Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 108 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

lbc2138

On the Ice
I'll admit that his Notre Dame FP was not my favorite program but I did like the R&J 2 one even though it looks inferior in terms of artistry after seeing R&J 1. I think I would be fine with David Wilson doing his programs again, not that we would have any power over it, and I think Yuzu will breathe life into it as a great skater.

I wonder why Wilson's programs tend to look a little awkward on Yuzu as opposed to Yuna, where the programs he made fit quite well for her as a skater. Maybe it's because Yuzu is a very emotional and passionate skater while Wilson's programs tend to be tame and refined, something that would suit Yuna's style (she's pretty much has used nothing but his choreography since 2006ish) but maybe not Yuzu as of now.

Whatever the case, I have a feeling next season won't disappoint.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
So far, it doesn't seem like the fame and adulation has gone to Yuzu's head and I certainly hope it stays that way. It's probably best that he doesn't engage with social media, but I know that his friends like Javier and Misha Ge end up getting bombarded with questions about him on Twitter...:laugh: I remember when he went home after the Olympics, Yuzu said something about he didn't like to see his face everywhere on posters. It must all feel very surreal for him.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Thank you for the video!

At the beginning, the reporter on the right said that it was like he cast magic on them, and the reporter on the left said she cried! Some of the fan comments I heard were:

"Yuzuru-kun is my lover ♥. Just kidding." (from an old lady, haha)
"Isn't he cute~" (from another old lady!!)
"From the very beginning until the very end, he puts all his feelings into performing."
"His face is so cute... What is it about him? It's like art, he's kind of amazing... (is overcome with emotion, reporter scrambles to stop recording)
"It feels like his smile can reach you."
"When he was spinning, he put his heart into it."
"He's like a prince! He gives off a 'sparkling' kind of feeling!"
"Also, isn't his style great?"
"If he was my son, I'd always want to lock him up in my house together with me." (From a 50 year old woman, scary...)

Even the old ladies were saying he's cute. There was a parent and a child who were both fans, and a pair who came from Australia to see him! It's amazing that so many people of different ages can enjoy his skating.
I am sure if the kid and his parents have enough time to watch this, they would be so sock and scared. :eek: :unsure: omg the media hype...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Yuzuru is just about the most talented skater among current competitors. I agree with his self admitted shortcomings in spite of his formidable achievements and am glad and impressed with his self awareness and wisdom. I also agree ballet will help him greatly and specifically.

No doubt his future is very bright and we can expect greatness from him with such attitude. :thumbsup:

Panpie

On the Ice
Yuzuru is such a sweetheart. I am encouraged so much that he wants to improve. Honestly, I'm getting more and more of a crush on him. :love:

BlackPack

Medalist
Wow impressive interview. Very few skaters or people in general really know what their shortcomings are and have a healthy self-awareness.

The only thing I kind of worry for Yuz is that he's too critical and hard on himself which would actually backfire on him. It's hard to improve when you have an inner critic in you that won't let you enjoy your success and denigrate the things you did accomplish.

DonneeDarko

Rinkside
Thank you for the video!

At the beginning, the reporter on the right said that it was like he cast magic on them, and the reporter on the left said she cried! Some of the fan comments I heard were:

"Yuzuru-kun is my lover ♥. Just kidding." (from an old lady, haha)
"Isn't he cute~" (from another old lady!!)
"From the very beginning until the very end, he puts all his feelings into performing."
"His face is so cute... What is it about him? It's like art, he's kind of amazing... (is overcome with emotion, reporter scrambles to stop recording)
"It feels like his smile can reach you."
"When he was spinning, he put his heart into it."
"He's like a prince! He gives off a 'sparkling' kind of feeling!"
"Also, isn't his style great?"
"If he was my son, I'd always want to lock him up in my house together with me." (From a 50 year old woman, scary...)

Even the old ladies were saying he's cute. There was a parent and a child who were both fans, and a pair who came from Australia to see him! It's amazing that so many people of different ages can enjoy his skating.

I'm one of those old ladies! Just proves that appreciation for beauty is ageless! Truth is beauty, beauty truth.

Thank you and welcome to @WhateverHime!!

In the US, recaps from World will be aired on Sun on TV by NBC. I hope they show a lot more than just the American and Canadian skaters.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Wow impressive interview. Very few skaters or people in general really know what their shortcomings are and have a healthy self-awareness.

The only thing I kind of worry for Yuz is that he's too critical and hard on himself which would actually backfire on him. It's hard to improve when you have an inner critic in you that won't let you enjoy your success and denigrate the things you did accomplish.
I call him kiddo but sometimes I really wonder, is he really just 19? His attitude about skating has always been serious like this since the first time I saw him at Nice 2012. And he was just 17 at that time.

I hope he stay healthy, because I really want to see more of him. I mean, from the White Legend short program which is quite graceful and feminine, to a rock program like Parisians Walkway, such a gap. :eek: it's just 2 years but so much improvements. He get the versatility in him, doesn't he? I am excited at the thought we will be able to see many different sides of him in the future.

Meoima

Match Penalty
ok, that's not creepy scary at aaaaaall :laugh:
o.m.g.
and some of us aunties were worried that he's technically still a minor in Japan? :laugh: geez
He is still a minor, according to Japanese's rule. :biggrin: but I think even when he reaches 30, he still looks like a 19 kiddo. :laugh:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Aw, I made that Hall of fame video :) Thank you so much for posting it, Maria Victoria, I'm so happy you guys liked it.

I've been lurking here for months, but I've never posted before. I'm Ana and I'm from Bucharest, Romania. I'm 26 so I guess I'm pretty much a yuzuntie (or Yuzu auntie? :) ).

I always love reading what you guys write, it's touching to see how much Yuzu is loved.

Welcome Ana and to all new members/posters. Great job with the "Hall of Fame" video. I am pretty sure Yuzuru will end up in skating's HoF but please not until he has accomplished what he has set out to do.

Echotpe and SuzushinaYuriko, thank you for your time and effort in translating for us the Japanese video as to the Sapporo exhibition. I think it shows that in our media-dominated culture, athletes (specially one with Yuzuru's attributes) are indeed celebrities which raises certain concerns that I hope Yuzuru and his family have taken note of, "creepy scary" (thanks for the term Pamina) fans included.

DonneeDarko, I hope you enjoy the NBC recap of the Worlds and that you will share with us what the NBC commentators (Johnny &Tara or Scott &Sandra?) had to say about Yuzuru [and Tatsuki too ;)].

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I think Yuzu would benefit greatly from ballet training, so I hope he does pursue that. That can only help his posture and performance issues.

As others have said, his humility is refreshing for someone who won the GPF, the OGM and Worlds.

He has the perfect build for ballet.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker

Yes, I agree with you that Yuzuru can at times be too hard on himself, but I think, as the past season has shown, he uses that unflinching self-assessment as motivation to do even better, and also as his way to keep himself grounded. He does take pride and joy in his accomplishments. No one watching the Olympic medal ceremony in men's figure skating could mistake his happiness.

It's funny. but we were having a discussion on what Yuzuru should do to improve himself and then the interview came out and it showed that Yuzuru was already ahead of us. He is really wise beyond his years. :)

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just FYI, Yuzu-auntie: I've copied the posts from the thread over on The Edge for posterity. :)

DonneeDarko

Rinkside
DonneeDarko, I hope you enjoy the NBC recap of the Worlds and that you will share with us what the NBC commentators (Johnny &Tara or Scott &Sandra?) had to say about Yuzuru [and Tatsuki too ;)].

I'll be happy to report on the commentators. I remember Johnny announced Yuzuru's gala performance at Sochi saying, "Yuzuru is fabulous with a capital F!"

DonneeDarko

Rinkside
My favorite comment so far is Simon's (I think) after the LP at NHK 2012. He said, "He has the potential to be the greatest skater of all time."

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
My favorite comment so far is Simon's (I think) after the LP at NHK 2012. He said, "He has the potential to be the greatest skater of all time."

Oh me too! Those British Europsort commentators do not hold on to the usual British understatement when it comes to Yuzuru.