Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 34 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

FTnoona

Final Flight
Yup, but his FS at GPF was much better than his FS at Sochi, he had showed much more energy and confidence there. Anyways, I don't think it's his fault for such high PCS. I think it's because of Patrick Chan's high PCS (which people have always point out that is unfair). I like Patrick Chan, but I never belive Patrick Chan deserved such high PCS either. At his best, Patrick should just get 88 or 89 PCS.:laugh:

Hehe..We'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm probably just weird though about liking the emotion from the Olympic FS more :eek::

Meoima

Match Penalty
Hehe..We'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm probably just weird though about liking the emotion from the Olympic FS more :eek::

Well, I hope the kid (sorry for calling Yuzuru the kid, he is still a minor due to Japanese law) will perform his best at Worlds at the end of this month. I do think his current FS have the potential to be much better. His SP was not really succesfull last year, he keeps it till now and it helped him set 2 world records. I hope he would do the same with the current FS.

PS: Still, I have to say NO to his FS costume. SP's costume is okay.:rolleye: But Weir and Brian Oser should re-think about their choices of costume for this kid. :disapp:

FTnoona

Final Flight
Well, I hope the kid (sorry for calling Yuzuru the kid, he is still a minor due to Japanese law) will perform his best at Worlds at the end of this month. I do think his current FS have the potential to be much better. His SP was not really succesfull last year, he keeps it till now and it helped him set 2 world records. I hope he would do the same with the current FS.

PS: Still, I have to say NO to his FS costume. SP's costume is okay.:rolleye: But Weir and Brian Oser should re-think about their choices of costume for this kid. :disapp:

There are definitely little glimpses of '11-'12 Yuzu in this FS that comes out once in a while. About his FS costume though. Yuzu seems to really like the style (even from when he was a kid, his style hasn't changed that much - like the firebird costume or the one from the year before) and Johnny has said that he was very particular about what he wanted. I guess as long as he's happy with his costume, I'll try to like it too (no matter how much I wanna spray him with a water bottle each time I see him in it.... :slink:)

Meoima

Match Penalty
There are definitely little glimpses of '11-'12 Yuzu in this FS that comes out once in a while. About his FS costume though. Yuzu seems to really like the style (even from when he was a kid, his style hasn't changed that much - like the firebird costume or the one from the year before) and Johnny has said that he was very particular about what he wanted. I guess as long as he's happy with his costume, I'll try to like it too (no matter how much I wanna spray him with a water bottle each time I see him in it.... :slink:)
Come to think of it, his costume at Worlds 2013 was much much more... scary to look at. :popcorn: I would rather him wear the costumes he usually wears at EX. That style suits him more. Or he would rather wear jeans. :think:

Choc0Lee

Spectator
Are you talking about the packets of ice that he has wrapped around his knees?
If so, athletes ice the knees to reduce swelling and inflammation. A lot of NBA players do it when they take a rest during the game.

Yea I also believe it is for inflammation, which is common in sports. Ice is good for inflammation.

Just wanted to leave a link here of Yuzu like bopping/dancing for a couple seconds. Go to 1:00! So cute!!!
http://youtu.be/zE0V1KRDe64

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Come to think of it, his costume at Worlds 2013 was much much more... scary to look at. :popcorn: I would rather him wear the costumes he usually wears at EX. That style suits him more. Or he would rather wear jeans. :think:

:agree: Yes, I also prefer this costume to the one from notre dame. I usually don't have any problems with the costumes. I liked the SP one, but I don't think it would be suitable for the R&J program. (same about jeans)
(I also call him "the kid" and probably I'll call him like this until he turns 30:laugh: )

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
:agree: Yes, I also prefer this costume to the one from notre dame. I usually don't have any problems with the costumes. I liked the SP one, but I don't think it would be suitable for the R&J program. (same about jeans)
(I also call him "the kid" and probably I'll call him like this until he turns 30:laugh: )

The one of notre dame was really 0.0 the R&J is much better for me but I still don't love his costumes, but well if he is happy :D

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Hi, another new commenter is here :yay:

Just a brief introduction: I´m just a casual fan of figure-skating so I have no idea about the technical stuff.
When I was a kid I used to watch all Yagudin´s performances :love: and the Yagudin - Plushenko rivalry era was the best imo. After that, FS kinda lost it´s appeal to me and I drifted away from it for several years, but after Yuzuru´s PW I decided to check his other programs and yeah ... he kinda pulled me back into the sport :laugh: I must say that I really admire his flow on the ice and the feel for music (i bet he would be a great prof. dancer too).

after re-reading my post I really sound like a fangirl :laugh: can´t help myself :eek::

Welcome :D don't worry we all feel the same way here haha

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Hi, another new commenter is here :yay:

Just a brief introduction: I´m just a casual fan of figure-skating so I have no idea about the technical stuff.
When I was a kid I used to watch all Yagudin´s performances and the Yagudin - Plushenko rivalry era was the best imo. After that, FS kinda lost it´s appeal to me and I drifted away from it for several years, but after Yuzuru´s PW I decided to check his other programs and yeah ... he kinda pulled me back into the sport. I must say that I really admire his flow on the ice and the feel for music (i bet he would be a great prof. dancer too).

after re-reading my post I really sound like a fangirl :laugh: can´t help myself :eek::

Welcome:biggrin: I also sound like a fangirl most of the time:laugh:

phaeljones

On the Ice

In Toronto and at the Toronto Cricket Club, he is not referred to as a kid but treated as an adult with the utmost reverent respect. Here, where he trains, he is legally an adult and treated as one. However, it has always been that way from day one when he arrived here. He came here to grow and to be shown how to develop into who he is, not to be molded into someone else's idea of who he should be.

The costume, if you look at past posts dealing with the history and purpose of the costume (lots of threads on this site), and listen to what Weir said during the Skate Canada NBC broadcast, was designed under Yuzuru's direction and most of the features of the design were specifically directed by Yuzuru. Weir also said that Yuzuru personally maintained ultimate control over the design of his costumes (and incidentally the choice of his music). It is not a decision made for him by someone else. He is very much a person in charge, not a kid for whom those decisions are made. (Brian also has great respect for Yuzuru, and Yuzuru does make a lot of the calls in many other respects, such as for instance, keeping the quad salchow this year in the fs.)

I would also suggest that you go back and look at Brian Orser's costumes if you think that Brian would have any problem with the ones that Yuzuru is wearing. It should be obvious that he would not. But Brian, as well, knows what he is doing.

That you do not like his costumes is fine, but understand that they are part of Yuzuru that cannot and should not be separated out from him. He is not anyone's chattel to be told what or what not to wear. Everyone closely around him in Toronto seems to respect and support him, and stand by him. He is part of the TCC family. He is a person and a beautiful force unto himself. Orser and Weir do not have to re-think anything.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
In Toronto and at the Toronto Cricket Club, he is not referred to as a kid but treated as an adult with the utmost reverent respect. Here, where he trains, he is legally an adult and treated as one. However, it has always been that way from day one when he arrived here. He came here to grow and to be shown how to develop into who he is, not to be molded into someone else's idea of who he should be.

The costume, if you look at past posts dealing with the history and purpose of the costume (lots of threads on this site), and listen to what Weir said during the Skate Canada NBC broadcast, was designed under Yuzuru's direction and most of the features of the design were specifically directed by Yuzuru. Weir also said that Yuzuru personally maintained ultimate control over the design of his costumes (and incidentally the choice of his music). It is not a decision made for him by someone else. He is very much a person in charge, not a kid for whom those decisions are made. (Brian also has great respect for Yuzuru, and Yuzuru does make a lot of the calls in many other respects, such as for instance, keeping the quad salchow this year in the fs.)

I would also suggest that you go back and look at Brian Orser's costumes if you think that Brian would have any problem with the ones that Yuzuru is wearing. It should be obvious that he would not. But Brian, as well, knows what he is doing.

That you do not like his costumes is fine, but understand that they are part of Yuzuru that cannot and should not be separated out from him. He is not anyone's chattel to be told what or what not to wear. Everyone closely around him in Toronto seems to respect and support him, and stand by him. He is part of the TCC family. He is a person and a beautiful force unto himself. Orser and Weir do not have to re-think anything.

Wow you have a lot of inside information... Is does seem that Yuzuru is the kind of person that won´t do anything that he don´t want to do, but 19 is still young and he seem to do have an innocent side of him.

I think is talking about how young he is ... Golfer Sergio Garcia used to be called "The Kid" and people did until he was almost 30yo because he arrive to the PGA very young, maybe is the same with Yuzuru.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Actually, Yuzu seems to be very mature. However, I still have in mind the 17 years old boy who caught my eye at the WC. Also, I still call him kid because of his lovely reactions and innocent attitude. +Pooh:)

Meoima

Match Penalty

Don't be so serious. I was just trying to be funny. It's not like other skaters' costumes are not scary/weird to look at either (Javi's costumes has always been tight, kinda scary too). Beauty in the eye of beholder :laugh:.
Yuzuru is still a teenage, in Japan 19 is underage, it's their law, I don't think it's wrong to call him a kid. My mum is still calling me a kid even though I finished college long time ago. :biggrin:
Anyways, I don't know Yuzuru in person but I have met a genius his age before (a young violinist) and I suppose that these young genius seem to have the same carefree, innocent aura.

giulia95

Medalist
As far as I know Yuzu's mom is always with him everywhere he goes , never let him alone , she's at every competition and they're always together everytime they fly or return from Canada. Is she his agent?

yude

Record Breaker
I think this thread is very interesting to read for new fans to know more about Yuzuru.
It was opened in November 2011 and this thread itself is like a journey with him.:yay:
167 pages is a lot to read but I think it's worth it :biggrin:

SuzyQ

Medalist
As far as I know Yuzu's mom is always with him everywhere he goes , never let him alone , she's at every competition and they're always together everytime they fly or return from Canada. Is she his agent?

I don't think so. 19 years old is not regarded as adult in Japan, and maybe he needs someone to take care of him in order to devote himself to skating.

I heard Ms. Keiko Shirota, former Director of Japan Skating Federation is supporting the Hanyu family.
Yuzuru and his family is trusting her very much. But, she is a person dismissed from the Federation once due to money scandal around 2006 together with the Head Director. She is a very capble person, and actually it is her who built up the successful system to develop excellent figure skaters in Japan, including Nobeyama training course.
It is a rumor that there is some kind of friction between her and the Federation.
Orser wanted her to have the coach pass for supporting Yuzuru because he had to look after Javier as well, but JSF did not allow that, and Orser complained about it.

This is what I just read in a magazine, so I cannot say it is credible or not.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I heard Ms. Keiko Shirota, former Director of Japan Skating Federation is supporting the Hanyu family.
Yuzuru and his family is trusting her very much. But, she is a person dismissed from the Federation once due to money scandal around 2006 together with the Head Director. She is a very capble person, and actually it is her who built up the successful system to develop excellent figure skaters in Japan, including Nobeyama training course.
It is a rumor that there is some kind of friction between her and the Federation.
Supporting in what sense, may I ask? It seem that in terms of money with ANA and Coca Cola sponsor Yuzuru made almost US$2.2 millions last year, will guess that this amount of money will increse now.

In the emotional side maybe but I don´t think is smart to be too much close or depend on a person who isn´t ok with your federation and have had problems with the law.

As far as I know Yuzu's mom is always with him everywhere he goes , never let him alone , she's at every competition and they're always together everytime they fly or return from Canada.

Well look at Meryl Davis and Charlie White´s moms, they are so legendary for being at every competition and supporting their childs than for the Olympics there were fluffs pieces and articles about them.

I read in this thread a long time ago that his mother went with him to Canada because of his "eating problems", he couldn´t cook and she was worried about his health. Considering how emotional Yuzuru was when he moved first time to Canada (crying and everything that was reported) it wouldn´t surpriseme that she wanted to be with her. Is normal for a parent to be with his underage child (Yuzuru was 17 when he started with Orser).

Yuna Kim was with ther mom all the time she trained in Canada (and it was said that friction between her and Orser play part in the split).

Pamigena

Record Breaker
I have met a genius his age before (a young violinist) and I suppose that these young genius seem to have the same carefree, innocent aura.
meh, not all of them. I grew up with one of those (also a violinist) and her parents made sure that her childhood was put to good use so her talent wouldn't be wasted. there was never anything carefree or innocent about that girl (came back to bite them in the a**, though. when she went away to study at a conservatory she realized that she still had some living to do… I leave the rest to your imagination)

(I also call him "the kid" and probably I'll call him like this until he turns 30 )
I guess it's just what we "old folks" do :biggrin: probably just because he still looks very much like a teenager and makes us feel ancient. I'll probably keep doing it, too. I'm sure nobody here means it as an insult or wants to be disrespectful.

and besides, he does have that effect even on non-fangirly people. you should have heard my mom :laugh: she came by while I was still watching the flower ceremony after the FS. and the lady who handed over the flowers actually kinda patted Yuzuru's cheek. My mom started laughing and said something along the lines of "well, I get it. look at that baby-face! who wouldn't wanna do that"

as a side note: I honestly hope that becoming a grownup and keeping some kind of child-like innocence aren't mutually exclusive. at least not at such a young age. I'm sure he's very mature for his age. he's been through a lot. it changes you. (everybody who's ever been smacked in the face by life knows that) From what I've read about him he obviously has his own mind, he knows what he wants and what he likes. that's a good thing! But being legally an adult shouldn't mean that you have to be serious about everything all the time. And if the Pooh Bear is any indication, I guess he's not heading that way anytime soon. The fact that he's already so mature without being afraid to sometimes act like the young person that he is - that's very much part of why I like this kid (there, I said it again, don't hit me ;))