Hughes leaving college, joining SOI | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Hughes leaving college, joining SOI

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
It's not uncommon to have ice in the drinks, but it's not a rule, I'd say. It probably depends on the place you go. From my experience (although I've never been to England) if you go out to a bar at night they usually serve the drinks with ice. In a restaurant though, if you want ice in your drink you probably have to ask for it (but I don't see anyone give you funny looks for that). In fast food restaurants (McDonalds for example) it can be both ways, but it's very common to use ice. I never really gave it much thought because we have it both ways, it really depends on the place. Of course that if you are used to only ice drinks you might find it a little strange.
Red Dog said:
here's a question though: you mention that you in particular like ice drinks. So, do you have to ASK the waiter to put ice in your drink when you eat out? Or do they just give it to you? Just curious.
Well, I usually prefer ice drinks only in the summer when it's really hot LOL and I ask for ice right away when I ask the drink, just in case. The other times, I don't ask for it (unless I see it isn't cold the way I like when it is served). I don't want to spoil it by adding more "unnecessary" water.

Last edited:

mpal2

Final Flight
Lucy25 said:
Every time I have been in England and Ireland I have had to ask for ice in my drinks and they look at me really funny. I also remember having to ask for it in Paris - in fact it said in the tour book to ask for ice if I wanted it!

That sounds like my kind of vacation. I always have to ask for no ice here and get strange looks. I hate trying to take a sip and getting smacked by an ice cube. Plus ice just wastes space for the actual drink. My conspiracy theory is that American business put ice in drinks to make a bigger profit. :laugh:

S

SkateFan4Life

euterpe said:
The USFSA did NOT give Todd a waiver. He THOUGHT they had, but when he signed with SOI, the USFSA told him he was ineligible. So if Sarah signs with SOI, she cannot skate in the 2006 Olympics.

Every skating federation has its own policy with regard to eligibility. Russia and Canada allow skaters to sign with SOI and still keep eligibility, but the USFSA does not.

Whatever happened with Sarah's plans for medical school?

Maybe Sarah wants to cash in (literally) for her Olympic Gold Medal by joining Stars on Ice. As you wrote, Todd Eldredge THOUGHT he had a USFSA waiver to skate with SOI and retain his eligibility - and he lost his eligibility. If Sarah wants to return to the eligible ranks, she had better be very careful to ensure she and the USFSA are on the same page.

Sarah is only 19, and she could still have several more seasons as a top-ranked eligible competitive skater IF she gets back to the rink and trains as hard, if not harder, than she trained going into the 2001-2002 season. She needs those triple/triple combinations and all the artistic merit she can muster.
Will it be difficult for her to regain her form? Probably. Did she skate at all during her freshman year at Yale?

Sarah can certainly go to medical school at a later date. Paul Wylie graduated from Harvard at the age of 27, he skated several years with SOI, then he returned to Harvard and earned his MBA in his early 30s.

Don't count Sarah Hughes out for anything. I think she is one very talented and determined young woman.

You go, girl!

MinnMan

Rinkside
RealtorGal said:
Many students take a year or so off from college then return.

I was out of High School over 7 years and went back to college. I would never have gotten the good grades I did right our of high school. I grew up some in Korea, in the US army.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
SkateFan4Life said:
Maybe Sarah wants to cash in (literally) for her Olympic Gold Medal by joining Stars on Ice. As you wrote, Todd Eldredge THOUGHT he had a USFSA waiver to skate with SOI and retain his eligibility - and he lost his eligibility. If Sarah wants to return to the eligible ranks, she had better be very careful to ensure she and the USFSA are on the same page.

Maybe I remember it wrong, but didn´t that about USFSA apply only to Todd´s second SOI season?

Marjaana

dr.frog

On the Ice
Jaana said:
Maybe I remember it wrong, but didn´t that about USFSA apply only to Todd´s second SOI season?

Here we go again -- when will this urban legend finally die? Todd's dispute with the USFSA in the fall of 2002 was because he wanted to continue to get paid big bucks for doing their cheesefests without committing to compete at Nationals, *not* over his eligibility status. SOI only came into it because schedule conflicts would have prevented Todd from both competing and touring full-time. Todd didn't lose his eligibility until he skated in an unsanctioned pro competition in late 2003.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
dr.frog said:
Here we go again -- when will this urban legend finally die? Todd's dispute with the USFSA in the fall of 2002 was because he wanted to continue to get paid big bucks for doing their cheesefests without committing to compete at Nationals, *not* over his eligibility status. SOI only came into it because schedule conflicts would have prevented Todd from both competing and touring full-time. Todd didn't lose his eligibility until he skated in an unsanctioned pro competition in late 2003.

Well, that actually was Todd´s second season so to speak. After the 2002 Olympics he joined SOI and had a waiver for the rest of the shows in that tour, didn´t he?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
dr.frog said:

Well, that actually was Todd´s second season so to speak. After the 2002 Olympics he joined SOI and had a waiver for the rest of the shows in that tour, didn´t he? Of course he did not lose his eligibility until he competed in a pro competition.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
It's Official....

I didn't see these posted yet, so here goes:

http://www.starsonice.com/news/detailnews.asp?NewsID=291 (from Stars on Ice)

http://www.bladesonice.com/mag/blaweb1.htm (from Blades on Ice - scroll down)

I'm curious to see how she will do. I'm sure she will be warmly received. I would imagine that Christopher Dean will probably choreograph a program for her - if not, I wonder who would. Lori Nichol? Sarah Kawahara? Kurt Browning? The possibilities are endless. I plan on going. Good luck, Sarah!!!

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
It's also official that SOI won't be coming to Fresno this year, or Bakersfield......that figures........... :( 42

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Show-The official SOI schedule is not up yet. Those are only the confirmed stops from LAST year when you could order advance tickets. I am sure other cities will be added to that list in due time. Have faith!! :D

JOHIO2

Medalist
Hey Herm,
The possibilities for a choreographer aren't limitless. Didn't Sandra Bezic do a Richard Nixon and claim she was out the skating world? Wonder how much crow she'd need to eat and what feet she'd need to kiss to resign with SOI?

S

SkateFan4Life

berthes ghost said:
I blame the New York Post, who seens intent on making her a huge celebrity that the rest of the world isn't interested in that much.

Of course she is free to make up her own mind, do as she pleases, etc.. and I agree that a teen changing her mind is not front page news. However, I can see how some could get kinda snarky about it, as it's not just her changing her mind, it's us being told repeatedly in the press that each new decision is the best. How many propaganda articles were we treated to where she had all but given up skating totally, was loving college and wanted to go on a be a Doctor, which some of the articles implied was somehow much more nobel than being merely a world class skater as a career? Now all of a suddden were suppose to get excited because she's chucked college and is interested in skating again.

Maybe if the media didn't exagerate and play up every move, they would seem more normal.

Good points. When I was 19, I was a full-time college student; however, I wasn't an Olympic champion, rich, famous, etc. :laugh: :laugh: How can anyone compare full-time academic studies - which we all know can be boring and tedious at times - to the glamour and wealth that can be obtained by skating as a headliner in SOI?

Frankly, I will not lose any sleep, regardless of what Sarah decides to do, and I hope nobody out there loses any sleep, either. Whatever Sarah decides to do, she's the one who will have to live with it. If she has lost the technical edge and looks rusty and out of shape in SOI, she'll deal with it. If she enjoys a successful return to skating and later has problems adjusting to life as a college student, she'll deal with it.

Really, guys, haven't we all changed out minds and "flip-flopped" from time to time, especially when we were 19? :laugh: