Black & White TV, Bolero Jackets, etc. | Golden Skate

Black & White TV, Bolero Jackets, etc.

S

SkateFan4Life

I dusted off some of my old, grainy videotapes and enjoyed watching some figure skating performances that were filmed in the 1950s and early 1960s. All of the footage was in black and white, which, in my opinion, was the great equalizer, as far as skating costumes are concerned. There are no flamboyant reds, yellows, or psychedelic colors - just shades of white, gray, and black.

Additionally, all of the men, whether singles or pairs skaters, wore bolero jackets
and pants. IMHO, the guys looked great dressed in those boleros. OK, maybe they all looked a little bit like waiters, or perhaps they were the forerunners of Kurt Browning's bolero-clad "Casablanca" routine. Whatever - the men looked great - Dick Button, Haynes Jenkins, David Jenkins, Scott Ethen Allen, Donald Jackson, etc.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Those were the days....so speaks the girl who was born about 100 years too late. I love the old skating look. How cool it must be to have those classic tapes to watch. I love to see skating back then. Although, it is not that readily available. And I like the fashions that they wore....at least the men.

SkateFan4Life said:
I dusted off some of my old, grainy videotapes and enjoyed watching some figure skating performances that were filmed in the 1950s and early 1960s. All of the footage was in black and white, which, in my opinion, was the great equalizer, as far as skating costumes are concerned. There are no flamboyant reds, yellows, or psychedelic colors - just shades of white, gray, and black.

Additionally, all of the men, whether singles or pairs skaters, wore bolero jackets
and pants. IMHO, the guys looked great dressed in those boleros. OK, maybe they all looked a little bit like waiters, or perhaps they were the forerunners of Kurt Browning's bolero-clad "Casablanca" routine. Whatever - the men looked great - Dick Button, Haynes Jenkins, David Jenkins, Scott Ethen Allen, Donald Jackson, etc.

Ladskater said:
Yes, I well remember those days! I always thought skaters looked classy then. It is fun to watch skaters from that era and black and white is a great medium.

Here are some pictures of Donald Jackson:

http://www.jacksonskates.com/assets/images4/don-pose.jpg

http://www.jacksonskates.com/assets/xtras2/Don55-parents.jpg
I think the look in the second picture is great. A festive winter-themed sweater and slacks. That's what men should go back to, and forget the sequins, buttons and bows. JMO.

Mathman

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Mathman said:
I think the look in the second picture is great. A festive winter-themed sweater and slacks. That's what men should go back to, and forget the sequins, buttons and bows. JMO.
While I agree with anti-sequins, the sweater idea is bad. Not only would one look like a kid skating around the rink on the weekend, but one would be saddled with about 100lbs of wet, sweaty wool after about the 1st quad.

The suits were also bad, IMHO, because not only did everyone look like waiters, but they all looked alike. I like the idea that costumes are costumes and not street clothes. While skaters like Plushy drive me completely bananas, it is afterall a performance they are delivering.

Here's my pick for a tasteful compromise: http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/R/real_lives/images/curry.jpg

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
berthes ghost said:

As far as I remember John Curry always had great looking costumes with one exception: The one in which he skated an exhibition (World tour), maybe 1975 or 1976.

About black&white TV, LOL, I watched 17 years of figure skating without a colour TV, and enjoyed it as well as in colour. Would really love to see some old performances from those days again: John Curry, Robin Cousins, Rodnina with her both partners, etc. etc.

Marjaana

I still think of figure skating as a sport first and an entertainment after the competition is over. So, I would prefer the men and the ladies to wear something that conforms to looking like a sport.

One could see the gymnasts, at the recent Olys, pretty much wore certain clothing which emphasized that this is sport. They wore gym clothes. I would like to see that in figure skating too. the gentlemen in slacks and shirts or sweaters (boleros if desired) and above all nothing that would make it look like an exhibition. the same goes for the ladies, simple skating dresses without acoutrements. Colors of these outfits could vary according to personal taste.

Of course, this would not do for Dance :laugh:

Joe

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
berthes ghost said:
While I agree with anti-sequins, the sweater idea is bad. Not only would one look like a kid skating around the rink on the weekend, but one would be saddled with about 100lbs of wet, sweaty wool after about the 1st quad.

The suits were also bad, IMHO, because not only did everyone look like waiters, but they all looked alike. I like the idea that costumes are costumes and not street clothes. While skaters like Plushy drive me completely bananas, it is afterall a performance they are delivering.

Here's my pick for a tasteful compromise: http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/R/real_lives/images/curry.jpg

Actually, sweaters are great for skating. I skated in a few. They are especially functional for outdoor skating, at least here in Canada. The temp can dip quite low!

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Mathman said:

Mathman

Don't make me hunt you down...... :p

But, yeah, I like watching the old skating videos, too. But what I really like are Russian men in lace and sequins. :love:

Laura :)

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
berthes ghost said:

:laugh: :D :laugh: :D :laugh: :D :laugh: :D

Okay, I've got to disagree on that outfit. He looks like he belongs in a film version of "Heidi"... or "Pinocchio!" :D

humbaba

Final Flight
Here's another vote for John Curry's jumpsuits. I suppose some people might find them a tad precious, but I think they were very flattering on John. Okay, maybe they looked a little like the double-knit jumpers I used to wear in the fourth grade.

If David Cassidy ever has a garage sale, maybe someone can pick up those pastel overalls David used to wear and skate in those. I shudder at the image.

S

SkateFan4Life

Joesitz said:
I still think of figure skating as a sport first and an entertainment after the competition is over. So, I would prefer the men and the ladies to wear something that conforms to looking like a sport.

One could see the gymnasts, at the recent Olys, pretty much wore certain clothing which emphasized that this is sport. They wore gym clothes. I would like to see that in figure skating too. the gentlemen in slacks and shirts or sweaters (boleros if desired) and above all nothing that would make it look like an exhibition. the same goes for the ladies, simple skating dresses without acoutrements. Colors of these outfits could vary according to personal taste.

Of course, this would not do for Dance :laugh:

Joe

I totally agree with you, Joe. Certainly, competitive figure skating has a strong performance aspect, but it is a SPORT first and foremost, and the skaters would look more like athletes if they put aside the baubles, sequins, feathers, wild colors, etc., and wore conservative, athletic outfits.

Remember Janet Lynn? She wore plain skating dresses - usually one solid color, with long sleeves, high neck, and full skirt. Sometimes the dresses had a few beads, but most were plain. Wearing those no-frills costumes, we could all concentrate on Janet's skating. Frankly, I think the "Las Vegas revue" costumes worn by many of today's skaters are very distracting. I spend more time gawking at the costume than I do watching the actual SKATING.

Perhaps if competitive figure skaters wore "athletic" attire when they competed, skating would be taken more seriously by the media and by the general public and would be considered a SPORT, one worthy of mentioning in the sports pages.

floskate

On the Ice
I have to agree on the gawdy costume front too. I love simple elegant dresses and the guys in fitted flattering dark colours. Take Rudy's Swan Lake outfit - so subtle, elegant and understated. One of my favourite ladies dresses was Lu Chens '95 SP dress - by Cranston no less!!! All these - Mama can you see me - dresses with so many rhinestones that they can barely jump off the ice make my skin crawl. And flesh material should just be banned - now :p

S

SkateFan4Life

floskate said:
I have to agree on the gawdy costume front too. I love simple elegant dresses and the guys in fitted flattering dark colours. Take Rudy's Swan Lake outfit - so subtle, elegant and understated. One of my favourite ladies dresses was Lu Chens '95 SP dress - by Cranston no less!!! All these - Mama can you see me - dresses with so many rhinestones that they can barely jump off the ice make my skin crawl. And flesh material should just be banned - now :p

YES!! Rudy's "Swan Lake" outfit and Lu Chen's 1995 short program (and long program) dresses were gorgeous!! :D

S

SkateFan4Life

humbaba said:
If David Cassidy ever has a garage sale, maybe someone can pick up those pastel overalls David used to wear and skate in those. I shudder at the image.

ROTFL!! :laugh: :laugh: Let's hear it for the 70s retro look!

Glacierskater

On the Ice
All these - Mama can you see me - dresses with so many rhinestones that they can barely jump off the ice make my skin crawl. And flesh material should just be banned - now :p[/QUOTE]

THAT'S FUNNY!!! I have had to do some double takes as well with the flesh colored costumes. Ever seen a bathing suit like that? It will make you do a double take!!!