Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season | Page 46 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season

giulia95

Medalist
Newsclip about his training in Canada: here

He says he's now training 5-6 hours a day, which is double the amount he did previously: he's so tired he goes straight to bed after practice. Off ice, he started attending dancing (hip hop) lessons to broaden his expression range.

this is the message #557, 8/21/12

I didn't know Yuzuru was just like Mao!!:laugh:

zydeco88

On the Ice
Really, 3 quads?!! That's crazy! I just wonder what kind will be the 3rd one.
Not three types of quads. I think we should expect to see a solo 4T, 4T in combination (most probably 4T-3T) and solo 4S in his free program next season. :)

wxunxx

Rinkside
And I thank you for that, because when I read it I immediately saved it on my folder and I'll check it every time I doubt about Yuzuru.:)

No problem at all. I'm happy I could help.

This thread used to be so negative about Yuzuru's coach change decision due to lack of information.
I believe there are a lot of Yuzuru fans or people whom care about Yuzuru's carrer checked this fan thread frequently even without resisted a GS ID, well just like I did before.
So what I'm trying to do now is to deliver his own voice here, his thoughts, his decision,his everything.

wxunxx

Rinkside
Not three types of quads. I think we should expect to see a solo 4T, 4T in combination (most probably 4T-3T) and solo 4S in his free program next season. :)

Actually that's a may not a must. So we will see what's going on next season. But I'm sure Yuzuru desperately want to put three quads in his free program. He insisted couple times before.

HJJ

Rinkside
Really, 3 quads?!! That's crazy! I just wonder what kind will be the 3rd one. I read somewhere that he would like to learn quad loop. Let's hope his body can handle it.:cool:

Will it be like quad toe, quad toe-triple toe, and quad sal like Javi's FS? Since it looks like it takes about 2 years to have a consistent quad (or triple axel) at a competition for Yuzu, I think next season his quad sal will be quite good in the program. Thinking about 3 quads in one program makes me worry about Yuzu's stamina. But like he said, he doesn't like to lose and the skaters with 3 quads already beat him at competition. I think he will go for 3 quads in his free.

Anyway, a jump layout in the program is decided by a coach and a skater. Even if Yuzu wants 3 quads really bad, he will not be able to do them if Orser doesn't allow.

wxunxx

Rinkside
Preciously Yuzuru's training was quite rough. He said he mostly just fly jumps because he only could take one hour alone ice rink time, so jumps came to the first, he also understood he didn't practice enough time of basic skating skills. (Magazine Number 822), and he loses control while he trained himself too many jumps. (Article ユズルが天才である理由 by田村明子).

And Yuzuru said once in SOI TV program he loves to challenge himself with executed triple axel while he's exhausted, the reason is kinda funny, he simply just wants to know how strong he is. I have to say my mind became blanked after he said that. Sigh.

zydeco88

On the Ice
Actually that's a may not a must. So we will see what's going on next season. But I'm sure Yuzuru desperately want to put three quads in his free program. He insisted couple times before.
Yes, I'm aware of that, that's why I wrote 'should expect' instead of 'will definitely see'. :) But, I'd rather him not include a third type of quad as learning it will exert a lot of physical strain on his body and require a lot of time, not to mention he has yet to get his quad sal consistent.

giulia95

Medalist
I'm sorry the clip Kalina was referring to in her post #557 is not available anymore.

http://www.goldenskate.com/2011/04/shooting-for-the-top/

In Sendai, Hanyu used to train only two hours a day on the average and he didn’t do off-ice training. ”I just want to focus on the training in a short time,” he noted. “I have school, too. Also, I have asthma and I’m not so strong physically,” he revealed. Hanyu is attending the same high school as Takeshi Honda and Shizuka Arakawa who also came from Sendai. His favorite subjects in school are math and science. Later, he would like to study sports science and physiology.

wxunxx

Rinkside
Yes, I'm aware of that, that's why I wrote 'should expect' instead of 'will definitely see'. :) But, I'd rather him not include a third type of quad as learning it will exert a lot of physical strain on his body and require a lot of time, not to mention he has yet to get his quad sal consistent.

He said once he would like to succeed three kinds of quads in competitions at postgame interview of Japanese nationals 2012.
I don't think he will try quad loop now but I'm so sure he will try it while he's physically strong enough in the future. Yuzuru just never stop challenging himself, I'm happy with it but also a little worried. Sigh. I'm much more like his mother not fans lol.

HJJ

Rinkside
In Sendai, Hanyu used to train only two hours a day on the average and he didn’t do off-ice training. ”I just want to focus on the training in a short time,” he noted. “I have school, too. Also, I have asthma and I’m not so strong physically,” he revealed.

I was quite surprised that he didn't do off-ice training in Sendai. No wonder why he was so exhausted after the program. I don't know about other countries but here in America even from Juvenile (or even lower level), skaters do off-ice traning to increase their stamina, improve their core strength, strenthen muscle, and etc. All these off ice trainings, of course, is to prevent sports injuries eventually.
Yuzu is not the only one with asthma. Chalie White is also a skater with asthma. I see him having a hard time to breathe after the program many times. However, Davis/White are known for really hard workers, too.

giulia95

Medalist
I was quite surprised that he didn't do off-ice training in Sendai. No wonder he was so exhausted after the program. I don't know about other countries but here in America even from Juvenile (or even lower level), skaters do off-ice traning to increase their stamina, improve their core strength, strenthen muscle, and etc. All these off ice trainings, of course, is to prevent sports injuries eventually.
Yuzu is not the only one with asthma. Chalie White is also a skater with asthma. I see him having a hard time to breathe after the program many times. However, Davis/White are known for really hard workers, too.

There are many different levels of severity related to asthma so that you can't compare yourself to others.

Then Charlie is a MAN , while Yuzuru is a very thin kid and it's the asthma which sets his body resistance and not vice versa.

zydeco88

On the Ice
He said once he would like to succeed three kinds of quads in competitions at postgame interview of Japanese nationals 2012.
I don't think he will try quad loop now but I'm so sure he will try it while he's physically strong enough in the future. Yuzuru just never stop challenging himself, I'm happy with it but also a little worried. Sigh. I'm much more like his mother not fans lol.
I read the transcript of that interview as well. He actually said that he'd like to include 3 types of quads next season. Oh well, he was just being his usual ambitious self, I guess. XD For sure, he will add more types of quads to his technical arsenal in the future, but it's best not to go with this idea next season. He and of course his team need to focus on strategizing what works best for him at the moment in order to win.

HelTra91

Rinkside
3 quads :love: I don't know if he is physically strong enough to take on that challenge but surely the only thing he is thinking is "If Javi can do it, so can I" :laugh:

HelTra91

Rinkside
I read the transcript of that interview as well. He actually said that he'd like to include 3 types of quads next season. Oh well, he was just being his usual ambitious self, I guess. XD For sure, he will add more types of quads to his technical arsenal in the future, but it's best not to go with this idea next season. He and of course his team need to focus on strategizing what works best for him at the moment in order to win.

Remember that one article where his future goals were to land all quads, including 4A and to win the next 2 olympics? LOL LOL LOL, it's obviously old because since then he said the next Olympics won't be his main focus it will probably be the one after Sochi. Kid I love you but that is ridiculous :laugh: However, I still believe that if anyone is going to land a 4A it will be Yuzu. Party on! :party:

HJJ

Rinkside
There are many different levels of severity related to asthma so that you can't compare yourself to others.

Then Charlie is a MAN , while Yuzuru is a very thin kid and it's the asthma which sets his body resistence and not vice versa.

Yes, all are different. You cannot compare to others. But Charlie was once a kid too. :) Unless he suddenly got asthma in adulthood (is it possible?), he has been with asthma all through his skating career (and he has skated since he was 5 years old)

I don't know how serious Yuzu's asthma is. I know a person who has a quite bad asthma. She gasps for breath even when she talks. But if it's that serious, I don't think he was able to handle all this tough training so far.

He has the people who care about him, especially his mom. (I read or heard that his mom stays with him in Canada). If a situation is really serious, his mom will stop him (or coach) from training hard. That's what I would do.

wxunxx

Rinkside

Yes Yuzuru's famous of being sooooooooo ambitious lol, and I remember Daisuke and Mura both laughed after Yuzuru said that three types of quads thing LOL.
I believe he and his team will absolutely be realistic and arrange a perfect plan to deal with Sochi season, it's gonna be another tough season though.

zydeco88

On the Ice
Then Charlie is a MAN , while Yuzuru is a very thin kid and it's the asthma which sets his body resistence and not vice versa.
We actually don't have a clear-cut idea wrt the severity of his asthma. I think it's the combination of his asthma, lack of stamina (which might be due to the lack of strength training in the past) and body size that causes him to run out of gas at the end of his FS programs. I think there's a direct correlation between body size and lung capacity? People with smaller body size seem to have less lung capacity, hence the reduced ability of the respiratory system to supply more oxygen to body tissue during sustained physical activities.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I think the quad combo is more of a wow factor with the way CoP is structured now, well at least in the SP. For the short program at least, Hanyu's jump base value with the 4T, 3A(x), 3Lz-3T(x) is 30.76. If he went for 4T-3T, 3A(x), and 3Lz(x), his base value for jumps would be 30.35. :scratch:
It has been discussed a lot in the Edge and competition threads that CoP doesn't reward a quad combo enough. I won't go now into why this system was introduced considering when it was introduced. But the fact is that now a quad combo gives you the chance to perform the same quad one more time, like 4T and then 4T-3T(or 2T), or 4S and then 4S-3T(or 2T). So it does make sense to incude a quad combo and not just as a wow factor. Another question is who can do two quads in SP from top athletes. Probably Plu could pull it (before).
So I think that we will see a quad toe-triple toe combo in Yuzu's program. I hope he will keep his Triple Axel-triple toe combo. It's really a beauty.
You can't have a 4T-3T and 3A-3T in the same prog. I mean you can, but the second combo will count as invalid element.
Yuzuru has a history of overtraining himselfissue,
Due to overtaining himself, Yuzuru injuried himself couple of times before even he's career just about to start, fatigue fracture, avulsion fracture and frequent low back pain. And now Jumper's knee./B}
Thanks for the information you keep bringing. If it's all true (keep in mind that I learned to trust 100% only video/radio interviews of skaters/coaches rather than media or pigeon post's twitter), then it means that his current coach is completely out of the control. And the way how he keeps putting all the responsibility of the failure season on the skater's shoulders only confirms that he is unfit for this job.
I don't think it has been done in a competition before? But I've seen a video of Plushenko attempting the combination before and it seems that he successfully landed it in practice back in 2010.
No, no one did it in the competition before. Plu indeed challanged it in practice in 2009, the second jump would be << under the current system, at least on this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0NJO6Pw1pI

We actually don't have a clear-cut idea wrt the severity of his asthma. I think it's the combination of his asthma, lack of stamina (which might be due to the lack of strength training in the past) and body size that causes him to run out of gas at the end of his FS programs. I think there's a direct correlation between body size and lung capacity? People with smaller body size seem to have less lung capacity, hence the reduced ability of the respiratory system to supply more oxygen to body tissue during sustained physical activities.

Size doesn't always indicate lung capacity. I think of someone like Rudy Galindo, who was pretty small for a pairs skater, and he was splendid. Also, many ladies skaters are very tiny, and women have less lung capacity as a rule than comparably conditioned men.

Of course the asthma complicates matters. But it's the lack of off-ice conditioning that probably causes the most problems, because it affects not just stamina but strength. If you have to use more power to rotate your jumps, you are not being energy-efficient. I know that a lot of skaters do things such as Pilates (which is known for building core strength) and weight training. Even if the Sendai rink could only spare Yuzuru two hours a day, he could have found a way to do some other kind of conditioning. I hope Brian is able to rectify this lack.

Interestingly, I found a used book about how to skate by Maribel Vinson Owen. It's very old and dates from a time when there weren't a lot of indoor rinks around. She had a sentence in there about how to train for skating if you didn't have access to a rink! These days, with our more knowledgeable trainers, there's probably a lot that can be done to build stamina and even compensate for lung problems. Yoga, for example, centers on breathing. I hope Yuzuru figures all this out so that skating isn't a misery for him.