Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adult skaters?

Adult skaters?

Are there any adult skaters here in the forum?

I started taking lessons in 2002- freshly inspired by the Olympics
    I was 21 at the time. Skating is still something I really love to do. Are there any other 'late bloomers' around?

Fan of The Incomparable Sonja Henie Glacierskater's Avatar
    Me, me, me!!!

I started about 5 years ago. I am 34, and going to adult nationals in KC,MO in 2005. There are lots of adult skaters out there. And there are several on this board, I know. I am and adult bronze level skater, and I am working on silver right now. You are in good company. Do you compete? Where do you skate?

My goal is to get figure skating in the senior olympics. That will leave me 16 years to train for it!

I never got as high up as you. At the moment, graduating from college is my main focus and my 'skating career' (haha) is on the back burner !
    THe highest I've tested is freestyle 4. Ive never taken any moves tests or bronze, silver, etc. tests. I dont compete- it's just not my nature. I'm more of a group person, I've been in holidays shows at my local rink.

I have learned a few basic pairs moves with one of my guy friends at the rink. We both need to get back in shape though. He's been concentrating on other artistic endeavors and Ive been burried in homework. But we try! I love doing pairs backwards cross overs.

Anyhow, nice to meet you! Good luck at adult nationals, that's wonderful!

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    I got all caught-up in the Tonya/Nancy thing, and started lessons at 32 right after Lillehammer. I quit sometime after Nagano. I never went to adult nats, but I did do the adult summer camp in Lake Placid for a few summers. It was great fun and I highly recomend it.

Often I miss it, and sometimes go to a rink just to fool around. It's just that's it's so bloody expensive and takes up so much time. It is afterall, just a hobby. But it was fun and I did make some nice friends. Maybe I'll start up again when I return to the states.

I'm a 45 yr old adult skater. I skated when I was younger seriously for about 4 years then quit when I was 16. Tried to get back to it but marriage and kids got in the way. Then 8 yrs ago I moved to where their wasn't any ice rinks. Over a year ago I moved back to the San Diego area and decided to start skating again about 8 months ago. Got me a coach 2 months ago and have almost all of my single jumps back and doing pretty good with my spins. I bought me a new pair of skates and go about 3 days a week. I want to take some test and maybe compete, but for now I just enjoy skating!

I would love to skate as an adult but there are no 'adult skating' programs in my area and I would feel silly skating with the kids. I'm in my early thirties. Many moons ago I did the competitive thing.

Tripping on the Podium
    Sk8n Mama,

What about going to the rink and talking to the other parents? Ask around and see if any would like to skate on an adult session, or do a learn to skate program for adults. If you get enough interested people, approach the local club and see if they'd get a program started for adults. It might not get started until the following year because they have to schedule ice etc. but it'd be worth a try.

Good luck,
    Cassie

Rinkside
    I am turning 41 in a couple of weeks. I started skating 5/2003, never skated as a child. Hoping to test adult pre-bronze in the spring, if I can get these darn alternating forward 3s down!

Looking around at our club skate last night, it would appear that I'm the only testing/competition-oriented adult male skater in Tucson :-(.

*Passionate for Figure Skating* Ice Princess's Avatar

Adult Skaters?

I used to ice skate for fun when I was a kid-started first at about age 7 or 8. I always had a passion for figure skating-always watched it! I even got the Dorothy Hamill haircut! I've been with my husband since we were 18 & 19 & never really lived near an ice rink, then about the time we got married (1996) I found out they put up a new ice rink nearby! (in the city where we grew up) I immediately took advantage! I was about 27 then & knew to learn the proper way of figure ice skating, I had to take lessons. So, I started the Learn-To-Skate program. It was very awkward being an adult around many kids, but there were adults, who I met. I also remember an early class I took, for some reason, was just all adults. That was so awesome! They also did ice shows with the classes (if you wanted), & I did one with that class-all of us adults-& that was so awesome! I will never forget it! That was also my first ice show. I went as far as I could with the Learn-To-Skate program, then worked one on one with a coach. I eventually did a competion, then wanted to do the 2000 ISI Adult Championships! I ended up getting a gold medal! That was such a thrill-it was in Las Vegas. I had such a good time! I have also done Snapple Skate With The Stars in California before that, shortly after Tara Lipinski won the gold medal. That was also a thrill-I got to meet & skate with her! Now, my husband & bought our first home by another rink & close to the other one & I'm right now working on my skills myself. I have done an adult edge class & will work again with another coach! I have also gotten one of my neices in classes & I work with her!
    Last edited by Ice Princess; 08-27-2004 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Forgot to note something

Sounds like everyone is doing really well!

I'd love to be able to have some medals to show off, , but honestly...I think I would melt in competition. Ive found that most of the adults I skate with and who compete are very comfortable being the center of attention, while I am not. So I'd rather be a part of a pair- or even better- a synchronized team!

I think its funny though, that people who just see you skate think just because you're not tripping you must have some authority you dont. I had a little boy tell me once that he's seen me on tv that night- the world championships? I dont think so! but it was flattering anyway!
    Last edited by reverie81; 08-28-2004 at 09:15 AM. Reason: my spelling as usual!

Custom Title
    I'm 47 and skate at least 4 times a week. I don't compete, as a matter of fact I have terrible stage fright and so I am the official cheering section for the adults at my rink that do skate competitively. But I love to skate and I don't think I'll ever quit.

We're lucky in that we have maybe half a dozen adult skaters at my rink. Only one guy, though (but he's good!). The adults I skate with are notoriously supportive of each other and I couldn't ask for better friends. Most of us do our ice show every year and as adults we have pride at stake so I think we work harder on our group number than any other group. Every year at least half a dozen parents with kids in the show tell me how great the adult number is.

I do find that as I get older it takes more actual ice time to skate at the level I'm at, which mostly consists of lots of axels (which I hate) and maybe 3 double jumps that sometimes agree to show up. I have been skating for almost 11 years and it never gets old for me. Exercise as a rule stinks and I don't run unless someone is chasing me, but I could skate every day and not get tired of it.

Go Figure!
    Coaching the Psychonettes....oops the one on the end fell again!
    58 year old male figure skater who has been at it for 6 years.

I am at the FS1 level and have passed PPM.

I am also into Figures and plan to test in that track as well. Just got back from a week of Adult skating at Lake Placid.

Salchows and Shimmies!!!
    46 years old, skating for five years, currently ISI FS 2-3. I've competed ISI up through FS 2 and will compete in my first USFS competition later this year ("Adult No Test level"). I tried synchro but it wasn't for me, may try solo dance a bit this year. I also enjoy playing a bit with figures.

Rinkside
    Hi All!

I'm 22 and I just started skating last October. It's been great but I'm definately itching to progress a little faster! Of course I took the summer offf, but that's only because it just seems wrong to be inside an ice rink in 80 degree weather! I'm slowly gettng back to it, now that I decided to take a year off before starting grad school. I have to admit, I even took a job with the 3 - 11 shift just because I could get better practice ice at our local rink! I'm really hoping to take this year to polish my skills.

For my first year I feel like I've accomplished a lot. I'm working at my spins and have actually just started my waltz jump! I'm hoping to get into one revolution jumps by the end of this year - but it takes a lot of work! The hardest thing for me though, has been mastering my edges. Particularly, really perfecting my backward crossovers is killing me! Technically I can do them, but to do it correctly with the right edge is so hard! I think I'm really starting to exasperate my coach. She just keeps telling me to lean, lean, lean and not be so afraid of falling. Anyway, I'm hoping by the end of this year to master my current skills and develop a little more confidence. I'm working hard at becoming one of those skaters who isn't intimadated by speed or by other skaters flying by!

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenn
    Hi All!

I'm 22 and I just started skating last October. It's been great but I'm definately itching to progress a little faster! Of course I took the summer offf, but that's only because it just seems wrong to be inside an ice rink in 80 degree weather!
    Ha! You should try being in an ice rink when it's 110 degrees outside!

There's nothing like having your practice & lessons on a busy freestyle session to get you used to people flying by you!

Happy skating!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast