Horse Dancing | Golden Skate

Horse Dancing

OK, I just saw my new favorite sport -- Musical Freestyle Dressage! Anky van Grunsven and Salinero rock!

Big Sal (Netherlands) got huge marks in the category "rhythm, musicality and elasticity" to edge out the German silver medalist, who danced to Carmen Burina. I think Spain actually came in second in this part of the competition, but finished third overall. They were all magnificent. :love:

Mathman

bronxgirl

Medalist
Anky has rocked the dressage world for quite a while. Let's not forget our own team with Brentina (the horse) and Debbie McDonald (rider) who took 4th.
Props to all of the medalists and our USET!!!

Linny

Final Flight
New favorite sport

Yeah, Mathman, for discovering this. The audience at these competitions is rather thin, so if you want to see some musical freestyle live, check the www.usef.org schedule of events and pop over to the dressage competition in your area. Look for the larger shows (called CDI shows) to have the best chance of seeing horse dancing.

The parallels to figure skating are frequent. The ice dancing is closest since it requires particular tempos - horse dancing is based on the horse's natural gaits of walk, trot and canter. The music is chosen that best compliments the way that the horse is already moving.

My own horse and I dance to a mixture of Irish music.

Linny

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
What? I've never in my life heard of "horse dancing"! It sounds very interesting, though. Have they televised this portion of the Olympics?

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
BronzeisGolden said:
What? I've never in my life heard of "horse dancing"! It sounds very interesting, though. Have they televised this portion of the Olympics?
On Bravo, in the middle of the night.

I have a friend who was seriously into dressage, aka "horse dancing" (I like that better), when she was in her 20s and early 30s. Seeing it live and close up is simply stunning. And man, can you ever tell that the horses know they're competing. There are the "diva" horses, the "stud" (not in the typical sense) horses, all the personality types we see in athletes. My friend swore her horse would malinger (fake a limp) if he didn't feel like competing.

Seriously, to watch a dressage competition on the North Shore of Long Island at the height of autumn is incredibly beautiful. You need a lot of money though.
Rgirl

bronxgirl

Medalist
My former riding instructor was a student of Robert Dover and would head to Wellington in the winter to work with him. One year while I was visiting another friend, I got to go over and see them work in the morning, and see a competition. Rgirl, you are so right about those horses - they know they are magnificent creatures, and they look at you from ther stall as if trying to determine if you are worthy enough to be in their presence (I think it was thumbs down on me :D )
(And welcome back Rgirl - we all missed ya!)

Last edited:

JOHIO2

Medalist
I like watching the dressage as well as the "dancing" to music. Hey, when do the dancing dogs and obedience get to be an Olympic event?

Johar

Medalist
I missed it, but there was a gorgeous black horse with 4 white socks named Solinaro doing dressage on TV.

Sigh.......

bronxgirl

Medalist
That was the gold medal winner Anky Van Grunsven and her horse Salinero performing. One of the best dressage riders ever - her prior horse Bonfire was given a nice retirement party by Anky when it was time for him to enjoy the "oats of his labors" :D