Synchronized swimming | Golden Skate

Synchronized swimming

Wow, did you guys see the Russian sync pair last night? So far, this is my favorite sport of these Olympics, along with trampoline and kayaking.

Mathman

jesslily

Final Flight
Before, I thought the only thing I like to watch is the gymnastics. After watching the syncronized swiming, I found another sport I truely enjoy in the Summer Game. Skating is dance on the ice, and syncronized swiming is dance in the water.

hockeyfan228 said:
Just when you thought you'd never have to hear the music from Don Quixote ever again :)
:laugh: Still, I thought the Russians were the only team that actually made use of their music. Also the Japanese (second place), who I thought had a very well integrated program to a "Japanese Doll" theme in the preliminaries.

BTW, I noted that the Russian team got a 10.0 -- from the Russian judge.

Their lowest mark was a 9.8 -- from the Japanese judge!

Mathman

The USA synchro swimmers have the best commercial too, the one for AFFLAK with the duck. Inspired.

Seriously, the Russians were amazing.
Rgirl

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
The USA synchro swimmers have the best commercial too, the one for AFFLAK with the duck. Inspired.
The Canadians have one, too, on CBC. It starts with a male diver, who finds himself in the pool with synchronized swimmers when he emerges after his dive. He then joins in the routine, and is pretty good.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm so mad I missed today's Team Technical program. NBC shipped it off to Bravo and I missed it (it was supposed to be on afternoon NBC coverage originally)! :(

Bummer, Purplecat. I don't know how good this link is, but I'll be giving it a try for more synchro swimming as well as rhythmic gymnastics. Rhythmic gymnasts make artistic gymnasts look stiff, I swear.
http://sfgate/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2004/08/26/sports1213EDT0316.DTL

Here's a partial listing from that link for "equestrian," which is most likely jumping, but may also include dressage.
WHEN TO WATCH FRIDAY (TIMES PDT, SUBJECT TO CHANGE):
NBC (12:30pm to 4pm) equestrian [anytime between 12:30pm & 4pm PDT]
Bravo (5pm to 8 pm; midnight to 1am) rhythmic gymastics.

The complete list is at the link cited above. Watch Rhythmic Gymnastics and you'll never call Sasha Cohen "the bendy girl" again ;).
Rgirl

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
RGirl I posted in another thread earlier today that I think Sasha would be a great rhythmic gymnist. I love the longer lines and your right the flexibility is amazing :eek: . I would love to be ablo to put all of my joints through complete ROM like that just to get all of the crooks out, LOL.

Johar

Medalist
What a tough sport. I still don't know how they do those skills. And without touching the bottom of the pool! :eek:

mpal2

Final Flight
They mentioned that US women got the synchro gold in Atlanta but didn't even medal in Sydney. Did the team just lose strong members or did home crowd advantage factor in? Have other countries stepped up the pressure?

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
mpal2...I believe after the U.S. team won in 96 all the members retired. I think a couple of those members made a late comeback for 00 though. The U.S. dominated Synchronized Swimming through that year 1996. And that team in 1996 was almost like a "Dream Team". Many of the top U.S. synchro swimmers stayed in the sport because that was the first year the team event was contested. They were so great that year!

But other countries, especially Russia (Canada and Japan were always good) caught up and the U.S. had rebuilding years. Canada has had to rebuild as well. But Russia is definitely the powerhouse country now!

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
2000 was also the year, I think, when they allowed Bill May to compete for the US. Sadly, they haven't allowed him to compete since =(

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
What an interesting and beautiful sport. I can't believe I've missed this. I only caught the team portion, but I thought it was great. And, with scores for technical and artistic elements even! Russia was so precise and all of their moves were so solid. I also thought Japan was extremely impressive.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Actually Bill May was never allowed to perform with the team at the Olympics nor at the Worlds I believe. He was allowed to perform with the team and in the duet with Kristina Lum (I loved her! :)) at the 1998 Goodwill Games. He also performed with the Santa Clara Aquamaids at several U.S. Nationals and won many titles with them as well as a couple of duet titles.

JOHIO2

Medalist
the synchronized team finals were fantastic. What those ladies do is amazing. I just wish we got to see this more than once every four years.

mpal2

Final Flight
I don't know enough about synchro swimming to argue who should have won, but I loved the Japanese team the best.

Thanks purplecat. Do you know enough about synchro swimming to say where the US team is headed in terms of rebuilding?

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
mpal2...I don't know how the U.S. will do in the future. I do know that Anna Kozlova is a long-time veteran. She used to compete for Russia. I think she competed in 1992 for Russia, either as a duet or solo (which was an Olympic event from 1984 to 1992...team was added in 1996 and solo was dropped). She then switched to America, but had to wait out 1996 because of citizenship. She competed in both the duet and solo in 2000 and this year where she won two bronzes. I believe she is now retiring.

I looked up ages on the Athens site since you asked. Anna is 31! Wow! The rest of the ages of the U.S. team are: 19, 20, 21, 21, 22, 24, 27, 29. Quite a range! But a lot of young talent it seems! :) By the way...there were nine on the whole team. One girl only did the technical program and one only did the free.

I'm no synchro expert, but I love it and have since I first saw it in 1984! Kind of like ice dancing! I'm not an expert...wouldn't dare say who should and shouldn't win, but I love it!