Olympic team in 2002, came back to become World Champion in 2004. Then she flops to 9th place at Worlds in 2005 but comes back the next year to become Olympic Champion at the advanced age (by FS standards) of 24...this after switching coaches and completely reworking her programs just a couple of months before the games.