Thread: Goncharov v. Mortita in Parallel Bars

Goncharov v. Mortita in Parallel Bars

Am I the only one who does not agree with this placement?

Joe

On the Ice
    I AGREE! That was completely ridiculous! There were two obvious mistakes (handstand bobble and the step on the landing), albeit not blatant but apparent enough that I feel it didn't deserve a gold medal. Especially compared to Tomita's set, which was flawless.
    Ab

The parallel bars was a fiasco!!!!!!

*why* was he in first?? why??

kat.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    That whole competition was a complete fiasco. I don't think you could have possibly put together a more inept judging panel than the group that was judging the men's events last night. Not even the worst figure-skating panel ever put together could have possibly screwed everything up that badly.

http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyCoop
    That whole competition was a complete fiasco. I don't think you could have possibly put together a more inept judging panel than the group that was judging the men's events last night. Not even the worst figure-skating panel ever put together could have possibly screwed everything up that badly.
    Jonny, ITA. The judging lost all credibility with me when the judges changed Nemov's score. That just shows me that the judges themselves didn't stand by their mark.

Quote Originally Posted by thisthingcalledlove
    Jonny, ITA. The judging lost all credibility with me when the judges changed Nemov's score. That just shows me that the judges themselves didn't stand by their mark.
    That part is not completely clear to me. According to today's paper, "The Malaysian judge raised his hand immediately upon seeing the scoreboard, indicating he had an error he wanted to fix. The Canadian followed suit."

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    That part is not completely clear to me. According to today's paper, "The Malaysian judge raised his hand immediately upon seeing the scoreboard, indicating he had an error he wanted to fix. The Canadian followed suit."
    And what was the result? Any change?

Joe

In the void
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    And what was the result? Any change?

Joe
    Yep - at least one was changed from 9.65 to 9.75 - I am not sure about the difference of the second judge, but it might have been the same.

Custom Title
    The interviewed Paul Hamm on the Today Show this morning and asked him about the scoring change. Don't know why since he didn't change the score, but there's the media for you.

Anyway, Paul also indicated that there could have been a mistake even before the crowd started booing. He didn't know if the crowd influenced the change or if the score would have been changed anyway. In either case, Nemov would have stayed in 5th place whether it was changed or not.

On a sidenote, Paul said he was the one who asked Nemov to quiet the crowd so the other gymnasts could continue. Nemov graciously agreed to do so.

Go NJ Devils
    The placement seemed odd to me. So far Ukranian athletes have shown some of the finest body lines in gymnastics and diving -- in my opinion, Kozina is as good a dancer as Khorhina -- but this is the first placement in which line seems to have overcome technical bobbles.