Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 232 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

makaihime

Final Flight
The layout is decided by skaters and coaches also have an input.

Skating skills is not only determined by deep edges (which is Patricks forte). They also look at your knee's, the flow, the speed and power, mastery of techniques, all which Yuzuru is extremely good at. Transitions; well no one can say Yuzuru doesn't have enough transitions as he is one of the skaters with the most in their program. PE, IN, CH are all extremely subjective. What you may not like, the judges might love. And if your program is much higher in difficulty, they will mostly likely reward you for that.

In fact, if we want to talk overscored PCS we need to throw in a few more names into the mix. This isn't the era of Chan anymore, where he was the sole benefiter. We're in the era where all the top skaters are "overscored" because they needed to even out the playing field. If they keep the current top skaters PCS down to a realistic level, when compared to the highly overscored Chan, they will be way behind him, when in actuality their skill level is NOT that far behind. Chan will look like a skating god compared to everyone else. I've said this before. They went too crazy with Chan, and now they have NO CHOICE BUT to keep the top few skaters PCS on the 90's level.

This isn't the same situation with Chan where he was winning with his PCS, currently the top few skaters are ALL ON EVEN PLAYING GROUNDS.

If you want to start questioning Hanyu's 91 PCS, start questioning Machida's 90 for a program with a popped jump and Fernandez 91 with 2 popped jumps. None of them are superior in SS and all 3 programs IMO were not great.

giulia95

Medalist
Correct me if I´m wrong but this was the first time Yuzuru worked with choreographer other than Nanami. Didn´t him?

not exactly, Nanami selected the Etude SP and the R&J music, then decided the layout , then Yuzu went to Russia to complete the choreo. This is what I remeber, correct me if I'm wrong. Yuzu/Romeo is a Nanami's idea.

It's interesting to notice that in one of the most difficult situation of his life Yuzu progressed the most and skated to an incredible masterpiece. Romeo on skate will be idenfied with Yuzuru Hanyu for a very long time, I presume. :)

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
R&J no.3?!! That's... indeed amazing :laugh:

It is a bit unlikely, or I hope not, as Romeo is 16 in the original play by Shakespeare (maybe 18 or so in musicals, films, etc.
Oh come on, he could use this song from Romeo & Juliette and wear costume like the one weared by the guys, with the hair and everything.

And just to give you an idea Wikipedia says there are 14 movie versions of Romeo & Juliet (14 soundtracks) and anime version (also with sountrack)

Plus all this versions in music and opera
Music
Roméo et Juliette (Berlioz), an 1839 work for orchestra by Hector Berlioz
Romeo and Juliet (Tchaikovsky), a fantasy-overture by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
"(Just Like) Romeo and Juliet", a 1964 hit single by blue-eyed soul/doo-wop group The Reflections
"Romeo & Juliet", a 1967 cover of the Reflections song, by Michael and the Messengers
"Romeo and Juliet" (Alec R. Costandinos song), a 1978 disco hit by Alec R. Costandinos and the Syncophonic Orchestra
"Romeo and Juliet" (Dire Straits song), a 1981 song by the British rock band Dire Straits
"Romeo and Juliet" (Blue System song), a 1992 hit song by the German synthpop band Blue System
"Romeo and Juliet", a song from the 1992 album Black Moon by Emerson, Lake, & Palmer
Romeo + Juliet (soundtrack), a soundtrack album to the 1996 film
"Romeo and Juliet" (Sylk-E. Fyne song), a 1998 song by American rapper, Sylk-E. Fyne

Operas and musicals
Romeo und Julie, a 1776 opera by Georg Benda
Giulietta e Romeo, a 1796 opera by Niccolò Antonio Zingarelli
Giulietta e Romeo (Vaccai), an 1825 opera by Nicola Vaccai
Roméo et Juliette, an 1867 opera by Charles Gounod
Romeo und Julia, a 1940 opera by Heinrich Sutermeister
Roméo et Juliette, de la Haine à l'Amour, a 2001 musical by Gérard Presgurvic
Giulietta e Romeo (musical), a 2007 musical by Riccardo Cocciante and Pasquale Panella

So he has plenty material to do a 3rd version :cool::laugh: . Have fun thinking about it :biggrin:

not exactly, Nanami selected the Etude SP and the R&J music, then decided the layout , then Yuzu went to Russia to complete the choreo. This is what I remeber, correct me if I'm wrong. Yuzu/Romeo is a Nanami's idea.

It's interesting to notice that in one of the most difficult situation of his life Yuzu progressed the most and skated to an incredible masterpiece. Romeo on skate will be idenfied with Yuzuru Hanyu for a very long time, I presume.

I will say yes Nanami did have the idea, but mostly of the choreography was made outside.

And I will think that Yuzuru has now two unforgetable characters he has play Romeo (1.0 and 2.0) and Parisian Walkways

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
I read somewhere that it was Orser Team's intention to give Yuzuru practice-wise programs because they thought Yuzuru was still young and not matured, and needed improving in many ways. And the Notre Dame was the one for that purpose, with so many challenging elements. Maybe it sacrificed artistry to some extent. And PW was the one to find his sex appeal :biggrin: Orser asked Buttle to stir up Yuzuru (Sorry, I don't know the original English expression as I read this in Japanese)

And, R&J2, I think, was the program to win over Pchan, with some ideas of Yuzuru himself. He said he used a calculator for deciding the elements :laugh:

I heard David Wilson is a choreographer who allows some sort of freedom by skaters in doing his program, not like Lori Nichol who does not like the skaters arrange her program.

I like R&J2. The latter half is so emotional, especially the semicircular Ina Bauer :love:, making me almost cry.

When I saw R&J1 as his EX at the Worlds, I felt something missing, not completely satisfied with it. It was of course beautiful with his improved skating, but it was not that.

What I realized was, R&J1 was the program for Yuzuru of 17 years old. Not yet matured, but it WAS the point attracted people with such unmatured emotion, as the British commentator noted.

Now he is 19, and still progressing. I'm sure he can find the way to improve further. Now his skating skill has been improved a lot, so I think the Orser and his team can give him programs with more artistry with room to breathe.

We can just see what would happen. In any case, he is still 19. He has enough time for try and error.

:thumbsup:. Yep, he is young, take it easy ;)

Klarnet

On the Ice
I will say yes Nanami did have the idea, but mostly of the choreography was made outside.

No, both programs were already made by Nanami by the time he came to Bobrin and Bestemyanova to polish them. And speaking of biggest progress in scores it is also due to increased difficulty of programs - first season he added 4T to his SP

giulia95

Medalist

And I will think that Yuzuru has now two unforgetable characters he has play Romeo (1.0 and 2.0) and Parisian Walkways

I'm totally fine if you don't like Nanami and what she did for Yuzu!:laugh:

SuzyQ

Medalist
No, both programs were already made by Nanami by the time he came to Bobrin and Bestemyanova to polish them. And speaking of biggest progress in scores it is also due to increased difficulty of programs - first season he added 4T to his SP

Yes. And he joined about 60 ice shows after the earthquake as he had lost his home rink, where he landed so many quad jumps, including in practices. He said it's his pride that there was no other skater who jumped quads more than he did in that season. He enjoyed quad bouts with Mura in the practice time of show, and succeeded many times, as well as 3A :agree:

Also, he experienced shows with world famous skaters. I am sure he eagerly acquired their techniques.
And he became acustomed to performing in limited condition such as the space, lighting etc., and in front of big audience.

I think this is the reason why he improved drastically in that season.

giulia95

Medalist
Also, he experienced shows with world famous skaters. I am sure he eagerly acquired their techniques.
And he became acustomed to performing in limited condition such as the space, lighting etc., and in front of big audience.

I think this is the reason why he improved drastically in that season.

May be Yuzu drastically improved also because his coach was able to teach him a texbook techique and to correct his learning process about 3A and 4T.

Unfortunately he's not been successful in 4S in the last two season, even if he has been training with a fantastic 4S jumper.:rolleye:

SuzyQ

Medalist
May be Yuzu drastically improved also because his coach was able to teach him a texbook techique and to correct his learning process about 3A and 4T.

Unfortunately he's not been successful in 4S in the last two season, even if he has been training with a fantastic 4S jumper.:rolleye:

He could not jump 4S before going to Canada. At least he landed 4S even in competitions several times by now. I think this is an improvement.

makaihime

Final Flight
He could not jump 4S before going to Canada. At least he landed 4S even in competitions several times by now. I think this is an improvement.

Actually he had the 4S in practice and was able to land perfectly rotated ones during shows in 2011 :)

giulia95

Medalist

The 17 yo Yuzu was even able to land 4S in ice shows ( the clip has been recently posted in this thread) ....

Give Yuzuru what belongs to Yuzuru AT LEAST!!:laugh:

the several time he landed it in competition was actually 1 time in A competition in Saitama out of 5 A competitions. He missed the 4 S at JN.

Klarnet

On the Ice

He definitely could jump 4S already in 2011, and I wouldn't call improvement the only landing on worlds and one or two times at B class Finlandia in the whole 2 years

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Easy, 4S mastery in competition should soon come. In practices he is landing now almost every attempt, and quality is amazing :) I think he got himself really angry after Olympics about falling on 4S, so I hope it is crucial moment on getting consistency on 4S

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I'm totally fine if you don't like Nanami and what she did for Yuzu!:laugh:

I do like Nanami, I think she is amazing as a coach and what he did for her students after the 3.11 is beyond what most coach will do, the woman deserves a medal!.

But Yuzuru said himself that before with Nanami he wasn´t challenged because he always kept the same layout in his programs. Don´t get me wrong, his younger day programs are good (I adore White Legend), but is since 2012 that you can see a diference in the difficulty and intensity of the programs changed a lot.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
may you post the source please?

we've just discussed how Yuzu's biggest improvment ever was in 2011-2012 season because of his layout...:scratch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn_aV...DD2A3F19DBDA96
FOI 2011 - Yuzu's 4S , he was 16 year old :points:

Oh dear, it was very long ago. I´m sure someone posted it in here around page 70 to 80. A little after he made the change to Borser. Will look for it, but I can´t made any promess.

But, I´m very good in remembering things that I have read.

Edit.

Just a change. His words translated were "the programs were easy to remember because I always have the same layout..." But I will have to find the article.

Klarnet

On the Ice
I do like Nanami, I think she is amazing as a coach and what he did for her students after the 3.11 is beyond what most coach will do, the woman deserves a medal!.

But Yuzuru said himself that before with Nanami he wasn´t challenged because he always kept the same layout in his programs. Don´t get me wrong, his younger day programs are good (I adore White Legend), but is since 2012 that you can see a diference in the difficulty and intensity of the programs changed a lot.

Things you're referring to like difficulty and layout come naturally as Yuzuru develops, and depend on his possibilities, if he could jump both quads with Nanami, she might have more room for imagination on layout:) And, bth, she already used to put jump combos in second half of the program, and speaking of same layout - last two seasons layouts of his programs don't really differ either