Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season | Page 29 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season

Elsa G

Rinkside
He's had trouble in the past with the lutz, rotating it crooked in the air and popping it from time to time - '10 NHK SP, '11 4CC FS, '12 Worlds SP. With the added tech difficulty and concentration of the 4S attempts, he might be too tired to actually pull of the last lutz.

Actually he did not make a mistake on 3Lz in 2010 NHk SP,unless you consider an negative GOE -0.30 is a mistake too.
His mistakes on 3Lz in senior event:
2011 FC FS:1Lz+2T

2011 NT FS:1Lz

2011 東北・北海道ブロック FS:1Lz+2T;3Lz<

2011 CoC FS:3Lz+SEQ(Fall)

2012 WC FS:1Lz

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I've read that changed Yuzu skate shoes 4CC before. It may be true?
No, that was about Daisuke.
he would have to do it in a combo
Yuzu doesn't have any quad combo, still, neither with 4T nor with 4S (great work, papa Orser!). So, jumping two different quads is his only option for now, since two same solo quads are not allowed by rules. He used to land the seq in shows with a quad 4T-3A but it seems like gone with the wind too.

ser22

On the Ice
No, that was about Daisuke.
Yuzu doesn't have any quad combo, still, neither with 4T nor with 4S (great work, papa Orser!). So, jumping two different quads is his only option for now, since two same solo quads are not allowed by rules. He used to land the seq in shows with a quad 4T-3A but it seems like gone with the wind too.

Sorry! I read it wrong. :rolleye:

FTnoona

Final Flight
Elsa G, I counted the one at '10 NHK because he was so crooked in the air. It was amazing he powered through the 3T.

Let's Talk, Hanyu did a 4T-2T in the SP at '12 worlds. I find it hard to believe that he can't do it anymore when he jumps the 4T with such ease. He did 4S-3A in shows this summer before the season started.

Last edited:

zydeco88

On the Ice
2012 WC FS:1Lz

You sure that it wasn't 2012 WC Scriabin SP?

Well, it took him about two years to get his 3A consistent since he first landed it, the same thing with 4T. I remember seeing a video of him landing a quad sal at an ice show in Japan circa 2011. Was it at The Ice 2011? And Plushenko even mentioned about Yuzu capable of doing 2 quads in cascades in this interview, published in Nov 2011. So, he might not have gotten consistent 4S this season, but hopefully he could next season. I don't see how doing 4T-3A or 4S-3A would do him any favours as far as BV's concerned cos sequences are only worth 80% of the BV and they're physically draining. It's better to do them separately. Though, I'd like to see him execute them in future competitions. It'll surely generate a lot of buzz. Papa Mishin also seems to think that it's ridiculous that these 3A-3A and quad-triple Axel combos are worth less than they're supposed to, considering the difficulties of executing them. And as for 4T-3T, I don't think he's quite confident yet to include it in his jump layout and I'm pessimistic he'd have been able to execute it with his current stamina issues and with his current difficult FS jump layout.

Edited to Add: Yuzuru's recent 4T-3T.

Last edited:

jjane45

On the Ice
http://winter.sport-express.ru/figureskating/reviews/28399/

Brian Orser interview after Euros with quite some questions relating to Yuzuru. Anyone speaks Russian? :D

From what I read in a rough Chinese translation + google translate:
- While at Euros, Orser received an email from Yuzuru: Coach, come home, time to get to work (paraphrased)
- Orser thinks Javier with 3 very, very good quads and quality performance can beat the Japanese men including Yuzuru.
- Javier and Yuzuru encourage each other in training, both work very hard.
- Yes Yuzuru is sometimes nervous in competitions, but it's actually good. One needs to face it and deal with it. He is beginning to understand it.
- It is not difficult to work with Yuzuru. Working with him is great. One hard part though: Yuzuru sometimes asked to go home for a while. He values education and got into a top university in Japan, but he must learn to balance training and studying. Yuzuru is very, very talented, Orser is very interested in his development and Javier's the next 4, 5 years.
- The whole team is anticipating Sochi, Orser thinks a lot about programs and strategy for next season.

zydeco88

On the Ice
Translated parts of Mishin's interview where Yuzu's relevant (used google babelfish translator + Japanese translation from Yuzu's 2ch thread and tried my best to make the sentences coherent. There's bound to be mistranslation, anyone who speaks Russian, feel free to make any corrections. '......' denotes untranslated parts)
Mishin: The younger generations of skaters are following the footsteps of Alexei Urmanov, Alexei Yagudin and Evgeni Plushenko.

Interviewer: But the 18-year-old Yuzuru Hanyu was still too young then (at the time when Urmanov, Yagudin and Plushenko competed against each other).
Mishin: Nonetheless, I think he was chasing after the Russian stars (I think he knew that Yuzu is a fan of Plushenko). People begin to pursue something out of their desire to surpass somebody else. Just like how Plushenko wanted to surpass Urmanov. Geniuses are not born out of nothing. If Hanyu had been born in an era when doubles were prevalent, his talent alone would have allowed him to do triples. Top-tier skaters nowadays can jump tons of quads, so naturally he thrives to make his quads much better-executed. It's an inherent nature possessed by people who crave for victory.

Interviewer: How does Yuzuru Hanyu compare to Evgeni Plushenko?
Mishin: Geniuses of different generations are incomparable. For example, Jesse Owens who was deemed a (track-and-field) genius in the past, would probably be considered a beginner by current standards. If you compare Plushenko and Hanyu based on the number of quadruple jumps executed ('as of late', I believe that's what he was implying), Hanyu has the advantage. But as far as artistry is concerned, Plushenko is clearly superior. Plushenko has made history with his skating, while I haven't sensed the same thing with Hanyu. However, I have great respect for his skills and talent. Had he not made a splash on the international scene, Japanese skaters like Kozuka Takahiko and Daisuke Takahashi might have disappeared earlier (might have made earlier retirements?).

Interviewer: If you were given the authority to create the rules, what would you change specifically?
Mishin: I find some of the rules that govern TES ridiculous. ... (he went on to talk about PCS and how the marks given are sometimes surprising)..... I would have given a bonus for the execution of complex combinations of jumps such as a 4T-3A and 3A-3A. However, under the current existing rules, these combinations are worth less than the same two jumps performed separately. Such absurdity continues to slow down progress.

Last edited:

yude

Record Breaker
http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2013/02/11/kiji/K20130211005175490.html

There is a custom that female give chocolates to male on Saint Valentine's Day in Japan, and Yuzuru was asked about it.
"I'm sad a little bit because I won't be in Japan on Saint Valentine's Day. I'm happy when my fans give chocolates (etc.) to me, and I want to be given one by a favorite girl someday." (he smiled in shy)

It's kind of fresh to hear about girl(s) from him:laugh:

ser22

On the Ice
http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2013/02/11/kiji/K20130211005175490.html

There is a custom that female give chocolates to male on Saint Valentine's Day in Japan, and Yuzuru was asked about it.
"I'm sad a little bit because I won't be in Japan on Saint Valentine's Day. I'm happy when my fans give chocolates (etc.) to me, and I want to be given one by a favorite girl someday." (he smiled in shy)

It's kind of fresh to hear about girl(s) from him:laugh:

Thank you, yude!:p

jjane45

On the Ice
OK so apparently he injured the right eyelid on the day of competition because he bumped into automatic sliding door while shaking hands with a fan, according to reports there was quite some bleeding. The band-aid was still present during gala. Maybe the glasses are for protection? (((Yuzuru)))

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
The same two boys at their first competition: 2005 Asian Novice Championship
http://pic.prepics-cdn.com/hanyanchina/21120551_480x360.gif

In his autobiograph, Hanyu called Yan ' the first rival in my life.'

Heh... he really said that?

Here are some more pix from the same party :)

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/...1cb13b36ead2ddc54564e92584b8d_zps7d37e602.jpg

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/...6afc33d05b95bb219ebc4b7451286_zps74ef4f93.jpg

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/...f4134987a9440241f95cad1c85eba_zpscfadf13a.jpg

Thanks for the pic. And Yuzu actually lost to him in that competition. Yan came in 2nd while Yuzu 4th. :laugh:

Who was first?

Last edited: