Ilya Averbukh got arrested in Athenes | Golden Skate

Ilya Averbukh got arrested in Athenes

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
He is there as a TV journalist and according to the Russian website gazeta.ru, he got busted by accessing an unathorized area with somebody else's credentials. They reported that he spent some time in the slammer but is free at the moment.

On the related topic, the idiot who promoted goldenpalace.com in Dortmud, tried to pull the same stunt at the Olympics, got caught and was sent to jail for 5 months.

Yana

Eeyora

Final Flight
Surprised about Averbukh

I had heard about the return of the tutu nut I figured someone had already started a thread about this. I am glad he is going to pay the price this time. I wonder how this man happens to get past security. I guess he doesn't arrive wearing tutu's but changes afterwords. :laugh:

Actually this is not a laughing matter. :mad: As I am sure we have discussed before. This nutcase could have been someone worse who could have had worse motives such as harming athletes or even spectators.

Last edited:
In all fairness to Auerbach, we don't know the whole story but I would assume he is intent on being a reporter. And we all know that reporters stop at nothing to get a story. I don't think it is so terrible but then there is security to think about. The officers probably didn't know who he was.

Joe

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
The officers probably didn't know who he was.

What? You mean that not everyone in Greece knows who the reighing Olympic silver medalist in ice dancing is? You're kidding!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
The details in the article say that Averbukh is working for a Russian media company "Bosco"; the company's boss, Mikhail Kusnirovich, is also in charge of the Russian team equipment. Averbukh seems to have used different people's accreditations to get into different places. It is believed that Averbukh was acting with the boss's knowledge and approval. Ever since Ilya's arrest, Mr. Kusnirovich has been keeping a rather low profile.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
What? You mean that not everyone in Greece knows who the reighing Olympic silver medalist in ice dancing is? You're kidding!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

:D :laugh: :D :laugh: :D :laugh: :D :laugh: :D :laugh: :D :laugh:

tdnuva

On the Ice
Funny thing is - if there are not two Russians doing that and getting arrested - we had that incident on our olympic news... about a Russian promoting sports equipment (nothing about journalism) using someone else's identity to walk into the olympic village and therefore getting arrested.

BUT - no hint at all about who that was......... :laugh:

I've had experience doing Press Accreditations in the past. There are set rules on what a person is to present in order to get a press badge. I once refused accreditations to Walter Winchell for not having the proper papers with him. He called me every name under the sun, although I knew who he was, but I didn't budge. Still, I was kind and suggested he try Radio Accreditations. That's a long time ago.

I wonder if Auerbach can make a story out of this. It could make good TV entertainment.

Joe

JOHIO2

Medalist
RG, maybe he got a haircut and they didn't recognize him! :D

On the other hand, I seem to recall hearing the name Averbukh at this Olympics as a competitor. Can't remember what. I'm sure someone knows. Maybe they thought he was a relative trying to get an edge for an Olympian?

Forgot to add: the tutu guy got off with a warning in Germany 'cuz maybe he really was trying to impress his lady? I think the repeat shows he was just trying to fatten his bank account and he should be punished for breaching security.

Last edited:

tdnuva

On the Ice
JOHIO2 said:
On the other hand, I seem to recall hearing the name Averbukh at this Olympics as a competitor. Can't remember what. I'm sure someone knows. Maybe they thought he was a relative trying to get an edge for an Olympian?

Tonight an Alexander Averbukh competed in pole vault - originally Russian, but now an Israeli.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Yeah, I saw that. I knew I had seen the name somewhere in the Olys. Weren't those US pole vaulters awesome!