Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 33 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

Vanilla Smile

Rinkside
His problem is not that he doesn't like eating :confused: but that he was a small eater. Ajinomoto found recipes that stimulated his appetite and were more balanced, and thanks to this he started eating more and has been healthy all season. If anything, he had 'bad' eating habits for an athlete. But he has never been worried about gaining weight -- in fact, to whoever asked he kept saying that he could eat whatever he wanted because he was just naturally thin.
He also likes sweets and snacks on chocolate often (which is not exactly a weight-conscious behaviour).

In his latest IFS interview (released at the beginning of the season) Orser said that Yuzuru was worried at first about doing off-ice training, because he thought gaining mass would affect his jumps. In the end, what he's doing is aimed at making him stronger and increasing his stamina. His parents don't want him to do weight training until he's finished growing, anyway.

It's positive for him to have somebody who helps him with his diet even if he naturally doesn't put on weight.
But his obsession regarding his jumps makes me think he will be able to reach the Quad Axel sooner or later (don't know if I'm being too subjective, but let's hope!).

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
It's positive for him to have somebody who helps him with his diet even if he naturally doesn't put on weight.
But his obsession regarding his jumps makes me think he will be able to reach the Quad Axel sooner or later (don't know if I'm being too subjective, but let's hope!).

It worries me if he is too obsessed with jumps. I don't think is possitive :think:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
@Hanmgse

I share your concerns as well. I feel like there's so much else in his skating that he should be focusing on and improving than seeking to master more quads. As many other posters have repeatedly mentioned, his lines are sloppy and all over the place. I also worry about the damage he will do to his body if he keeps trying to max out the quad content. This sport is figure skating, not figure JUMPING.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
@Hanmgse

I share your concerns as well. I feel like there's so much else in his skating that he should be focusing on and improving than seeking to master more quads. As many other posters have repeatedly mentioned, his lines are sloppy and all over the place. I also worry about the damage he will do to his body if he keeps trying to max out the quad content. This sport is figure skating, not figure JUMPING.

Exactly, He needs to be a more complete skater, i think most people recognize him only for his jumps :/ but well i hope he improves with time

Vanilla Smile

Rinkside
@Hanmgse

He should improve other things, yes, but seemingly he actually wants to be recognized for his jumps.

littlexflower

Rinkside
http://instagram.com/p/lGKibzNjjo/
A recent photo of Javier and Yuzu in Toronto Cricket Club! I hope this updating about Yuzu's photos is not considered gossip. It doesn't relate to figure skating directly, and seeing you guys discuss seriously makes me feel a little... embarrassed *shy shy shy*
Anyways I always love to see Yuzu taking photos with other skaters hehehe. His English is not good so I was afraid he had few skater friends except Japanese ones. However it turns out recently that he's pretty close with Javier, Misha Ge and even Denis Ten.
(Sorry for my clumsy English)

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Exactly, He needs to be a more complete skater, i think most people recognize him only for his jumps :/ but well i hope he improves with time

Well, I'm not an expert to talk about this, but his PCS improved massively this season. Also, he had some trouble with his jumps at the FS the whole season and I'm sure he's not pleased with this. He's such a perfectionist that I'm sure he'll try to be the best not only at jumps.:)

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
http://instagram.com/p/lGKibzNjjo/
A recent photo of Javier and Yuzu in Toronto Cricket Club! I hope this updating about Yuzu's photos is not considered gossip. It doesn't relate to figure skating directly, and seeing you guys discuss seriously makes me feel a little... embarrassed *shy shy shy*

Of course it relates to figure skating as long as it relates to Yuzu. You don't have to feel embarrassed, I'm happy that more and more people post in this topic:yes: Thanks for posting it, I also like photos with Yuzu and Javi, they seem to get on very well.

FTnoona

Final Flight
Well, I'm not an expert to talk about this, but his PCS improved massively this season. Also, he had some trouble with his jumps at the FS the whole season and I'm sure he's not pleased with this. He's such a perfectionist that I'm sure he'll try to be the best not only at jumps.:)

I'd hate to say this but his PCS since the GPF for his FS have been a bit :think: to me, but then again that's how PCS roll nowadays - a bonus for skating well? I think he deserves every bit of his high PCS in the SP though.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I'd hate to say this but his PCS since the GPF for his FS have been a bit :think: to me. I think he deserves every bit of his high PCS in the SP though.

I must agree that the PCS changed too drastically from one event to another. Before the GPF the score difference between Yuzu and Chan was huge, I couldn't even hope for a gold medal for Yuzu. I agree with the SP, this season he improved it in all the aspects. But (opinion of a non-trained eye) his PCS are ok now (at skating skills maybe the change was too big in short time). I like the artistic part of the program, the choreography looks beautiful.

Becki

Medalist
I'd hate to say this but his PCS since the GPF for his FS have been a bit :think: to me, but then again that's how PCS roll nowadays - a bonus for skating well? I think he deserves every bit of his high PCS in the SP though.

My justification is if Javi can get mid to high 80s in PCS, Yuzu deserves at least high 80s to low 90s :p

Meoima

Match Penalty
I must agree that the PCS changed too drastically from one event to another. Before the GPF the score difference between Yuzu and Chan was huge, I couldn't even hope for a gold medal for Yuzu. I agree with the SP, this season he improved it in all the aspects. But (opinion of a non-trained eye) his PCS are ok now (at skating skills maybe the change was too big in short time). I like the artistic part of the program, the choreography looks beautiful.
The kid's FS in GPF were quite excellent despite the 4S fall so I agreed with the PCS in GPF.
His SP was exceptional at Olympic hence he deserved that PCS score.
I don't agreed with his free skate's PCS at Olympic, though (90.98). He had 2 falls and it should cost him more (I think his PCS at FS should be 85 or 87). But then again, the judges tend to give those in the final group drastic high score in PCS. And to think that Chan had higher PCS (92.70) even though he made more mistakes than this kid both in SP and FS (Yuzu's SP was much better than Chan, but his PCS was still lower, while I find Chan's SP quite boring).
The problem stay with the judges' protocol, I think. They have always been generous with Patrick Chan's PCS. Thus when they acknowlegde that this kid has enough potential to be a gold medalist, the have to raise his PCS as well.
Not to mention, he gave a good impression on the judges thanked to his outstanding SP, they must have gone easy on him. I guess.

Frankly, I think both Patrick Chan and Yuzur's PCS at free skakte Olympic should be between 85 or 87 because they made mistake (well, but so did the others men). Even with such lower scores in FS, the replacements would stay the same thanked to their high score in SP. My ideal score would be like this:
Yuzuru: 276.11 (101.45+ 173.64)
Patrick Chan: 270.52 (97.52 + 173.10)
So, even if both of their socres were lower -5 in PCS due to their mistakes in FS, they are still gold and silver medalist respectively.

FTnoona

Final Flight
The kid's FS in GPF were quite excellent despite the 4S fall so I agreed with the PCS in GPF.
His SP was exceptional at Olympic hence he deserved that PCS score.
I don't agreed with his free skate's PCS at Olympic, though (90.98). He had 2 falls and it should cost him more (I think his PCS at FS should be 85 or 87). But then again, the judges tend to give those in the final group drastic high score in PCS. And to think that Chan had higher PCS (92.70) even though he made more mistakes than this kid both in .

But isn't that contradictory to agreeing with his PCS for the GPF FS? He had 92.38 in PCS for the GPF with a fall on the 4S. He had an extra fall by the rules on the 3F (I don't think a skater's fallen until the body ends up on the ice, but that's just me) and his PCS were 2 points lower than at the GPF.
It's kinda strange, but personally, I felt more emotion from Yuzu's Olympic FS versus the GPF one even though the Olympic one is so much more flawed besides the 2 falls. You could really feel the fight for the last step sequence.
I'm hoping that he can find that in himself again and just let it go for worlds :]

Meoima

Match Penalty
But isn't that contradictory to agreeing with his PCS for the GPF FS? He had 92.38 in PCS for the GPF with a fall on the 4S. He had an extra fall by the rules on the 3F (I don't think a skaters fallen until the body ends up on the ice, but that's just me) and his PCS were 2 points lower than at the GPF.
Yup, but his FS at GPF was much better than his FS at Sochi, he had showed much more energy and confidence there. Anyways, I don't think it's his fault for such high PCS. I think it's because of Patrick Chan's high PCS (which people have always point out that is unfair). It's the PCS inlations. I like Patrick Chan, but I never belive Patrick Chan deserves such high PCS either. At his best, Patrick should just get 88 or 89 PCS.:laugh: