Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 264 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

rmla2

Spectator
I think people blame David Wilson too much .. for me it's Yuzuru that just can't perform it to the full potential because of the layout; if he could the program would be a lot better and people would notice that's it's not just Wilson to blame .. And the presentation for the LP at GPF was far superior than the one from Finlandia, he was running out of gas at the choreografic sequence and steps there. I was talking about presentation not if he landed his 4S or not. I'm aware of some of the stuff you've said so no need to reply. Yuzuru can't by now combine artistic with technical in his LP, that's what I had to say, maybe it will change with Shae Lynn's choreo, maybe it will change in the upcoming years, who knows. I hope so. Anyways, that's all, peace. :)

Meoima

Match Penalty
I'm gonna google that and get back to you :biggrin: I always thought they also had some kind of hormone thing going on
(sorry, don't hate me, I had to... remember, my brain's broken and all that)
Lol, sorry, I mean the men don't develop hip and breasts and... :eek:: like women. And they don't suddenly gain weight. Have you seen Adeline before her puberty and after? :unsure:
But surely they get taller, most Western boys get taller than the Asian boys in their teen years. I am not surprised if Kovtun get more 3-5 cm.
with Yuzuru, I think his body has stopped growing already.

phaeljones

On the Ice
Frankly, I don't know if Yuzuru can master more quads and improve his artistry at the same time. I hope he can perform with all his strength, without any regret in the end.

. . . Medals are important, but the state of your mind worths much more. . . .

. . . Actually it's his choice, he knows this very well, who are we to judge?

My best wish for him is: stays healthy, performs without any regret.

So well stated (the whole entry), Meoima. One of the reasons why I love watching Yuzuru skate is that he skates all out, forever pushing to be better, and forever doing the kind of skating that he feels he should skate. (That and it is so beautiful to watch.) He does not compromise and he gives himself fully and honestly in every skate he does. He is never safely mediocre. He is intensely, wisely and powerfully pushing his abilities and his artistry to be better, all the while achieving what few if any other skaters can or ever will achieve. He is a skater who I bet will not have any regret because he has shown himself to not be the type of person to ever waste a moment when he is on the ice. My best wish for him is as yours: that he stay healthy and that he performs without regret.

We will see how things develop over next years . . . but he just seems to be person that can't accept situation to play safe game. He would regard that as his own loss ;)

:thumbsup: Yes, could not be said better and we are the richer for it. His skating is a reflection of the strength of his strong character.

lbc2138

On the Ice
Hehe haven't followed the thread in a week and least to say it's always overwhelming...

I don't like trying to argue over the Internet since people seem very steadfast in their opinions. I know it's ok to criticize our favorite skaters because not recognizing their flaws is a failure on our part as fans.

But I do have a bone to pick when arguments are being thoroughly dissected but ignored by the original poster. If you're not going to read criticisms on your opinion of Yuzuru, it is also a personal failure as a fan and as someone who partakes in any conversation.

To mellow out/change subject a little, I am a HUGE fan of the wayfarer/hipster sort of glasses and wondered how they would look on Yuzuru.

Needless to say, I would melt into the floor if I saw him in person with the glasses that he had on at TOI. They look great on him and I'm about to get me a second pair ;)

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think people blame David Wilson too much .. for me it's Yuzuru that just can't perform it to the full potential because of the layout; if he could the program would be a lot better and people would notice that's it's not just Wilson to blame .. And the presentation for the LP at GPF was far superior than the one from Finlandia, he was running out of gas at the choreografic sequence and steps there. I was talking about presentation not if he landed his 4S or not. I'm aware of some of the stuff you've said so no need to reply. Yuzuru can't by now combine artistic with technical in his LP, that's what I had to say, maybe it will change with Shae Lynn's choreo, maybe it will change in the upcoming years, who knows. I hope so. Anyways, that's all, peace. :)
It's true that the layout tired him out, and it tires all the skaters out there.

But I have to say objectively the choreography didn't look really pleasing to the eyes, either. If you think he did his best at GPF, then cut out the fall at 4S and tell me do you think that choreography is inspiring? He already did his best there but all people have to admit that program was not designed to be artistically challenged as his past programs.

He was so exhausted in the gala at Saitama, but his ex looked much much better than the competitive program, despite being much much more tired. That's how more suitable choreography work with him. That's why people have been blaming David Wilson. David Wilson is a good choreographer, but his style doesn't fit Yuzuru, it's not that complicated.

At the same age other young skaters also have 2 quads in their programs, see Kovtun, Gachinski. They chose the layout, which means they can do it and they have the ability to do it, but in competition they can't. It's the nerves that get them, not their body.

I get your point, so chill out.:) It's not like I think Yuzuru has the most artistry out there, he has many rooms to improve but that is a must for all young skaters.

The quads competition among all top skaters will never go down, even for PChan who always get monstrous PCS. He had 2 quads, one in combination for LP. So there would be no way all these youngsters back down in this race. This is sad but since their career is just as short, they have to chose now or never.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
@rmla2
To some degree, I understand what you're saying. When I see someone like Yuzu who can do such a beautiful quad toe fall continuously on that stupid quad salchow, I can't help but want him to take that blasted jump out. I don't exactly blame him so much as the current scoring system though. A choreographed fall that's fully rotated lands him more points than doing two quad toes. The rules are, frankly, broken. (The men's free in Sochi was a nightmare, and symbolic of everything that's wrong with the system).

Yuzu lives in an era where trying crazy things is virtually risk-free. Tripling a quad is more costly than simply falling on it. I don't think his presentation skills are poor compared to his peers, but the falls do cut into the performances. However: 1. The men's field has always been a splatfest. 2. It's become even more of a splatfest in recent years because the rules reward rotating and falling. Compared to the men competing today, Yuzu isn't any worse.

If the ISU changed the rules to punish falls more and reward clean performances, you'll see more of them from Yuzu and other athletes. At the end of the day, they're calculating athletes. They want to win, even if they have to rotate and fall to do it. While Yuzu winning Olympic gold with two falls isn't... ideal... he at least has no controversy attached to his win. Whereas, to take a recent example, Adelina Sotnikova skated lights out and still there's a big uproar about her gold.

In short: I also want Yuzu to fall less and deliver more clean performances (so glad to see that LP in Saitama). However, blame the system, not the kid.

Other notes:
- I don't think Yuzu called himself Plushenko's heir. In fact, Plushy is the one who is constantly saying, "Overcome me." (And he most definitely does not need to keep quad-ing at 31 just to be a worthy heir.)
- Yuzu will probably peak before Pyeongchang, at 21-ish. However, that doesn't mean he can't win again at Pyeongchang, if he's still better than the rest of the field.

--------
Thank you, Lady_bee, for the report! Hopefully we'll see the performances aired. Ack about the fall in the footwork, but he must be exhausted from all the shows and numbers. Love the Biellmann spin in the news clip. And his donut position looks perfect in the pics--much more round than the one from the last show.

Lol, Plushy and Mushy. I'm going to call them that now! (A while back, I made a joke in Plushy's Fan Fest that if Plushy brings the mullet back, Yuzu's going to run off to the barber to get the mushroom cut. Lo and behold, Plushy didn't even need to bring the mullet back for this to happen!).

Yuzu--well, Mushy--beside his idols Johnny and Plushy! So cute!

Side-by-side triples: Notice how Plushy and Mushy have the exact same landing position--arms out, free leg stretched beautifully back.

skatefan22

Medalist
Hi, I'm home! Just came back from TOI.
I don't think he was wearing something special.
He was wearing the feather for White Legend as always,
and Japanese-taste-T for Change.

The show was GREAT:points:

Oh, thanks, lady_bee, for telling me about it. It's ok, I will just have to wait a little while more to see his new costume. :popcorn:

winterbell

Rinkside
I will second Sandpiper's post. I think she pointed out the key here. It is the scoring system that pushes the top athletes away from a clean performance if they really want to win.
About choreography, the weekly-period topic in this thread, I think we seriously should move on and look more at the next season.

Another thing is, from my personal point of view, I think it is kind of unwise to take thoughts like "He should do..." "I want him to do ..." too seriously. I am not talking about anyone or any posts here in details. Just a overall feeling. Sometimes as outsiders, as fans, we may feel that we see things he may not see. But mostly, most of the time, it is us who don't see what he sees. We are not in his shoes. And he is such a wise and smart young man who is able to see himself clearly, and he takes actions quick and works hard. The only thing we may need to worry is that he might work too hard and get injured. But, gosh, he knows that too. So he is a worry-free type. I just feel people here sometimes worried too much and may result in fights for things they don't really have anything to do with. I sometimes did that too. I somehow guess that is a nature need for being a fan and the reason we come to a forum not just exploring Tumbler.

Anyway, there is something I want to share. In Japanese, there is a phrase that actor/actress/singers/athletes would often say to their fans: 温かく見守ってください. Literally translated as: Please look over me gently with kind eyes and warm hearts. They might not behave in the way or head in the direction that you, the fans, have expected them to be. But they would like to have your warm support no matter what. :biggrin:

PS: I really want to urge FUJI television (Sendai Housou is their member) to release another set of BD or DVD for TOI. I want everything no cut. Tonight's show was so wonderful that I would hate if I can only read report and never have the chance to see it with my own eyes. :bang: If someone knows there might be a petition or something similar for releasing the whole show, please share here and count me in. I definitely would fight for that! Providing they have changed the content of 覚醒の時 per fans' request, there is chance they might release another one. :rock:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Okay just forget all the weekly talk about Yuzuru's choreography and his jumps. Let smile because it's off-seasons and all the exciting ice shows that most of us couldn't see, here is Plushy and Mushy in the latest photo:
http://instagram.com/p/pMnVSQGywY/

Esopian

Final Flight
Wow, every time I re-visit this thread the pages just keep increasing! :biggrin:

Overall, thanks for all the updates on today's Together on Ice show! I'm really happy Yuzu is having fun skating with his most respected skaters and it's nice to see Plushenko and him interact warmly. Now with all the photo posts on instagram, Yuzu is practically all over the internet! He doesn't need social media because other people post it for him! :agree:

Can't wait until proper footage comes out! (and now he has 2 more shows to go for tomorrow!)

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Just to make a funny coment, all the guys (minus Tomas Verner) in Yuzuru´s show have their country team playing in the FIFA WORLD CUP ;)
- Evgeni Plushenko---Rusia
- Yuzuru Hanyu, Takeshi Honda and Yamato Tamura--- Japan
- Javier Fernandez--- Spain (Poor guy, his team just lost 5 to 1 )
- Johnny Weir--- USA

And now that I made my connection I can post this old pictures
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab139/zakkan/2930.jpg
http://37.media.tumblr.com/d9bbd7a52410415939fe0773da044652/tumblr_n12ewgvdS01t8256ko1_500.jpg

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Just to make a funny coment, all the guys (minus Tomas Verner) in Yuzuru´s show have their country team playing in the FIFA WORLD CUP ;)
- Evgeni Plushenko---Rusia
- Yuzuru Hanyu, Takeshi Honda and Yamato Tamura--- Japan
- Javier Fernandez--- Spain (Poor guy, his team just lost 5 to 1 )
- Johnny Weir--- USA

And now that I made my connection I can post this old pictures
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab139/zakkan/2930.jpg
http://37.media.tumblr.com/d9bbd7a52410415939fe0773da044652/tumblr_n12ewgvdS01t8256ko1_500.jpg

I know Plushy loves football, but I'm sure Johnny doesn't care about it. Well, I take that back, he tweeted something about enjoying the short shorts and hairstyles. :laugh:

Their jumps look pretty amazing considering how little rehearsal time they seemed to have. :eek:

SuzyQ

Medalist
So well stated (the whole entry), Meoima. One of the reasons why I love watching Yuzuru skate is that he skates all out, forever pushing to be better, and forever doing the kind of skating that he feels he should skate. (That and it is so beautiful to watch.) He does not compromise and he gives himself fully and honestly in every skate he does. He is never safely mediocre. He is intensely, wisely and powerfully pushing his abilities and his artistry to be better, all the while achieving what few if any other skaters can or ever will achieve. He is a skater who I bet will not have any regret because he has shown himself to not be the type of person to ever waste a moment when he is on the ice. My best wish for him is as yours: that he stay healthy and that he performs without regret.

"Originally Posted by HanDomi View Post
We will see how things develop over next years . . . but he just seems to be person that can't accept situation to play safe game. He would regard that as his own loss"

:thumbsup: Yes, could not be said better and we are the richer for it. His skating is a reflection of the strength of his strong character.

:agree:

I have seen Yuzuru's performance since he was in his novice category. Yes, he fell a lot. But, it did not mean he was not improving, just the opposite. His programs are getting more and more difficult and demanding, but as all of you here know, he can now handle it to the end. Some faults? So what?

I'm sorry to say this, but the statement of rmla2 has contradictions. While you blame Yuzuru's falls, you say PW in SA 2012 was not perfect. Then, why could he get the world record of that time? Yuzuru did not need 2 years to make PW perfect, but he chose to keep using the same program for a strategic reason, even with further improvement. Also, you mentioned about the presentation at the end of your statement, but I believe "presentation" should apply to the whole program (sometimes the number of falls or faults does not decide). In any case, is there really "a perfect presentation"? It is rather subjective in a meaning.

Yuzuru is always challenging. As Nobunari stated, he is serious all the time. He does not like to loose. But whom he want to win over most is himself. After all, who ever can stop him challenging? :laugh:
Same as others, my only concern is his injury. In that meaning, I want him to control his programs.

Honestly, I love his falls as well :eek:: You may know that by now by my posts :p

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
i dont think so??... his eyes usually does that lol.. i think it has to do with the color of the video because you can see during parts of the show that he doesnt have it.

I wish my eyes could do that, would save a lot in eyeliner :p