③2014 at Saitama, Japan

He had sore back...
and also at the SP, as you may know some crazy girls screamed "Yuzu
Aishiteru (I love you!!) just before the music starts and the moment he was
about to concentrate on the FP, and then he fell at the quad. Although
he said such screaming didn't have any effect on his performance (it was
his fault, he said..), I was there and could feel the atmosphere in the
rink was completely changed because of such bad behavior. It was
impossible for him to concentrate on his SP in such bad situation..
Then he was about 7 point behind Machida..
His face looked like Samurai at the FP. I could feel his strong decision
that he never fall any jumps and complete this R&J2 program perfectly.
And he did well and revenged a defeat!

http://youtu.be/wY8Mgou0-AI

I was so nervous before the FP at the a World this year, but some people said Yuzu always show his great performance at every World Championship, so I expect his revenge and he really made us cry. I was too moved to see his performance when he
did Ina Bauer.. I just want to say thank you to Yuzu!!

Thanks for sharing naranja3355. That was quite a list. One thing about being a Yuzuru fan: there is never a dull moment. The instances you cited show how that slight, seemingly frail figure houses an indomitable ("samurai" to use your description) spirit. He's both moving and inspiring.

Thanks annca! After she and Yuzuru high-fived and hugged each other, in the video you can see Kanako go to the side and decline to join the group photo, content to leave the spotlight to her childhood chum who had achieved his biggest dream.

I really hope to see Shae-Lynn's choreography with Yuzuru, she is not really a very famous choreographer but she can make very interesting choreography, like this one she create for Jeremy Abbot, interesting footwork: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jljuph8ISAQ

Thanks Meoima! That was a lovely program, and the commentators (Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic) described Jeremy's skating there as "free," which adjective has often been used as to Yuzuru's skating.

I think step sequence choreo is a strength of Shae-Lynn as also seen in this video. Can't wait to see what her choreo will look like for Yuzuru. :)

annca

On the Ice
That´s great, thank you for sharing :clap: :party:. Do you know were we can see the survey? Thanks again :D

so sorry but i dont know where we can see the survey yet.. i only saw the article on twitter but i'll post the survey here if i ever see it :)

Thanks annca! After she and Yuzuru high-fived and hugged each other, in the video you can see Kanako go to the side and decline to join the group photo, content to leave the spotlight to her childhood chum who had achieved his biggest dream.

I smiled at the part when she was about to leave, yuzu came to find where she was and they both high fived and hugged.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
^Thank you SuzyQ and also Annca.

So beside Yuzu and Mao, Dai is 15? I can see also that Dai was listed in 2010, and after that fell form the top 20 (guessing those are the one being listed), but Mao has remained between the top 10.

Also Yuzuru is top 3 with the ladies in their 50s? Am I right

Edit.

Thank you also Echotpe :D

echotpe

On the Ice
^Thank you SuzyQ and also Annca.

So beside Yuzu and Mao, Dai is 15? I can see also that Dai was listed in 2010, and after that fell form the top 20 (guessing those are the one being listed), but Mao has remained between the top 10.

Also Yuzuru is top 3 with the ladies in their 50s? Am I right

Not exactly, Dai was ranked 13 in 2012. And yes, Yuzu is 3rd place by favor of 50s ladies.

I read another message of survey is the popularity of sports in Japan. Within top 15, baseball sportsmen occupy 8 persons. And other seven persons are 3 in figure skating, 2 in soccer, 1 in tennis and 1 in golf.

In page 6, they also cited during and after Sochi Olympics, over 50% respondents are impressed with figure skating and will continue to pay attention in it. Medals really affect sport popularity in public.

By the way, Yuzu is the only one of three stars in upcoming season while Mao and Dai get rest from competitions. No doubt he will take most of business role in operation of JSF/JOC. Very challenging to him indeed!

mikaboo

Medalist
A picture of Yuzuru on a Toronto-Japanese community magazine in an article about Tadashi Aoshima, his massage therapist.
He accompanies Yuzuru to competitions in Canada and Japan also.
http://issuu.com/tomeko/docs/vol35_062014/32?e=3374392/8058980

If the link above doesn't work for you, try this one. It's on p32.
http://torja.ca/issuu/ 

He says that Hanyu has found a new way to manage his stress and mental state by conversing with a skiing athlete and is now practicing based on that new discovery.
skiing athlete = Kasai? (where he bombarded with him with questions while casually waiting for the emperor)

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
A picture of Yuzuru on a Toronto-Japanese community magazine in an article about Tadashi Aoshima, his massage therapist.
He accompanies Yuzuru to competitions in Canada and Japan also.
http://issuu.com/tomeko/docs/vol35_062014/32?e=3374392/8058980

If the link above doesn't work for you, try this one. It's on p32.
http://torja.ca/issuu/ 

He says that Hanyu has found a new way to manage his stress and mental state by conversing with a skiing athlete and is now practicing based on that new discovery.
skiing athlete = Kasai? (where he bombarded with him with questions while casually waiting for the emperor)

Thanks mikaboo! First link worked for me :) (but not the second), and I contented myself looking at the pictures of Mr. Aoshima with not just Yuzuru but also Nobunari and Takahiko. Is there anything in the accompanying Japanese article that you think we should know?

Noriaki Kasai's a ski jumper so close enough. Yuzuru didn't mention Peak Performance? ;)

naranja3355

Rinkside
Here is an interesting TV program named "Kataritei" by Mitz Mangrove who is a famous drag entertainer.
The topic was about Sochi, especially Yuzu on this day. It's so funny from 12:05. Mitz talked about Yuzu's expression appealing to judges at his SP which was really innocent. It's incredible to do such a cute and innocent expression like just a boy at such a big stage. He said Yuzu has never done this expression before. He said Yuzu is genius and can become an actress immediately!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1e3e6d_ミッツ-語り亭-前半_sport

mikaboo

Medalist
Thanks mikaboo! First link worked for me :) (but not the second), and I contented myself looking at the pictures of Mr. Aoshima with not just Yuzuru but also Nobunari and Takahiko. Is there anything in the accompanying Japanese article that you think we should know?

Noriaki Kasai's a ski jumper so close enough. Yuzuru didn't mention Peak Performance? ;)

No, Mr. Aoshima didn't mention anything about Peak Performance's influence on Yuzuru. But then again, maybe he "forgot" to mention it :biggrin:
I've translated some other things related to Yuzuru from the article below. I have a very short concentration span. :p

Mr. Aoshima has been a therapist for a lot of Japanese figure skaters for a long time (the first being Shin Amano) and Yuzuru has gone to see him since he first landed in Toronto 2 years ago. He does maintenance work on Yuzuru everyday as an exclusive massage therapist and accompanies him to competitions. He is also registered as a massage therapist for JSF and JOC.
He spends a lot of time with athletes so he is like a father figure to them in Toronto. He supports their mental state as well as physical health. According to Mr. Aoshima, taking the right nutrition, sleep and stress management are important factors to maintain the flow in the body. Team work is vital to achieve this ideal state so a psychiatrist may be necessary to manage stress and mental state, or conversing with athletes from other fields helps too. If you converse with athletes from your own sport only, you can probably understand and share the stress with each other, but this will not lead to any solution for progress. In Hanyu's case, he has found a new way to manage his stress and mental state by conversing with a skiing athlete and is currently doing practices based on the new discovery.
The article continues about the same logic applying for treatment for ordinary people also.

mikaboo

Medalist
Here is an interesting TV program named "Kataritei" by Mitz Mangrove who is a famous drag entertainer.
The topic was about Sochi, especially Yuzu on this day. It's so funny from 12:05. Mitz talked about Yuzu's expression appealing to judges at his SP which was really innocent. It's incredible to do such a cute and innocent expression like just a boy at such a big stage. He said Yuzu has never done this expression before. He said Yuzu is genius and can become an actress immediately!

I saw this program a while back and really enjoyed it. I also love how Miki Ando describes Yuzuru as a "high-level narcissist" ;)

PatricksGaze

On the Ice
I saw this program a while back and really enjoyed it. I also love how Miki Ando describes Yuzuru as a "high-level narcissist" ;)

Why did you like it? If I was called high-level narcissist I would be offended :laugh:
By the way, did she call Machida narcissist too? What did she exactly mean by it?

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
No, Mr. Aoshima didn't mention anything about Peak Performance's influence on Yuzuru. But then again, maybe he "forgot" to mention it :biggrin:
I've translated some other things related to Yuzuru from the article below. I have a very short concentration span. :p

Mr. Aoshima has been a therapist for a lot of Japanese figure skaters for a long time (the first being Shin Amano) and Yuzuru has gone to see him since he first landed in Toronto 2 years ago. He does maintenance work on Yuzuru everyday as an exclusive massage therapist and accompanies him to competitions. He is also registered as a massage therapist for JSF and JOC.
He spends a lot of time with athletes so he is like a father figure to them in Toronto. He supports their mental state as well as physical health. According to Mr. Aoshima, taking the right nutrition, sleep and stress management are important factors to maintain the flow in the body. Team work is vital to achieve this ideal state so a psychiatrist may be necessary to manage stress and mental state, or conversing with athletes from other fields helps too. If you converse with athletes from your own sport only, you can probably understand and share the stress with each other, but this will not lead to any solution for progress. In Hanyu's case, he has found a new way to manage his stress and mental state by conversing with a skiing athlete and is currently doing practices based on the new discovery.
The article continues about the same logic applying for treatment for ordinary people also.

Thanks mikaboo for letting us know another member of Yuzuru's team and for translating the salient (read Yuzuru-related :)) parts of the article. With his father not being with him in Toronto, I am glad to know that Yuzuru has a father figure there in Mr. Aoshima.

Thanks naranja3355 for the video link and both you and mikaboo for giving us the highlights. Another "amusing" highlight for me starts at 6:48, brilliantly accentuated by the use of the opening notes of PW as the accompanying music. Epic! ;)

mikaboo

Medalist
^No problem, Maria Victoria!

Why did you like it? If I was called high-level narcissist I would be offended :laugh:
By the way, did she call Machida narcissist too? What did she exactly mean by it?

Well, Mr. Sano (the older guy, ex-figure skater also) said that you have to be a narcissist to be a figure skater and Miki said he's a high-level narcissist in a good way. I don't think she said it in an offensive way. I can't go back to watch the video again right now, but I think Machida was mentioned because of his unique moves. And yes, being a figure skater, he has to be a narcissist also.

yude

Record Breaker
"Kataritei"(語り亭), very rough translation :)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1e3o7j_0301-語り亭①_sport

note:
Takeshi Honda was a commentator in Men's single in Sochi and JN.
Minoru Sano was a commentator in GPF and some other competitions in GPS.

around 2:35

Sano: If you skates with Plushenko, you would get nervous, but...
Miki: I think he was happy rather than that.
Mitz: I agree.
Honda: In the practices, Plushenko and Hanyu attracted so much attention. I had hard time finding Patrick Chan.

around 3:55

Mitz: In the team event, his unique "Doya-suberi"(Doya is a slang means something like "show-off", "suberi" means "to skate") was very appealing to me. There was big difference on the site with and without Plusheno, and Chan had experienced it before, so I wonder if he got nervous for that like "wow, Plushenko is here". But Hanyu had never experienced it before, and that might have made him stronger. He might have skated having fun as Miki said earlier, like "Yay, I'm in the rink with Plushenko!".
Sano: When he was in the elementary school, he had the same hair-style as Plushenko's.
Mitz: Mashroom.
Honda: I think he was confident for the competition because he was so good in the practices. He was better than anyone else...
Mitz: Without even a hint of shadow or clouds?
Honda: He was the best in the world (in the practices).

around 6:45

(Everyone laughs at Ms.Kobayashi's face in the picture)
Sano: In SP, he scored in three figures for the first time in the world. He scored over 100 at the Olympics, he has "IT".
Mitz: 101 points...this is the message from Hanyu-kun, "I will master SP!". He certainly did as he said.
announcer: How was the reaction of the people after his SP in Sochi? Was it like "we knew he would do it"?
Honda: It was more like "he could do thus far!" They knew he would do it but he did better than they had expected.
Mitz: They thought he would be nervous and make mistakes in somewhere but...
Honda: Yeah, they said he was great to have such a skate in that situation. Johnny Weir was sitting next to me, he gave him a standing ovation.
Mitz: Johnny did that? With showy clothes?
announcer: You saw him (in the video).
Mitz: His make-up technique is improving gradually.
announcer: Ando-san, how do you feel about SP of Hanyu-senshu?
Miki: I thought it was good to be young. He must have had pressure but I thought he had made it with his youthful momentum.
Mitz: I think he is very good at deciding when to show or put down his youth, I'm not sure he does it by controling or by nature.
Miki: I think he does it on purpose.
Mitz: That is one of the talents.
Miki: Yes.

around 11:50

Mitz: I've found a surprising moment.

Mitz: Here comes the steps...and then he appealed to the judges...THIS FACE!!
announcer: His face!?
Mitz: THIS!!(Yuzuru's angelic smile on the screen) This innocent smile!! He smiled to the judges, but he had never done it in this way in this season. He usually appealed to the judges in a cool(nihil) way.
announcer: He sure looks innocent...
Mitz: It was like he showed his final weapon in the biggest stage, his 19 years old boyish ...how can he smile like that in the competition?
annoucer: Can you do that?
Honda: I don't think I can.
Mitz: At the moment I saw this smile of his, I was convinced that he was a genius. He can be an actress(actor) soon if he wishes.
Miki: I think he is a narcist in a good way.
Mitz: In a good way.
Sano: Figure skaters have to be narcists, haven't they?
Miki: But there is the degree, isn't it? I think he is in the high level and it is evident in his expressions in a good way. I think it is the same for Machida-senshu.

around 14:35

Mitz: His true value is called into question from now on, whether he will be able to be an stronger athlete or...
Midori: How will he do with the title of Gold medalist?
Mitz: My words may be misleading, but I feel that the title "Gold medalist" came first to him and that it may be hard for him to break(surpass) it.
Midori: I and Miki won the Worlds. I was not changed by taking the gold medal but people around me changed a lot and looked at me in different ways. So I couldn't help but feel very often that I had to change.
Miki: If he had skated perfectly in FS and took the gold medal in Sochi, he must have lost the motivation now. But he made a mistake on Flip which he usually doesn't fall and he may regret about 4S also...I think he will be fine.
Mitz: He's going to turn on the switch again and burn more...
Sano: When I first saw Hanyu after his taking the gold medal, what do you think he said to me? When our eyes met, he said, "Domo sumimasen!!"(I'm sorry).
announcer: Did he apologize?
Sano: Yes, he said, "I'm sorry". It seemed to me that he really had something regrettable about his FS.
Mitz: What do you think is necessary for him to evolve from now on?
Honda: Considering his jumping ability, he must be capable of having one or two more kinds of quad.
Mitz: I heared that he is practicing 4A.
Honda: Yes, I heared it, too.
Miki: He has technique, so he needs something manly to duplicate Men's figure skating...
Mitz: Something like masculine?
Miki: Yeah, the difference between Plushenko and him is masculin, powerful sexual attractiveness which he doesn't have yet. He is still a teenager who is young, adorable, cheerful...but once he gets the sex appeal in addition to his skating technique...!
Mitz: He is going to be untouchable.