Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 42 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yeah I mean after the accident Patrick seemed fine and that is why I thought nothing serious happened. Accidents happen always so everyone should be careful. Blades are really scary jeez
May be it was just a deep scratch at the time, then it got swollen? I hope PChan is heal by now. Poor little soul (having said that, I am older than PChan, I should call him kid).

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
May be it was just a deep scratch at the time, then it got swollen? I hope PChan is heal by now. Poor little soul (having said that, I am older than PChan, I should call him kid).

maybe (?), but I really hope he is better now too because it does look painful u.u

Vanilla Smile

Rinkside
That looks very painful indeed... and quite deep. Can anyone share the link to the video? Poor Yuzu, maybe he felt a bit guilty...

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Did you bother to look at the photo showing the size and depth of Patrick's cut?
Yes, of course I did.

Did you bother to watch the incident itself, and the several minutes of the gala afterwards?
Let's consider what we saw:

Chan was wearing a white shirt.

If it had been an actual cut, and his skin had been broken - there should have been blood, and we surely would have seen that on a white shirt. If not immediately, then certainly within a minute or so. But we didn't.

I would also have expected his shirt to be cut or torn, but it wasn't.

He would also surely have left the ice, but he didn't - he was on the ice quite some time afterwards.

No doubt it was painful of course, and I assume that's why he unbuttoned his shirt: to take a look (you can see his shirt is not open wide til quite some time afterwards).

This is why I think it is more likely just a graze and bruising/swelling. If there was any actual cut (broken skin), it would have to be very small. It's not that I'm unsympathetic. I mean, if that had been a cut, and it was that big - he would surely have needed stitches.

By the way, I don't think Hanyu was the only one to do a flying entry like that - it looked to me like Machida did the same, at about the same time. So I have to wonder if it was a (badly!) planned part of the gala choreography.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The middle left gif makes me wonder if Yulia may have actually snuck a little sneak attack in there. That would explain the shirt not being cut. Weren't her and Hanyu partners? :think:

phaeljones

On the Ice
The middle left gif makes me wonder if Yulia may have actually snuck a little sneak attack in there. That would explain the shirt not being cut. Weren't her and Hanyu partners? :think:

Yulia and Hanyu, aren't they the perfect pairs couple?

It is difficult to tell but it looks to me as if the shirt was torn as shown in the top right gif. The cut is just over the pant (you see the black pant through the slit cut), meaning the blade hit him, went through the shirt but had to go through the pant as well so there was no blood on the shirt. My eyes are straining, but that is what it looks like. I cannot see a tear in any of the other gif's, but I think I do in that one. He brushes his shirt with his left hand where the tear is (in the top right gif).

Vanilla Smile

Rinkside

phaeljones

On the Ice
Thank you!
It seems Yuzuru touches his shoulder, but the cut is actually in a lower position. Can't see blood in the gifs either.
Patrick photo looks like a quite deep cut.
No blood in his white shirt.
Yuzuru's foot seems to touch his shoulder.
It doesn't make sense :p Can't figure out what really happened yet :/

The more I look at it, the more I think I am starting to get it. Patrick arches his upper body backwardly (and to his right) when he sees Yuzuru, but the blade still catches him BELOW the upper edge of his pant waist-line. It goes through the shirt and then (I think) through the pant (see top right gif where he brushes shirt with his left hand).

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yulia and Hanyu, aren't they the perfect pairs couple?

It is difficult to tell but it looks to me as if the shirt was torn as shown in the top right gif. The cut is just over the pant (you see the black pant through the slit cut), meaning the blade hit him, went through the shirt but had to go through the pant as well so there was no blood on the shirt. My eyes are straining, but that is what it looks like. I cannot see a tear in any of the other gif's, but I think I do in that one. He brushes his shirt with his left hand where the tear is (in the top right gif).

I was just being cheeky...sorry. I was going to do a whole JFK "back and to the left" comparison but didnt have the strength. Chan does drop his head to the left creating an illusion as she passes by.

In all seriousness, could there even be a worse jump than the butterfly to get caught by someone's blade?

I may not visit this page much other than lurking but I absolutely love Hanyu!!

Vanilla Smile

Rinkside
The more I look at it, the more I think I am starting to get it. Patrick arches his upper body backwardly when he sees Yuzuru, and the blade catches him BELOW the upper edge of his pant waist-line. It goes through the shirt and then through the pant.

So you think Yuzuru's movement was the other way around, starting from the waist towards below, right? I think it makes sense because the injury is deeper in the upper part.

phaeljones

On the Ice
I was just being cheeky...sorry. I was going to do a whole JFK "back and to the left" comparison but didnt have the strength. Chan does drop his head right as she passes by.

In all seriousness, could there even be a worse jump than the butterfly to get caught by someone's blade?

It was good cheek. In one of the other threads, they were putting together skaters who don't skate together who should skate together as the ultimate pairs team, and Yulia and Yuzu was one of them if only for the cuteness overload factor.

That gala was kind of weird for its execution and planning (as YesWay kind of alludes to in the post above), but I did not think it was that unusual for the skaters at the end of a gala to go from end to end doing those hotdog jumps. (Although the camera guys sure did not know. The camera coverage guys had no idea what was going on at the end.) Being an Olympic moment (and a retirement moment for some skaters), I think there were just a lot of distractions and deep soul-searching contemplation so that these guys just momentarily forgot how dangerous the sport is that they are involved in.

But that has to be the worse jump to get caught by. Ya.

phaeljones

On the Ice
So you think Yuzuru's movement was the other way around, starting from the waist towards below, right? I think it makes sense because the injury is deeper in the upper part.

the depth is really difficult to read because of the way the camera was positioned.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker

:laugh: Well I have read Yulia was rooting for Yuzuru to win and she has that "Sabre Dance" exhibition so she has both motive and the skill. Yuzuru's skating blades proving quite dangerous to Patrick. ;)

Seriously, I wish Patrick is recovering well. both physically and emotionally.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yes, of course I did.

Did you bother to watch the incident itself, and the several minutes of the gala afterwards?
Let's consider what we saw:

Chan was wearing a white shirt.

If it had been an actual cut, and his skin had been broken - there should have been blood, and we surely would have seen that on a white shirt. If not immediately, then certainly within a minute or so. But we didn't.

I would also have expected his shirt to be cut or torn, but it wasn't.

He would also surely have left the ice, but he didn't - he was on the ice quite some time afterwards.

No doubt it was painful of course, and I assume that's why he unbuttoned his shirt: to take a look (you can see his shirt is not open wide til quite some time afterwards).

This is why I think it is more likely just a graze and bruising/swelling. If there was any actual cut (broken skin), it would have to be very small. It's not that I'm unsympathetic. I mean, if that had been a cut, and it was that big - he would surely have needed stitches.

By the way, I don't think Hanyu was the only one to do a flying entry like that - it looked to me like Machida did the same, at about the same time. So I have to wonder if it was a (badly!) planned part of the gala choreography.

Thx for your response. Glad that you saw the photo. To my eyes, Patrick's skin was broken.

I also would say that a cut does not have to be bloody to be quite painful. And the redness around the cut, esp. at the upper end, shows that the inflammation was significant.

Again, I'm not blaming anyone for what happened. Just an accident.
And like phaeljones, I send hugs to Patrick.

littlexflower

Rinkside
wow I hope the relationship between Chan and Yuzu is still fine. However based on his description on instagram I guess he hasn't received the apology from Yuzu. :slink: He sounds a little sour for me...

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
wow I hope the relationship between Chan and Yuzu is still fine. However based on his description on instagram I guess he hasn't received the apology from Yuzu. :slink: He sounds a little sour for me...
Hanyu went over to Chan right after it happened, when all the guys were regrouping at the side of the rink, for the next part of the gala. I have no idea what was said, but I assumed he was checking that Chan was OK.

giulia95

Medalist
Hanyu went over to Chan right after it happened, when all the guys were regrouping at the side of the rink, for the next part of the gala. I have no idea what was said, but I assumed he was checking that Chan was OK.

A clip of the two talking together would be very appreciated, since it seems a drama has already started .OMG.:rolleye: