Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

ser22

On the Ice
Breathtaking, beautiful, very talented figure skater . He will be the next big skater.

zydeco88

On the Ice
Thank you yude for helping me out with the translation of some confusing phrases.:)

Web Canon Interview – Yuzuru Hanyu (November 25, 2012, Post-NHK Trophy, Miyagi)

Source: http://web.canon.jp/event/skating/interview/int_hanyu1.html

It has been a breakthrough season for Yuzuru Hanyu, who not only improved his own world record in the short program at NHK Trophy but also won the event for the first time. We [approached him to] ask about his life at his new training base in Canada, his thoughts on Sochi Olympics and more.

The Change in Mental Outlook following the Short Program
-Congratulations on your win at NHK Trophy. Having set the world record score for the short program at Skate America in October, you improved it again at this event. How do you feel?
It’s really great to have been able to show my progress at this competition here in my home town, [Sendai,] Miyagi. I’m really happy to have delivered a good performance in the short program, like how I did it in Skate America and proven that it was not a fluke. I somehow managed to put two quads together in the free as well, so it’s a step forward.

-At Skate America, you missed your free skate jumps one after another and finished second overall. What is the reason you were you able to put them together this time?
At the time of Skate America, I was still very much worried about my free program and everything was incredibly demanding. Even though I was successful with a partial run-through during practice, I was not able to produce a clean performance once I ran through the entire program. I’ve practiced a lot after Skate America, I know it’s still not perfect, but it helped to ease me up a bit.

-Having produced a world record score, how did you control yourself mentally?
At Skate America, I didn’t know how to deal with the world record score, so I ended up over-suppressing my emotions, thinking “I must not get excited, there’s still tomorrow, so keep calm”. As the result, prior to the free-skate 6-min warm-up, the cap over my bottled-up emotions suddenly popped open, my mind blanked out and I wound up not knowing what to do. I went into the competition in that kind of state and came out in tatters. So, this time, I just went ahead and reveled in it. I even pumped up my fist.

-So you reveled in it temporarily at first, in order to forget about the short program.
Yes, I accepted everything and sought to properly switch gears to the free. Last time, I suppressed the feeling of happiness while I was still clinging to it and it came weighing me down. My way of going about it this time was a success. I stayed calm and made it through the free. Landing the opening quad was also huge for me. I think I was able to keep it together despite not being in an entirely good shape.

On Including Two Types of Quads in the Free
-In the free, you successfully landed the quad toe but stepped out of the quad salchow. Is it fairly difficult to execute two types of quads?
Doing quad sal is really difficult. There’s still an extremely huge gap of quality [between my quad sal and quad toe]. But if I don’t challenge it now, when will I? So, that’s why I’m challenging two types of quads. Quad sal is not something that I can easily do, so it’s good enough that I was able to land on my feet this time. As things stand now, I’ve grasped the image of the whole trajectory right from the approach until the timing of the jump for quad toe; it’s at the stage where it’s already become part of my routine. But quad sal is a different case. Even though I mean to stick to the same image, Brian tells me that every time, I jump with a different form and at a different timing. I think that if I can get a more consistent visualization, the success rate will gradually improve.

-Mr. Hanyu, you’re the type who jumps by visualizing them, aren’t you? Do you film and watch videos of [quad] salchows?
Yes, directly before a take-off, the image of the trajectory for a successful jump instantly springs up in my head. I hitch-ride on that image and jump. That’s why orally guiding me [through the jumps] is no good. Visual aids are good. By repeatedly watching videos, I etch the image in my memory. But the only videos that I have of my successful quad sal attempts are from ice show rehearsals. Now, I’m using Javier as a reference.

From Jump-focused Training to Strengthening the Basics
-You’re quite confident in your jumping ability, aren’t you?
The origin of my jumps is Axel. In the past, I used to over-rotate single Axels, and even turned them into double Axels when I was in good shape. Axel, unlike other jumps, has a forward take-off, so I think it’s cool to be able to do the jump. Now that I’m able to steadily bring off triple Axels, my scores are improving and they (Axels) are becoming my underlying support.

-Where do you think you currently belong to on the international scene?
Now, I’m more of a technical skater, aren’t I? It was because of the jumps that I was able to acquire the bronze medal at World Championships this year. It’s also thanks to my technical score that my short became a world record program this season. But I’ve been bringing in better program components scores than I originally expected this season, so I think this goes on to show that the programs are really good and the flow out of my jumps has gotten better.

-But it appears to me that you’ve suddenly amassed other attractive points than jumps. Is moving your training base to Canada during the off-season a huge factor?
Finishing third at Worlds really made me think that I have to improve my skating, to be more refined, so I made the resolve to move to Canada. Now, I’ve only been doing basic skating practices. Up until last season, my skating was still junior-ish, I skated while relying on my youth and sheer drive. But in order to compete with the world’s top skaters, I feel that it’s necessary for me to skate maturely.

-So, going by Mr. Orser’s training philosophy, you’re starting over from the basics.
I still haven’t been able to follow it all through. But unlike before, I’ve come to think that I want to practice skating every day of my own accord. The feeling of pushing against the ice and the sensation that I get from doing even simple things like turns and strokes is really pleasant. There were also instants when I made markedly broader strides. I’ve been able to do jumps with ease due to these basic skills as well. Besides, by properly maintaining my body's center of gravity, it leads to the stability of the approach runs and thus, the stability of my jumps. That, to me, is of a huge merit. So, I want to keep practicing and come to grips with it.

-You didn’t have much time to practice your basics [back when you’re in Sendai]?
I think I lacked [basics training] back then. I used to practice jumps from beginning to end so that’s why I made noticeable improvement with jumps and arrived to where I am now in rapid strides. But now at this stage, in order to expand the upper threshold [of my ability], I’m forging my basics all over again. Brian tells me “Strengthen your foundation, your foundation” every day. But to me, I’m still at the ‘moisturizing toner’ stage. There’s the ‘toner’ stage, then the ‘cream emulsion’ stage before I can finally arrive at the ‘foundation’.

-It’s as if you’re still far behind the ‘basics’ stage.
Yes. Speaking of volcano, for example, it has a core which accumulates magma. Precisely because the core exists, magma can be expelled. Up until now, I’ve been glossing over my performances. I was hit with the sudden realization this year. After having personally gone through a wobbly performance in the Free at Skate America, if I hadn’t realized that, I’d be a total hopeless case.

-I suppose, it was due to the stamina issue that you failed in the free?
I came out in tatters at both Skate America and NHK Trophy because of stamina, mental, and concentration issues, I didn’t have problems with the technical side of things. It’s really exhausting to include two quadruple jumps. Putting five jumping passes together in the second half is also a hard task. Considering that I’m still young, what am I gonna do? But I just have to practice a lot until I become used to it. Even though I feel that I’ve done a lot of practice, looking at the results, it’s still not enough.

Exploring New Realms of Performance with New Choreographers
-You’re working hard on practicing your basics, but I see that you’ve considerably polished up your expression for each program. Using a blues number for your short program brings you into a new territory, doesn’t it?
Jeffrey Buttle has been helping me in bringing out my new charm. I’ve been skating it in and out and made it my own, so now it’s about 80% completed. This program [introduces me to] a new style, doesn’t it? Even if it’s only a little, I’ll be happy if I can give off a mature kind of aura from within myself.

-Your free skate is choreographed by David Wilson. This program might look interesting once it’s completed, don’t you think?
At NHK Trophy, it still stood at 40% completion. But to have reached the 40% mark at this point is good enough I think. At Skate America back in October, it was at about 10% mark and I was [struggling,] trying to put the performance together. I couldn’t portray the worldview* [of Notre Dame de Paris].
(*that he couldn’t portray the essence of the program, his own perspective on the program)

-It’s an incredibly difficult program packed with transitions in between the jumps, isn’t it?
After Skate America, as expected, we reduced the transitions to put me a bit more at ease and because of that, I have finally begun to be able to put out a performance true to David style, well, just a small part of it. But this program uses a modern ballet kind of dancing, so if I don’t broaden my range of expression, I feel that I won’t be able to express it to the fullest. Meryl Davis and Charlie White are also skating to ‘Notre Dame de Paris’ and whenever I watch their performance, it makes me wonder why I’m skating to the same song as theirs. It’s just incredibly amazing. I also want to portray that kind of worldview. But since it’s their program, I can only use it as reference. It’s really tough.

-How does training with Mr. Orser feel like?
Brian fixes up my schedule, so it’s easy to work with him. He’ll say something like “We’ll be doing a run-through of the free and parts of the short program tomorrow”. Now, I’m told to skate half of the short program directly after a full run-through of the free during practices. It’s exhausting and it’s a training method I had been avoiding. But since I’ve been doing run-throughs, it has obviously built up my stamina for the short and I’ve also begun to be doing considerably well with my free program. I can’t fix up a training plan myself, so Orser also sets up a plan for when I practice independently.

As an Athlete, As an Artist
-This year, you’ve been basking in media attention, so the opportunity for photoshoot has also increased, hasn’t it?
I like to get photographed. I went into a studio for a magazine front cover photoshoot and it was interesting. It’s embarrassing to strike various poses but at the same time, it’s fun.

-You already have an air of a top skater *laughs*. Your goal is to win an Olympic Gold Medal, isn’t it?
It was, until last year. But I changed my mind as I was being supported by various people after the Great East Japan Earthquake. Winning an Olympic Gold Medal has been my dream since I was a child, but that is a strictly concrete objective. So, winning an Olympic Gold Medal will mark a new beginning, the beginning which opens up various [possibilities] like [working] as a pro skater to convey figure skating’s appeal, [participating in] support activities (for earthquake recovery efforts, etc) and more. I have to repay their kindness.

-So that means rather than the desire to win, you’ve come to feel stronger about repaying their kindness?
Of course as an athlete, I want to win. It’s just that I’ve started to think of concealing [the intent to] show how far my competitive spirit can go, more so than before. But I’m able to think in this way because I’m talking about it after competition. As you would expect, my desire to win is stronger before competition. A figure skater is not only an artist but also an athlete. I feel that we must not abandon either soul.

giulia95

Medalist
I feel that we must not abandon either soul.

Thank you so much for translation!!:)

IMO “True Love”and “Story” EX both represent the natural evolution of the 2011-2012 season, enhancing Yuzu's inherent and peculiar strenght and attitude without changing him forcedly.

they're like a new golden ring added to his magic chain of skating programs...

So glad he has just   fixed his spins in less than three months, they're truly mesmerizing! :popcorn:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sorry, I am not conversant in Hanyu news, so don't know if the following little detail already is widely known.

It's from Johnny Weir's July 15 blog (which I just now was reading for the first time):
Fresh news that I can impart is that I was asked by Yuzuru Hanyu to design his Olympic costume and I couldn’t be more honored. I am already sketching and coming up with ideas to make him stand out more than he already does and I can’t wait to actually see my design prospering in major competition!

yude

Record Breaker
Sorry, I am not conversant in Hanyu news, so don't know if the following little detail already is widely known.

It's from Johnny Weir's July 15 blog (which I just now was reading for the first time):
Fresh news that I can impart is that I was asked by Yuzuru Hanyu to design his Olympic costume and I couldn’t be more honored. I am already sketching and coming up with ideas to make him stand out more than he already does and I can’t wait to actually see my design prospering in major competition!

Thank you, golden411 :) And I have just read his tweet now!

https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/status/360859104480215040

Just finished a design marathon for Yuzuru Hanyu and Elena Glebova. They WILL be best dressed for their competitions!

Kalina

On the Ice
I thought Hanyu was not changing his short?

Yuzuru just said (actually, rumors said) that his coaches had considered it as an option, and that personally he wanted to skate to a new program. But the general feeling, at least in my opinion, was that at that time (between DOI and FaOI) they didn't have much time to discuss the matter. Since Yuzuru went back to Canada on July 10th, he must have gotten his short choreographed between that time and the beginning of The Ice.

yude

Record Breaker
http://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/othersports/2013/07/09/18_1/index.php

Just before the season of Sochi Olympics. Yuzuru Hanyu-18 years old goes into "serious mode".

page 1

Yuzuru Hanyu, announced the position contract with ANA (All Nippon Airways) on July 1, is adjusting the competition environment for the Sochi Olympics with appearance in the ice shows in Japan before entering a full-scale season.

In last year, he showed new short program (SP) in the ice show before new season started and decided performance constitution early, but does not still harden it this year.

There will be the aim to exercise slowly and carefully for the coming season based on a experience of the last season when he had time to suffer from injuries. Actually, he hurt his knee just before the world championship (in Canada) of this March and ended up with an unwilling result.

"Free program of this season is romantic, passionate for some parts. It is almost completed but not for a stage shown yet. SP is still running into difficulties and there is some uneasiness, but I have a strong feeling that I want to show a new thing, not same as the last season. There is no change in the layout, I put one jump in the first half and two in the latter half, so I'm not very worried about it."

In the ice show "Dream on ice" started on June 28 in Shin-Yokohama, Hanyu performed SP of the last season as the closer of the show. "No quad, fell on the lutz, but I had fun being the closer of "Dream on ice" for the first time.", he showed a smile.

page 2

And on the 30th (the last day), the lutz was slightly disturbed only and he pumped his fist after neat triple axel, both mental and physical condition has been gradually growing for the new season.

"For this season, there are two states of mind. There is oneself who is tense while being great and being excited by aiming at the stage called the Olympic Games which I have longed for from old days and dreamed of. And there is oneself on the other thinking that I must practice well for the season. Maintaining both states of mind and regarding excitement and tension as important, I will face each competition and take good care of the process until the Olympics."

For Hanyu, the Olympic Games is the "wants to get a gold medal" stage longed for since the days of a child. Senior, Shizuka Arakawa from Sendai, the same hometown as Hanyu's, won the championship at Torino Olympics in 2006 and it broadened and blew up his dream.

"I want to be in that Olympic scene. I am excited thinking of what kind of performance I can do there. But fierce fights are waiting to go for the Olympics. I think that getting high scores steadily in each competition including the Japanese Nationals (the last selection) and raising the world ranking is going to be taken into consideration for the selection. I want to achieve those purposes on perfect condition without being hurt."

Hanyu came third in the world championship (France) of March, 2012, but he sprained his ankle just before the game and was not on perfect physical condition. And he caught a cold just before the world championship (Canada) of this March, took rests and overdid at the time of the practice reopening, he had to skate in the situation that his knee was injured. After having failed in the adjustment before an important competition called the world championship for two consecutive years, he tightens expression, "I cannot repeat the same mistakes (in the season of Sochi Olympics)."

"I have hurt a knee in last season, but I think I have no choice but to keep good company with it because it is not readily an injury recovered completely. I do the icing treatment carefully for prevention of injury and came to make much of the stretching exercise I was not conscious of that much before. I train focusing on the muscular strength of the upper body supporting thigh muscle, and I am also confident of physical condition management."

As for new programs of the Olympic season, the number of the quadruple jump is going to be the same as the last season's, keep one in SP and two in FP. This is because he thinks that there is still reformability in skating, spins and combination jumps more than increaseing the number of quad.

page 3

In such situation, he is begining new approach in the ice shows. He did collaboration in music "Hana ni nare" with Fumiya Sashida (a singer-songwriter) in "Fantasy on ice" of June in the last season and brought it to the exhibition during the season. But this year, he collaborated with different artists, Fumiya Fujii in "Art on ice" (Tokyo) from June 1 with a song "True Love" and AI in "Fantasy on ice" (Fukuoka) from July 6 with a song "Story". He got on soft music and showed performances with the dynamism. "Depending on melody, there are movements and turns of body which does not live on an everyday performance. Such a skating is quite proud", Hanyu smiled.

Hanyu has been performing conscientiously one by one and growing up steadily until now while enjoying different fresh experiences to make it useful to open the directionality of his field of vision and choreography.

In addition, in "the jump battle", becoming the common event of male skaters in the finale of the shows, he challenged quads with Javier Fernandez (Spain) who received instruction to Brian Orser coach together, and in the last show of "Fantasy on ice", he landed three triple axels in a row after a quad toe loop in front of the audience for the first time in this season. It seems that the adjustment is going good so far.

"After the ice shows are over, I'll go back to Canada(Tronto). Then I'll participate in the summer camp. I'm going to make up a base for this season and decide how I make a game from it.", Hanyu said. For the first experience "The Olympic Season", he seems to be going into serious mode.

I used translation system on the internet here and there this time, so some parts might sound weird...sorry in advance. :p

giulia95

Medalist
Sauntering through YT videos in this summer Sunday afternoon , it happens to meet this old clip once again. It’s simply amazing how japanese guys have an extraordinary innate musicality and ability to express it, even at a very young age!:)

At 2:04 a perfect baby rapper!:points:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_EuJgTTAno

ser22

On the Ice
Yes. Yuzu passionate and a very good performer. He is living with the music. In exceptional skater.

Good luck for next season Yuzu! You will be the world's best skater!