V.P. doesn't want ban on gay marriage | Golden Skate

V.P. doesn't want ban on gay marriage

I see the problem with gay marriage is the use of the term 'marriage'. Gay activists want the term 'marriage' because they claim all the written laws use that term. Anti gay activists see the word marriage as sanctimonius and can only be applied to a man and a woman, despite the 60 per cent divorce rate in the USA.

I believe if the gay activists would accept the term 'partnership' and all the laws be changed to include that term, they would succeed in obtaining their freedom for all rights. I think most of Americans are beyond that stigma about gays.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
When we had the debate in Massachusetts, one state congressman suggested doing away with state marriage all together. In other words, heterosexual couples, if they chose to get hitched in the city hall, would have a "civil union", not a "marriage". This way, there would be complete equality between heterosexual and homosexual couples, without giving the homosexual unions the "marriage" title. I think the whole debate is more compicated here in the US than in Europe because the priest/ rabbi/ imam can sign the state marriage certificate. I believe in most European countries you have to get your marriage certificate in city hall, and then you can have whatever ceremony you want in any religious/ cultural institution.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
kinda off topic but I saw something in an article the other day that threw me off guard... does Chenny have a daughter who is gay? it'd explain why he's disagreeing with Bush on the gay marriage thing a little more... just wondering...

it's a sad day in Alaska... the primaries are complete and the wrong person got the nod for the republican candidate! :( (ok so that's my opinion but still)

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Tonichelle said:
kinda off topic but I saw something in an article the other day that threw me off guard... does Chenny have a daughter who is gay? it'd explain why he's disagreeing with Bush on the gay marriage thing a little more... just wondering...
:laugh: It's not off topic at all! The article I linked to above, the inspiraion for this entire thread, talks about the daughter Mary and her influence.

Quote:
Vice-President Cheney said he and his wife "have a gay daughter, so it's an issue our family is very familiar with".

Regarding the issue of same-sex relationships, he said, "my general view is freedom means freedom for everyone".

bronxgirl

Medalist
There is a groupd of gay Republicans who call their club the "Log Cabin Republicans" IIRC, I wonder who they're going to support this year.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I like the idea of EVERYONE having a civil union, like in Europe, as Ptichka said. Then if you still want a church ceremony, you can go and have one. And then gays and lesbians could "get married" in Unitarian churches, among others.

Laura :)

PS I hope this was Cheney's real opinion, and not a way to portray the Republican party as a bit more tolerant. I'm going to actually give Dickie the benefit of the doubt this time. It just would've been nice if he'd spoken out earlier.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
He thinks that it's up to each state to decide it's laws

LOL....because that always works out so well in the South! They tried to let the states decide what to do with all of the free slaves after the Civil War. Guess what? Almost every Southern state found a way to re-inslave the freed slaves! Eventual Congressional intervention helped...but today the legacy of the failures of the Reconstruction period are still evident. You let a racist state handle a problem and you are going to get a result tinged with racism. Or, perhaps that is what they want. They can let someone else do the dirty job they don't want to take the blame for. I'm sorry, but if you let any of the states in my region of the country have free reign...you might as well get ready to see gays, minorities, etc. being shipped North. Get some balls, Cheney, and do what you know is right: support YOUR gay daughter.

heyang

Record Breaker
This whole thing aggravates me to no end. If marriage is a sacrament and the church says that it must be between a man & a woman, then the term should only be applied to couples married in a church. My parents did not got get married in a church; so, technically, they only have a civil union.

Overall, I support the gay 'marriages' because I don't understand why marriage is limited to heterosexual couples in a legal definition.

I'm kinda curious. Is it only the Roman Catholic Church that defines marriage as between a man & woman? What is the belief in Judaism, Christianity, Islam, all the flavors of Protestant churches, etc?