Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season | Page 102 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season

GermaricanMix

On the Ice
LOL at all the discussion circling back to the costume talk again :laugh::laugh:

Meanwhile, I'm just "selfishly" thinking how da heck can I get a set of the ever-so-tempting stamp collection set :confused2:

In the past 24 hours I have been battling with myself "No you don't really need it!" "But this is such a nice set, I WANT!" "But you can't just get your hands on everything that you desire...." "Oh man, there is Yuzu's personal comments on each program! Now I really want T_T!"

...and the battle continues XDDD

I've been doing the same thing but with his DVD. "It's so expensive" "But think of the high quality skating programs" "You can't even play it, it's the wrong region code" "I could get a region free blu-ray player" "do they even make those?" "shut up, me, don't crush my dreams"

That video where he went back to the school is really sweet and kinda sad. I always feel awkward when more somber moments are filmed because it seems like something that should be private somehow but I'm glad for the video anyway. And I really want a video compilation of every time he gives the gold medal to someone because their reactions are always so cute

Sorrento

Record Breaker
What? :biggrin: no way. are you kidding? Did I chose the wrong smilie? I was just being my usual silly self. I'd laugh my unbedazzled, maskless booty off if anybody made a Yuzu Wonka video :biggrin: (I'm the only one who thinks that this chocolate commercial thing is just begging to be turned into something Wonka, aren't I... :laugh: oh well)
Aw, okay. :)
I think they (Lotte) have this concept they keep on using like it's sweet and happy and highly competitive. I wonder if Yuzu liked that bite of Ghana.
Will he ever make a funny program? For exhibition maybe?

firal

Record Breaker
I was really touched when the male teacher said that it doesn't even matter if it's a gold medal or not; to them, it's seeing how he had given his all and did his best and the fact that he is an athlete from Sendai that really rallied all of them. (That's from my limited Japanese...) I think this really meant a lot to Hanyu-kun.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
That was great even though I had no idea what was being said. You can really see how much he's matured in the last two years. A man now.:)

Meoima

Match Penalty
If that's live, then wasn't it just an hour ago? :eek:
Copy and paste from other forum:
Posted by
windywillow
Just Watched it. It was lovely. And the documentary too.
He popped one 3a but did another one right after. He skated carefully, I thought, so as not to fall in front of all Japan on a non-competitive show.
But it was lovely.
I don't think he is in peak condition yet.
He is aiming for October to be Competition-ready I think.
Anyway, it's lovely to see him.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
And here's a short clip of him getting nervous/embarrassed during the ghana event.

eta: Thanks, Meoima!

SuzyQ

Medalist
I saw his performance in Hachinohe tonight. He looked a bit tired, and he actually said his condition was not perfect in the interview afterwards. Anyway, it was so good to see his performance live :love:

At last, I finished my nitpicking.
I appreciate the original translater, as it takes me so much time to translate from the scratch. Such lengthy text just intimidates me, and I usually give up in the first place. :slink:
Also, please note this is just a try. :cool:

Original: 中日新聞
Chinese Translations: @Shigana_新旅程
(revised by SuzyQ)

The opening of new figure skating season is approaching. For the newly crowned Olympic champion Yuzuru Hanyu, who has also claimed various major titles as well, this will be the first season where he will become the target of all the other competitors. The question is, what does this rapidly developing nineteen-year-old who has sprinted all the way towards the title of World Champion look forward to and want to challenge now? He was interviewed at the rink in which he trains at in Toronto.

Q: After half a year passed since the Olympics, how do you feel now about the weight or pressure of being the gold medalist?
A: I’m feeling a bit, but not as much as expected. I’ve always thought that the pressure would be much heavier, but I’ve come to realize that it was only one competition that I won, which just happened to be the Olympic Games. But, when I’m not in good condition, or performed unsatisfactorily, I think my gold medal helps me strive further. I can keep reminding myself as, “You have an Olympic gold medal in your hands, why are you doing such lackluster performance?” I think that the gold medal has actually served as one of the motivators for me to strive.

The atmosphere surrounding me has changed, where I feel bewildered at times. Not long before, I was simply one figure skater, but after winning the gold medal, it’s as if I’ve been suddenly dragged into the world of adults. Although there is a gap between my feeling and the surrounding situation, whenever I skate, I am just a figure skater, and still nineteen years old. I only want to put all my might into figure skating, the sport I like. This thinking has not changed.

Q: As the Olympic champion, what are your goals for the new season?
A: I have a kind of ambiguous but ambitious goals, such as improving myself, or winning in the new season again. But, I don’t have any in particular that I want to do. I think the goal changes depending on the situation, so all I can do for now is to continue my fitness training as well as improving my skating skills.

As people appreciate my capturing triple crown (of figure skating) in the last season, I am gradually realizing its value. To me however, the ten years or so since I started skating and the four years leading up to Sochi, and my skating career from here will be totally different. Being an Olympic champion doesn’t mean that I will always win in the next season, so I need to pull up my sleeves afresh and strive for the win of each and every competition in the coming season.

Q: What do you think is the most intriguing thing about figure skating?
A: In order to succeed, you’ll need complete control over your mind and body at the same time. It’s not just during practice, but also during the four minutes and thirty seconds or two minutes and fifty seconds, you need to compose yourself and bring out your best in performing the program. That is the most difficult part of this sport. We can put it this way. It’s a sport with a difficulty of one-time performance such as sprint or shot-putting of track and field, and in addition to that, you need stamina, and also mental strength. It’s because of its complexity and difficulty that makes it so much interesting. You can have a big audience as well. Furthermore, the whole thing just depends on you. That’s another thing attracts me.

Q: Your quads are now placed in the second half of both your short program and your free skate, with there being a total of three quads in your free skate all together. The difficulty level of your planned elements is a lot higher than the previous season’s.
A: I’m thinking that I don’t want to stay at the level of the last year. Also, as the consistency of my quadruple toe-loop is quite high now, I have a slight feeling that I might be gradually stepping over my (physical?) limits. But, at the same time, I don’t want to set any limit myself, or I’m not intending to step over the limit. I’m just doing what I would like to do. It’s quite challenging, but I’ll try my best to catch up to the level of difficulty that my program offers.

Q: Does it mean you have more what you want to try as your level has been improved?
A: It feels like I now love figure skating more than ever before. It may be because I have got good results so far, but either way, I’m really enjoying skating now. Although there are lots of things that I don’t really like outside of skating, they are just minor things coming along with the surroundings. After all, as I’m a skater, I should think about improving myself. I just want to be more competitive. That’s all.

Q: Wouldn’t that bring about further challenge or hardship?
A: Yes, it would. What I have to think about in the days ahead is that I’ll be turning twenty this year. I’ll definitely have to endure hardship that I’ve never experienced before in my teenage years. I’m still trying to digest the fact that my body will change, my mental state will change. And how I should face it and develop from here is quite intriguing for me as well.

Q: What kind of twenties do you image yourself?
A: I think I’ll still be the same ambitious skater in my twenties as I am now. Even if I need to train my mental strength more, I may be the type of skater who keeps challenging physical goals, because it is my policy to accomplish such goals.

Q: It seems you have achieved good results steadily so far. Have you ever experienced any slump?
A: I have experienced the biggest slump during my novice years. Our rink was closed due to financial reasons, so I had to switch to another rink to train. My training time was reduced by half, and I could not jump at all.

I think it is normal that we experience slumps. I geared up my condition so high that I fell in a slump afterwards in the Olympics and the World Championships, where I believe all the competitors are about the same. I think it was Dai Tamesue (Japanese hurdler, bronze medalist of 2001 World Championships) who said that your condition peaks are like an elastic rubber. The lower it is pulled down, the higher it jumps up next, but if you apply too much force, there’s a chance that the elastic band will be snapped. Right now, I’m just like a broken elastic band. If I was able to restore to the normal condition after the Worlds in March, it wouldn’t have been broken, but since I kept participating in various ice shows and kept pulling it, I’m in very low condition at present with my elastic band broken. I think however, it is good to recognize that, and I’m now calculating hard to figure out to what level I should boost my current condition.

Q: You are thinking that Toronto is the best place for you at present to train as it allows you to fully concentrate in skating?
A: Hmm, I’ve already decided myself to continue on until PyeongChang — to train hard for another four years, then retire and become a pro. So, I simply want to do my best to achieve good results in the next four years to come.

Q: When you talk about the earthquake you experienced, you tend to choose your words very carefully. Are you feeling that you don’t want to talk about it voluntarily?
A: Because it’s a very sensitive topic, it may be true that I’m feeling reluctant to talk about. However, there are probably a lot of details that I should talk about. Now I believe that I am in a position that I can do something, it is not such a burden for me if it is useful for the disaster areas.

Q: Once during the off season, you’ve been to one of the areas badly hit by the tsunami. What is the meaning for you to continue the support after 3 years passed since the disaster?
A: Right now, there’s not much that I can do directly. In the end, I’m just an amateur athlete, and although the Olympics have passed, this coming season will be most important for me now. However, when I went to the disaster area hit by tsunami, the port and so on was doing quite well recovering, but when you take a closer look, there are still many places that have not changed. For example, only the foundation of buildings remains, and things such as washing machines being abandoned. It is important, when thinking about the future, to explain to everyone that there still exists this kind of situation in many places. That’s my thought.

Post Interview Remarks:
The newly crowned Olympic champion Yuzuru Hanyu still continues to live a simple life consisting of him travelling between his home and the rink in which he trains at. The day that we interviewed him, he was studying at home in the morning, and training on the ice in the afternoon. After that was his pilates class, where he trained until he was exhausted and sweating hard.
Although he has significantly increased the difficulty of his programs by planning a quad in the second half of both of his programs, we believe that he will draw courage and strength from his mindset of “I love skating”, and “I want to do my very best”. To be able to turn the burdening pressure of the Olympic gold medal into a medium of motivation, this kind of thinking process is unique to Yuzuru Hanyu only. As long as he has no problem with his physical condition, I’m quite sure we will be able to see his breathtaking performance one after another this coming season as well.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I saw his performance in Hachinohe tonight. He looked a bit tired, and he actually said his condition was not perfect in the interview afterwards. Anyway, it was so good to see his performance live :love:

At last, I finished my nitpicking.
I appreciate the original translater, as it takes me so much time to translate from the scratch. Such lengthy text just intimidates me, and I usually give up in the first place. :slink:
Also, please note this is just my try. :cool:
Thank you so much for not giving up on this translation- some things that he said here are very important so the accurate translation is crucial.
Could you tell more about the today performance? I had a feeling it was very emotional for him. Sometimes I feel sad he has to bring back those memories so often it must be hurting a lot. I admire him doing as much as he can for the disaster areas. And I wish he could let go of that pain and focus on the new achievements. He really needs to change his environment, this summer has been very exhausting for him. And he aims so high, he's unstopabble. I just wish he had more time to rest and meditate and focus on positive things.:)

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Practice for the 24hr show

Copy and paste from other forum:

And here's a short clip of him getting nervous/embarrassed during the ghana event.

eta: Thanks, Meoima!

Performance uploaded to youtube

Edit to add: Yuzu's full segment on dailymotion

Thanks to everyone for the links!:agree: It was an amazing perormance, very meaningful and touching. :love:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
When he popped the 3A and immediately did another one right after- that took more balls than if he'd delivered a completely flaw-free performance IMHO. :clap:

I've now spoken of both Javi's and Yuzu's balls :laugh:

GermaricanMix

On the Ice
Thanks to everyone for the links!:agree: It was an amazing perormance, very meaningful and touching. :love:

Yes, thank you for the links! Just watched the whole thing. Is it me or did that rink seem really cold? I don't remember really seeing skaters breath like that before and the ice was steaming too. I wonder if it made it difficult to breathe for him because he didn't do the scream he usually does. I'll never get tired of watching this program though, it's just so amazing.

Can someone translate what the elderly people were saying to him? He appeared really moved after.

Darjaille

Rinkside
Thanks everyone for posting updates and interviews ^___^

Could Yuzu do a repeat of i.e. the 3A in a competition as well? Like - ending up popping it and then decide to just right away try it again and go on as if nothing happened?