Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Huge congratulations to Yuzuru for getting major sponsorship from JOC!! (translation much appreciated)
http://www.47news.jp/CN/201301/CN2013011601002063.html
Great news!! :yay:
Does that mean we can see Yuzuru's TV commercials, right? :biggrin:
No, Tommmy, it's mostly not about TV commercials but about sponsorship in return of the right to use the athlete's image. So, yes, who knows, he might appear somewhere. A bunch of top athletes belong to this "Gold Partner" program. I am actually a little surprised that only now he made the list. I honestly thought he is already in after Nice and all that Tohoku stuff. Speed skater Kato is mentioned in this particular article. Among others Kohei Uchimura comes to my mind, without checking the net, together with another gymnast Rie Tanaka, as well as Ryosuke in swimming, Saori Yoshida in wrestling, Sakura Japan national team. And of course- Daisuke Takahashi and Mao Asada. :)

Hanaka

Rinkside
the stunning kid who wants to become a flower ..:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gj2PebkRq0

Thank you for the link. It is so beautiful. I wanted to see it very much because it had a good reputation over the net. He is just getting better and better every time he skates to it. He puts so much emotion to the skating. The song is a message song. It can be a message for everyone, but I think he is sending a message particularly to his fellow Tohoku people as the lyrics go "Don't give up." "Keep living." He is sometimes in tears when he skates to it.

Another topic. Hanyu's charity book "Blue Flame" ranked 11th among Amazon's Best of 2012 Books in sports category.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/feature....6_grlink_7?ie=UTF8&docId=3077684656&plgroup=7
Congratulations, Yuzuru! :)

Last edited:

giulia95

Medalist
He puts so much emotion to the skating. The song is a message song. It can be a message for everyone, but I think he is sending a message particularly to his fellow Tohoku people as the lyrics go "Don't give up." "Keep living." He is sometimes in tears when he skates to it.

strong message, strong emotions..

It's just so Yuzuru Hanyu:)

sampaguita

Rinkside
I posted this in a minor thread, so sorry for double posting. But anyway -- I uploaded subs for the NHK documentary on Yuzuru Hanyu. Two other Youtube users have kindly filled in the gaps and corrected the mistakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5djBbHdVY9g

Any more comments/corrections are welcome! I am currently working on translating a shorter interview, and I hope you wouldn't mind if I post the Youtube links here, as well.

giulia95

Medalist
I posted this in a minor thread, so sorry for double posting. But anyway -- I uploaded subs for the NHK documentary on Yuzuru Hanyu. Two other Youtube users have kindly filled in the gaps and corrected the mistakes.

Any more comments/corrections are welcome! I am currently working on translating a shorter interview, and I hope you wouldn't mind if I post the Youtube links here, as well.

thank you so much for your fantastic translation!!:bow:

It’s always so interesting to know Yuzu’s personal point of view. I was expecially impressed by his candid comment on SA FS.:)

Honestly at 30.00 it’s heartbreaking to watch Yuzu skate badly deep at night and sprain his right ankle at 2:00 am, while training alone in his hometown rink.
May be Yuzu and his coach will share the same idea of skating one day , I don’t know. Certainly I hope his canadian team will understand him better , which probably (and synthetically) means to try to close the cosmic distance existing between “Hello I love you” and “Hana ni nare”..

sampaguita

Rinkside
It was my pleasure, giulia! I wish I had done a better translating job, but fortunately others were there to fill the gaps. :)

thank you so much for your fantastic translation!!:bow:
Certainly I hope his canadian team will understand him better , which probably (and synthetically) means to try to close the cosmic distance existing between “Hello I love you” and “Hana ni nare”..

I hate his Canadian team for forcing him to mature so rapidly. Orser himself said that has to come naturally, but I think they're rushing him. They want him to become "one of the men", without thinking about what it is that makes him so special -- his youth and his passion. I think that by choosing a different gala program for NHK and Nationals (both of which were held in Japan) and a different encore in Nationals (he performed Romeo and Juliet, instead of his SP), he was sending a message, perhaps unintentionally. I think he knows that they're trying to change him into something he's not.

jjane45

On the Ice
Wonderful job on translating this long video, thank you sampaguita!!

I think that by choosing a different gala program for NHK and Nationals (both of which were held in Japan) and a different encore in Nationals (he performed Romeo and Juliet, instead of his SP), he was sending a message, perhaps unintentionally. I think he knows that they're trying to change him into something he's not.

Interesting point. Although I think it's nice of him to pick a popular Japanese song for competitions in Japan (he did perform Hello I Love You too at the ice shows following Nats) and some variety for encore is good.

I just hope he and Orser communicates effectively, as Yuzuru is known to say "yes" too often: language barrier and respect toward authority. And how I want to be a fly on the rink wall (or mirror?) when they discuss costume choices...

yude

Record Breaker

Thank you very much for your amazing work, sampaguita!! I appreciate it!!

giulia95

Medalist
I hate his Canadian team for forcing him to mature so rapidly. Orser himself said that has to come naturally, but I think they're rushing him. They want him to become "one of the men", without thinking about what it is that makes him so special -- his youth and his passion. I think that by choosing a different gala program for NHK and Nationals (both of which were held in Japan) and a different encore in Nationals (he performed Romeo and Juliet, instead of his SP), he was sending a message, perhaps unintentionally. I think he knows that they're trying to change him into something he's not.

Hi Sampaguita ! I know what you mean, but I don’t think the canadian team will be able to change Yuzuru that much, because his personality is too strong and the kid is more mature than what they thought . He has already demonstrated to be able to decide on his own, taking responsability and facing the consequence of his choices. :)

This is the reason why I highly doubt “Hana nina re” Ex and expecially R&J encore were an unintentional message to his team at JN. :biggrin:

I hope the canadian team has already found a better way to interact with the kid , we will see next week at 4CC hopefully..

As Jjane 45 perfectly said, I would like to be a fly on the rink wall too (and not for costume choices only)!!!:laugh:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
he did perform Hello I Love You too at the ice shows following Nats)
. It was in Stars on Ice, i.e. in Kurt's shows (two in Osaka). Of course he performed the EX that Kurt did for him, it would be rude not to. The moment he was "alone" on the following days, he performed "Hana nina re" in Nagoya Festival, skated rather well but was clearly out of breath at the end. Then on the next day at JSC he skated SP and fell on all jumps passes, according to twitter. Anyway, it will be broadcasted on Feb 3, so we'll be able to see. One thing is for sure- he can't keep a few shows straight due to too much physical demand form him. And no one in his Canadian team seems to care.

jjane45

On the Ice
One thing is for sure- he can't keep a few shows straight due to too much physical demand form him. And no one in his Canadian team seems to care.

Hmmm. Hearing about the show schedule in the first half of January I thought it must be brutal. It's not "just" skating the shows, I bet there were lots of other obligations and activities including travel that stressed him out. Plus he was coming off a series of elite competitions week after week and badly needed a break. It's hard to tell what was Orser's team planning for him during this period. Do you have reports on it?

On the other hand, I think staying in Canada enables him to train in relative peace and avoid the ever growing media hype. Cricket club has much better resources overall than his old rink, and it has been a very exciting season for Yuzuru. Best of luck at 4CC!!

sampaguita

Rinkside
Although I think it's nice of him to pick a popular Japanese song for competitions in Japan (he did perform Hello I Love You too at the ice shows following Nats) and some variety for encore is good.

Well, some skaters do different encores. Either they do their SP or their FS. But to do your FS from the past season, choreographed by your former coach? I think that's saying something.

Like jjane, I believe Yuzuru can train better in Toronto, not just because of the facilities, but also because there's not a lot of media there. However, since the 4CC will be held in Osaka, I can understand why he wants to stay in Japan for the meantime.

As for Yuzuru skating in too many shows -- he's been doing this a long time, starting from the time when the Japan earthquake struck. His rink was damaged, and he had to skate in shows so he can practice. I guess the habit stuck with him.

Elsa G

Rinkside
It's hard to tell what was Orser's team planning for him during this period. Do you have reports on it?
Actually I think he kinda mess up some shows for no particular reason.I remember some skating fans laughed about his poor performance back in 2010 summer ice shows,they claimed he use the ice show for parctice. Anyway,I get used to that.
I heard wilson is rearranging the choregraphy of Notre Dame de Paris.Hope we gonna see better version of free skate at 4CC.