Dick Button Misses Point of | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Dick Button Misses Point of

L

Ladskater

Re: Dick Button Misses Point of

sarahmistral:

It used to be pretty much that way in ice dance - that is why the general public never understood the judging. That is why Bourne and Kraatz were working so hard to change things and I think they accomplished their goal. Ice dance couples do move up the ranks now according to their performance and the gold medal is not just handed to the next couple in line. I think that will probably be their biggest legacy to the ice dance discipline - demanding better trained judges. They definitely left their "mark" on ice dance.

Ladskater

K

Kasey

Think about it....

Dick Button is OLD! He gets older every year (of course, we ALL do!) :D I think he is missing more and more points all the time....I vote for Todd Eldredge to be the next American figure skating commentator! :)
Kasey

I

IWannabeASkater

Re: Think about it....

Kasey, I do think Todd would make a good commentator. He seems like he could report accuratly yet fairly and objectively. Also he just seems like an all around nice guy. But I still like Dick, though, even if he can be....I'm not even sure what word I'm looking for LOL.

Lad, I <em>still</em> don't understand ice dance judging! I try to like watching, I really do, but I have no clue how to rank the couples against each other and know who should win. I just know who I liked and that's probably not the best way to rank them...

Maybe we should start a thread sometime for ice dance clueless people to get educated.

~ Jen

G

Grgranny

Re: Think about it....

Watch out what you say about how old Dick is. I was born the same year he was! :rollin:

L

Ladskater

Todd would be a good replacement for Dick. I wonder if he has ever considered it. What about Paul Wylie? He would make a great commentator.

Ladskater

J

Joesitz

Has anyone heard Todd do commentary on Figure Skating?

Joe

K

Kasey

Never heard him say a thing about it Joesitz! I just mention Todd because he is knowledgable, I like how he uses words (from hearing and reading interviews with him, he speaks intelligently) and he seems genuinely nice. Of course, knowledge of a sport does NOT automatically translate into an ability to speak of said sport (i.e., Boomer Esiason!)

D

DORISPULASKI

Paul is very articulate and has done a nice job with the Jimmy Fund Evening of Champions show. However, he is up to his eyebrows in the WSF. Would there be any problems with ABC and their renegotiations of their contract with USFSA/ISU if Paul were in their stable?

dpp

S

southwestwind

Joe

One of the laudable things about CTV coverage of Worlds is they show all the Canadian skaters, no matter where (how low) they place. Most of the time these skates are, of course, taped and put ahead of the live skates. Unf. we do not get to see the compulsary dances unless there is a real problem (accident, bad fall, the roof caves in etc).

So yes, Joannie was shown and even interviewed...Canadain fans would have been very surprised not to have seen her skates. CTV typically then goes on to show the top 6 skaters, sometimes the top eight. There are very few fluff pieces to get this all in. They made a decision to do this several years ago. They asked for opinions and viewers wanted to see skating, so they cram in as much as they can.

For the coverage of Canadian nationals, CTV also shows the Junior champs for each event. Thus we have been seeing Joannie since 2000.

The year she went from Junior to Senior, she was hot to place and went out and did not deliver (to her expectations). She was very upset at centre ice during her bows. The next year, she was back and #2, pushing Jennifer Robinson hard. A little anger and experience go a long way with this skater.

In the CTV interview after her Free Skate at Worlds, she was very upset she had not skated her best (in her mind). Should history repeat itself, she will be a threat in the very near future. I hope so, the Canadian team will need some strength from now that B/K have gone.

Someone asked if Elvis commentated on CTV for the Gala...nope, just Rod, Tracey and Debbie.

J

Joesitz

Hi SouthWW - So Joannie and Jennifer are rivals. Why not? Everyone in the same competition are friendly but NOT friends, and that's how it should be. If Joannie hangs in there, she will be a contender (if the judges allow her to be).

As to the topic, anyone in Canada who has experience and can take Dick's place?

Joe

K

Kara Bear

I like to see Tollar Cranston commentate...that would be a hoot!!!

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

Tollar is definately a kick to listen to :lol: dad loves his "politically incorrect" statements... especially when it comes to Katarina Witt :rolleyes: :lol:

D

DORISPULASKI

Bring back Toller!

I wish one of the networks would bring him back! He always had such interesting comments. However he sued his last Canadian network employer for wrongful termination, I believe, and Collected. Other networks are likely to stay away.

dpp

J

Joesitz

Re: Bring back Toller!

With all these names being mentioned, what I would like to see is a sort of Round Table Discussion after the competitions composed of many of the names already mentioned.

Just sitting around, sippling a glass a wine, and speaking out on what they saw. (a half hour show at least)

Like we fans, I am sure they will not agree but it would be a hoot to see them go at it. And in some cases bring out something no one thought of. Maybe the Skating Channel?

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
Commentators and Judges

1. About the judges. Following is what I posted on another board where dance result is disscused. May be a little off the topic.
"
Actually the 9 judges' score were used in whole FD events, thus B/K and L/A were judged by the same 9 judges. These 9 judges were selected befor the competetion start. In fact there is no actual difference than the old system (as judgeing wide, 9 judges, the same judge rules) except that the 9 judges now are selected by the computer system instead of picked by commitee(or whoever human being).

So you can't really blame 'stupid, inefficient system'. Since it could well be the same 9 judges picked by the commitee.

The system was designed to hide the 9 scored judge's identity from the public and the judge themself so less pressure from the general public and the judge's federation. The theory is judges would not take the risk to make deal with others without even knowing if his score is counted. However at the same time it also provide the env for sloppy judging (except the top 3 in all desipline, the scores and placements are all over the places) and cheated judging.

The way this screwed system display the scores adds more confusion to the general public. Soon the general public will lost the interesting in sport. What's the point you watch a competetion when the scores tells you A win while actual result is otherwise?

Read from several board that ISU was talking to improve the way the score displaied. I'm not sure if they are decide to pair up the 2 scores (TM,PM) with the ordials. If they do then the whole purpose of 'the judge him self would not know if his score counted' gose to toilet. Since after a few skaters' score and placement displaied one would know which judge's score is counted. It is not hard to figure out by a program. One way or other the system is screwed itsself.
"

2. About the comentators.
ITA with whoever said that ABC; also NBC? where Scot and Sandra did SLC; has a long way to go compare to EuroSport and/or CTV.

I was listening to EuroSport over the web. The commentators gave each skaters due credit for what ever they deserved. Very technique very objective and not kept jabbering away during the program. Very little commercials. I think ABC put in too much commercials and fluffys, which force the commentators have to put in all their comments during the program it was so distract. While with EuroSport, they gave their majore comments during K&C time when the slomo show on jumbtron in arena.

I only read some commentary through diff boards on web, from what I read I believe CTV also done a better job than ABC.

3. Questions
Dose CTV have the new contract to cover FS next season?
What I hope is we can get some commentators from EuroSport and CTV (I guess we already had Tracy for a few times?) over here in US TV station. Well at most I can do is subscribe CTV from my local Cable providers if CTV still have the contract next season.