Hughes leaving college, joining SOI | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Hughes leaving college, joining SOI

lavender

Record Breaker
She might lose some weight but I think this is her new womanly body. She wasn't a force in '03 and I don't think that would change much with COP and the new crop of skaters.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Somehow I have a feeling Sarah's 'thinking' about the 2006 Olympics isn't about competing.

She's been doing reporting on the 2004 Summer Olympics for CBS. She's joining SOI which is organized by Scott Hamilton. Scott Hamilton is the NBC Olympic figure skating commentator. He is on the outs with his former Olympic cohort, Sandra Bezic. Get my drift?

lavender

Record Breaker
I think she should tour with SOI. That would be good for her and if she decides to compete then that will be something to see.

soogar

Record Breaker
Re Todd:
The USFSA's problem was that Todd was not planning on competing in the eligible competitions (Grarnd Prix) yet he was still getting money from the USFSA as an eligible. That was why they were on him to compete in Nationals b/c why give a skater money for exclusivity and then this same skater wants to go on IMG's tour and get paid from them as well. Todd tried to have it both ways and the USFSA wouldn't stand for it and I agree with them. Todd went with SOI b/c it was a better deal than COI (which gives money to the USFSA). Why would the USFSA in turn give $ to Todd when he wasn't even going to represent the US in international competition? If Todd was going to continue competing, the USFSA would not have had a problem with his eligibilty.

Concerning eligibility, there are two standards. Basically the ISU says that the skater could not skate in an unsanctioned event and then the federations have their own requirements. Sury Bonaly had problems with the French federation concerning her eligibility when she wanted to do one tour but they wanted her to do another. The Russians don't really care as long as their skaters win and the US wants to protect its arrangements with Tom Collins. I think there needs to be one standard determined by the ISU.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At this time, Sarah is in no kind of physical shape for international competition anyway. Heck, she wasn't podium-competitive at 2003 Worlds, when she was in training, and she's been away from the rink for nearly 18 months since then. Meanwhile, her body has changed drastically and she'll probably have to adjust her jump technique accordingly.

Show skating would seem to be her only option right now.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
soogar said:
Re Todd:
The USFSA's problem was that Todd was not planning on competing in the eligible competitions (Grarnd Prix) yet he was still getting money from the USFSA as an eligible. That was why they were on him to compete in Nationals b/c why give a skater money for exclusivity and then this same skater wants to go on IMG's tour and get paid from them as well. Todd tried to have it both ways and the USFSA wouldn't stand for it and I agree with them. Todd went with SOI b/c it was a better deal than COI (which gives money to the USFSA). Why would the USFSA in turn give $ to Todd when he wasn't even going to represent the US in international competition? If Todd was going to continue competing, the USFSA would not have had a problem with his eligibilty.
I hadn't realized Todd Eldredge or any other skater received a salary from the USFSA to be eligible and win them medals....

Dr. Frog, or anyone who knows, so the problem was that Todd in a way was able to do cheesefests because he was eligible and the federation wanted him to be in cheesefests but they ALSO wanted him to compete at Nationals and do other events, which he didn't. Am I right? But it's the USFSA who invites skaters. Couldn't they just not invite him to the cheesefests if that was the problem? Or there were contracts involved already? I'm not getting why he was said to be turning pro if in fact he lost his eligibility in 2003. Why couldn't he skate at Nationals if he wanted, after that dispute with the federation?

I remember the controversy, but at the time I didn't pay much attention to all the discussion.

dr.frog

On the Ice
Todd was under contract to the USFSA for a long time. You may recall the fuss in the fall of 1998 when Tara Lipinski broke her megabucks USFSA contract and turned pro. Well, Todd and Michelle Kwan had also been placed under similar contracts at the same time as Tara, before the 1998 Olympics. Todd was getting paid something like $500K per year (the exact numbers appear on the USFSA's financial disclosure sheets which are public information) which covered appearance fees at cheesefests and compensation for his time and the use of his name for promotional work on behalf of other USFSA events. The source of this money was the ABC TV contract.

I don't know or remember all the details, but IIRC Todd's USFSA contract expired after the 2002 season and the USFSA told him that if he wanted to continue to get paid after that, he was going to have to commit to competing at Nationals as well as the cheesefests. Todd had already signed up to do SOI at that point, the schedule constraints meant he couldn't compete at the same time he was on tour, and in the end Todd decided he'd rather do SOI.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I suspect this is a great business move for Stars on Ice and a great way for Hughes to test whether she wants to go back for one more year of eligible skating, if the USFSA gives her a waiver.

bronxgirl

Medalist
I still feel sorry for the kid on the waiting list for Yale who didn't get to go becuase Sarah took his/her place. I hope that if she is taking time off, she appreciates the opportunities given to her due to celebrity, and not just because of good grades and hard work. Alot of journalism majors would have done almost anything to have been given her slot on the New York CBS outlet.

There hasn't been any announcement about Sarah joining SOI on the SOI site. Until I see it announced there I'm taking this with a grain of salt.
As an avid fan of SOI, I am not thrilled about this news, if it's true. I do not dislike Sarah, I just don't love her enough to be excited about her joining SOI.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
bronxgirl said:
I still feel sorry for the kid on the waiting list for Yale who didn't get to go becuase Sarah took his/her place. I hope that if she is taking time off, she appreciates the opportunities given to her due to celebrity, and not just because of good grades and hard work. Alot of journalism majors would have done almost anything to have been given her slot on the New York CBS outlet.
:confused:

You don't have to be a celebrity to take a year off in college LOL Lots of people do this and I'm glad they can. College and education are important but there is more to life than that and if you have the opportunity and want to try something that may even change your life, go for it. She is in Yale because she worked for it, it's not like she owes anything to anybody. If she is allowed to skip one or two years because she needs to decide what to do with her life, then so be it.

paralegalmkfan

Rinkside
Someone mentioned something about Sarah coming back and winning the Olympics in 2006. Having watched most of the Olympics these past couple of weeks, one thing that has really stuck out in my mind is the very small number of athletes who won gold in 2000 not being able to defend their gold at these Olympics ~ and these are athletes that have been training hard and continuously for the years in between the two Olympics.

Sarah hasn't competed since April of 2003 and was not in the best shape then. She admits to not having been on the ice in 18 months. She's gained a lot of weight and like someone else said, this is probably her permanent adult body. While it's not impossible for her to come back, I think its improbable that she could get her old form back, let alone fix her technical flaws, in time for the 2006 Olympics.

Having said all of that, I hope if Sarah does skate with SOI that it's a wonderful experience for her. At this point I'd rather see her in a show-type atmosphere rather than coming back as a competitor. My last images of her as a competitive skater are unfortunately her problems at Worlds and then how she skated at the last cheesefest she participated in. Whatever she does, I wish her the best. :)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well this is all very interesting and exciting news.

Dee

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just read on another board that the Lake Placid SOI skaters were announced and it lists Sarah. This person on the board gives out very, very reliable information. So I am thinking that this is all true.

Dee

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
bronxgirl said:
I still feel sorry for the kid on the waiting list for Yale who didn't get to go becuase Sarah took his/her place.

I can understand this feeling if Sarah had registered for classes and not finished the semester leaving an empty seat in the classroom, but she didn't. The "place" she took at Yale didn't belong to anyone else, it was hers and it was used the same way any other entering freshman used their "place." Not every student who starts a university degree will finish it and not every student completes their degree in four or even five continuous years. The education Sarah received for the year she was at Yale isn't wasted. It's hers to keep, just like that gold medal.

Nan

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Sarah is young, talented, and has money (or her family does). She is undecided about her life - doesn't seem too unusual for a 19 year old. I remember wondering at Nationals in 2003 what Sarah would do with a program choreographed by someone other than Robin Wagner. Guess I'm going to find out :laugh: . I always liked Sarah the person and admired her competition nerves. It seemed like her programs had a lot of MITF which would be good under COP. Of course, the jump technique problems would probably hurt her. It will be interesting to see how she does with SOI. I wish her good luck.

Maureen

mpal2

Final Flight
Maureen,

You bring up a good point about seeing Sarah skate to a program not choreographed by Robin. :laugh: I don't love or hate Sarah's skating, I'm kind of blah about it and I always wondered what another choreographer could do for her. Maybe I'll like her better. :) I think I'm actually looking forward to seeing at least one more appearance.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
shine said:
Wow she really takes her Yale education seriously. :sheesh:

Maybe she is taking her LIFE a little more seriously? Face it Sarah has had to be successful on several levels in order to have all of these options. Isn't this the American dream and why we encourage our kids to work hard and to be well rounded individuals so that they can have OPTIONS to do what makes them happy? I have never been a Sarah fan but I don't see how anyone can second guess her decisions here. I would think the window for opportunity of skating with S.O.I. will not always be there especially if she does not defend her title in Turino. She can always further her education, maybe not as easily as if she had stayed at Yale now, and then again it may be easier for her later. I think that she really wanted to have that freshman year at college experience with her peers....something she couldn't get later. IMO Sarah is being wise to grab the once in a lifetime opportunities, freshman year at college, touring with S.O.I. and taking advantage of them. So, good for her.

Last edited:

Gipson

Rinkside
Bah, college isn't so great anyway. And yes, I'm just still bitter about my own school experience :)