2017-19 Splits & Partner Changes | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017-19 Splits & Partner Changes

ice coverage

Record Breaker
New U.S. pairs, both training with Coach Dalilah Sappenfield:

- Ainsley Peterson and Matthew Rounis.

They have been training together for about a week.

Peterson and former partner placed sixth in Junior Pairs at 2018 Nats.
Rounis and former partner placed ninth.​

- And it seems that Eliana Secunda and Jacob Simon are a new pair.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg7gthrBc8k/?hl=en&taken-by=_elliepie_

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg2LRD7Fh-I/?hl=en&taken-by=coach.dalilah

Secunda and former partner placed tenth in Junior Pairs at 2018 Nats.

Simon and former partner Yao placed fourteenth in Senior Pairs at 2018 Nats.
(Yao was battling illness at Nats -- the "bug" that was going around, I believe.)​

Mentioning here in the absence of a thread for U.S. Pairs.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Another new U.S. pair:

Jessica Calalang and Brian Johnson, per his Instagram today:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhhIFlVFnXE/?taken-by=bj.81 (Apr 13)​

In hindsight, I now can make better sense of a recent post from Chelsea Liu (on Instagram story, maybe?): a photo of both Johnson and herself in the gym, with a comment along the lines of (I'm paraphrasing), "at least we can work out at the same time." At the time, it had made me wonder whether something was up with their partnership. (Her tone came across to me as light-hearted??? I hope everything has been amicable.)

Rohene Ward is choreographing Calalang/Johnson's SP.

p.s. Thanks to the mods for resurrecting this thread and copying my previous post (from another thread) into this one.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the heads up on Calalang/Johnson, @ice coverage.

IIRC, Rohene did the choreo for Liu/Johnson’s SP last year. Looking forward to the new pair and new program.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love Jessica Calalang and think this new partnership could pay off big time.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I had a crazy thought. Could Mervin go back to skating for Canada and pair with Luba? Would they be a good match?

Interesting idea...though I do wonder if he's retiring. But I await developments with keen interest. It would be awesome for him to compete for Canada without worrying about citizenship issues.

andromache

Record Breaker
Sad for Marissa and Mervin, but seriously, they'd never be Olympic-eligible, and they just couldn't make the elements work together. They stuck it out and put a lot of time into it, and it just wasn't happening.

So sad. They had potential in spades.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh no - I kept trying to not lose hope for Marissa and Mervin. I guess after 3 years together they're just not seeing happen what they had hoped for. Very sad. Wonder what their future plans are.

hanca

Record Breaker
No, she was known for not rotating her triples before Dylan.

Only in the last season with Maisuradze. Before that they were doing pretty well, they qualified to GPF in their first senior season. I think it was Pavlova ‘s treatment that messed up her head.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Only in the last season with Maisuradze. Before that they were doing pretty well, they qualified to GPF in their first senior season. I think it was Pavlova ‘s treatment that messed up her head.

Pavlova, now there is somebody who needs to retire. She is just...there are no words.:sad21: