On the new judging system | Golden Skate

On the new judging system

A

ApacheApache

On the new judging system

Ok, I dont get it, if practically everyone from the skaters, coaches, commentators, media, fans to past skaters and legends is protesting about the new judging system, why on earth do they still want to carry on to implement it? Coupled with the fact that the ranges of marks for both techical merit and presentation are ridiculously wide, I just don't understand why they stubbornly refuse to at least make changes in the new system.

The idea of randomly choosing 9 out of 14 judges for a competition to minimise corruption is excellent but alas, the idea of hiding their identities is stupid and it defeats the whole purpose of minimising corruption. Alright, so hiding the identity of the judges who give the marks is the main problem, fine, if they still want to implement it why not improve on it? May I be so bold as to suggest (might be laughable) they reveal what judges who give what marks at the end of a competition? By doing so, the judges no longer dare misbehave because although during the competition they are not revealed, at the end of the competition everybody will know them.

E

eltamina

Re: On the new judging system

I think they are trying something different for the next season, stay tune.

J

Joesitz

Apache - I haven't read the new rules of judging, i.e., selecting 9 judges out of 14 to actually be crediting the marks.

But from what I've been told that there are 14 different judges for each round of a single competition: QR,SP,FS. I actually don't mind that. If it is true, it makes it more difficult for 1-3 judges to be in complete corruption.

Well, what do I know...

Joe

A

ApacheApache

Joesitz, from what I read, the computer pre-selects 9 out of 14 judges and uses the same set of judges for the whole competition, qualifying, sp and lp. I might have missed something. Assuming I'm right, that's a very smart way to minimise corruption and block judging while maintaining the coherence in judging. However, concealing their identites makes the whole idea of minimising corruption useless. That's why I think a better way is reveal the judges at the end of the competition and have the referee screw those who give questionable marks. :lol:

L

Ladskater

ApacheApache:

The new judging system is "a work in progress." I think there have been some improvements over the old system. Although, I am not really sure why there has to be 14 judges. I still think the real key to the whole issue is to educate judges (who have never skated in their lives) in skating basics. I also think those judging ice dance should be former ice dancers. I am sure some of them are, but one wonders. With the old system, deals were constantly being made before the competition - that was the main problem. It seems to have been addressed with the anonymous system. I think that is why they are keeping the anonymity. It's too tempting for judges to get together and make deals if they know who is judging what. I am sure it will take time for it all to work, after all "Rome was not built in a day."

Ladskater

A

ApacheApache

Oh yes, I just found out about another new judging system that rewards element by element with a fixed range of points. Sounds like a bad idea as many posters put it.