Corgi Soccer | Golden Skate

Corgi Soccer

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
At the age of 50 I have taken up a new sport, Corgi Soccer. My sister Abbbey the Pembroke Welsh Corgi came to live with me in June :love: . Every night she likes to play about 30 minutes of soccer using Corgi rules (actually just about everything in my house now is because the "Corgi rules", and I have to admit I love it).

The Ball - a regulation soccer ball that she has flattened enough to be able to grip with her teeth.

The Field - the long hallway that runs from the foyer through to the family room/kitchen

The Game - Piel kicks the ball into play. Abbey grabs it with her teeth and wallows it around for a about 30 seconds then with either nose or front paws sends it back to Piel. Then it's back and forth for the rest of the game....until Abbey changes it to game two.

Game Two Lazy Abbey- after grabbing the ball with her teeth Abbey wallows it and then steps backwards for a few steps so that Piel can kick the ball to her, This continues with Piel doing all of the ball movement and Abbey just stepping backward untill Piel makes it safely back to the recliner.

The Reward - Abbey does the happy Corgi dance on her back with all fours in the air, rolling back and forth and grinning as Piel tells her what a pretty girl she is. :love: :) :love:

JOHIO2

Medalist
Piel,

AAAWW! :D Too cute to be made up! :laugh:

At least you have to get a little exercise before hitting the recliner..........

kappa_1

On the Ice
AWWWW, I think corgis are just the cutest little things ever I just love them :love:
I'd try that sport out, but the corgi I know is scared to death of projectiles of any shape or form.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Oh! :love: How sweet! :love:

Madelyn loves to play PUG OF WAR, a variation of Tug of War, which involves her holding one end of a sock in her mouth and tugging on it while I tug on the other end. :love:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
kappa_1 said:
AWWWW, I think corgis are just the cutest little things ever I just love them :love:
I'd try that sport out, but the corgi I know is scared to death of projectiles of any shape or form.

I'm sorry you can't play ball with your Corgi, it is great fun! Abbey is afraid of thunderstorms. A few weeks I was in bed reading and it started storming, all of a sudden she took a running jump and landed right on my lap :eek: :eek: :eek: . Because of her short little legs we assumed that she couldn't get up on the furniture...uess we were wrong, LOL! Once in bed she proceeded to make herself at home snuggeling up against me just like she belonged there. Getting her down was another thing. I can barely lift her and she wouldn't attempt to jump down (which she SHOULDN'T do in order to prevent back injury). She hasn't attempted to get in bed again but when it thunders she curls up under the edge of the bed until the storm passes :)

RealtorGal said:
Madelyn loves to play PUG OF WAR.....

Madelyn is a lucky Pug! Isn't it fun to play with them? I find myself talking to Abbey just like she was a little child. :eek: My Girl Scouts are going to take her to the nursing home every week to interact with the residents.. We took her to day camp one day and after she sniffed each child she layed down in the middle of the floor as if to say "You have all passed inspection let the adoring begin!" I was pleasantly surprised at how well she tolerated the kids playing with her.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I taught my Norwegian Forest cat to walk on a leash. I thought it might be fun. Now I have created a monster! He ALWAYS wants to go out. And now he brings me the leash. Perhaps he was a dog in a former life? We go out for an hour at a time, and then I still get scratched to death bringing him back in. :sheesh:

Ah, if only he wanted to play soccer...... :laugh:

Laura :)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi all you dog lovers!!

Piel, I'm so glad to hear you are enjoying Corgi life. Corgi soccer sounds like a LOT of fun. I bet there are related sports to be tried such as Corgi Frisbee, Corgi Tennis, etc. I bet Corgi Checkers would be fun too for about 30 seconds until the pieces started disappearing! :)

Pug of War! I love it!!

Where is Goldenlady???

Bronzie, this is a pick up from my OT on the thread about how the US Men are shaping up this year. This is our FIRST show dog. We're rescue types. So this is a whole 'nother experience. The trainers constantly pressure us to crate more, interact less - all which is designed to create more focus on the work. But...we got Kimba to be a part of our family and a pet. My husband just really wanted a German Shepherd and we had a very sad experience with a rescue, so decided to get a pup. It was just dumb luck that we ended up with such a good one. Did you have similar trainer battles with your Dobie?

I feel wierd like a braggart our something, but I haven't competed in anything really since being a kid, so it's been an exciting summer for us. I hope you will all support me with a Kimba Cheering Thread at the end of September for the Working Dog Association of America Nationals, and at the end of October for the USA Schutzund Club Nationals. Competition will be stiff and we're trying really hard not to set our expectaions too high.

Since there are a lot of dog lovers around GS, I was thinking about the ability to share pictures. (we still can't post pictures directly, right? Just from web links?) I can't bombard my husband with a zillion pictures, but I was thinking it might be fun if he created a web page off of our site to post some favorite doggy pics from the GS crowd for those who may not have web sites. Let me know what you all think about that.

Here is Kimba's page again, and we could probably set something up as a "Golden Skate" page for our pets!

http://www.discounttechnologyworkforce.com/Mittelwest/Kimba/kimba.html

I'm likin' this stage mom role. :)

DG

Longhornliz

Final Flight
A good friend of mine from HS has a corgie that LOVED me. I hadnt been to her house in about 2 years and clyde remembered me!!! I love them, they are a nice medium sized dog.

I'm living with my parents now, but when I get a place of my own I'm getting a dog as soon as I can afford to be a responsible pet owner and give it good vet care in case (god forbid) something happend to it. I have too many friends who bought big labs or golden retrievers in college without really thinking it through and couldnt afford to care for them or get them fixed. BOOOO.

My short list of breeds that I'm considering is as follows:
Cocker Spaniel
Corgie
Pug
Mini Schnauzer
Carin Terrier

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi Liz!!

Bless you for considering you Dog responsibilities (i.e. possibilities of vet care needs) responsibly. To this day, I adore cats, and found them much more suitable companions than dogs during my college and additional single years.

When the right time comes, I truly believe you pets will find YOU! So don't be surprised at this stage of your life if the first pet that *finds* you is not a dog. :)

Best wishes,

DG

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Doggygirl, that is so true about pets finding you. I went into Petsmart, and they had some animals from the Humane Society. I knew I didn't want a kitten, and there was this cool large cat. I held him, he laid his head on my shoulder and purred, and when I put him down, he started talking. I LOVE talkative cats. And boy did I get a conversationalist..... Anyway, so I say I'll take him and I find out this beast is only six months old!!! So I got a kitten after all. :laugh: He's now about 16 months old, and weighs 15 pounds. He is also still growing.... :eek: So, yeah, we think we are choosing them, but in reality, they pick us.

Laura :)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
That's a great story Laura!

Sounds like your kitty definitely picked you LOL! Talkative cats are great aren't they? Sounds like a BIG kitty picked you too.

DG

bronxgirl

Medalist
I've had the great good fortune of being "selected" by both of my pets. My dog , now in puppy heaven after being here for 181/2 years, definitely picked me when I went to the pound. I had no intention of getting a dog, but I will always be convinced she me and my moher and thought, "Put on the sad eyed puppyface and I'll be going to the land of chopped liver!", (almost right -Mom wuld make her chopped liver whenever I got home from grad school with her).
My current pet is a cat who was about 10 or so when I got him last year from the rescue group. I told him that our agreement was that he had to be the best dog he knew how, and he has lived up to it in his best feline manner. He wants to be in the same room with me, definitely holds a conversation whenever I get home from work (or too late from anyplace else ;) ), loves tummy rubs, and is working on perfecting a growl that a Rotweiller would be proud of.

kappa_1

On the Ice
My doggie also selected me. She just ran inside my house one day out of nowhere and wouldn't come out. We could never find the owner so we decided to take care of her. She is now a bonified member of the family, and I can't imagine life without her. I wish dogs had a longer lifespan, but that's just life I guess. She's quite a diva though, who once carried a piece of chicken in her dinner all the way from her doggieplate to the other side of the house and dropped it infront of us as if to say "You're really feeding me THIS". Later on in life I think I'll get a nice mutt though, some of them are so much fun!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
We did have a doggie photo thread going, but it looks like it's gone now--past its 30 days of no posts. You can always upload photos for free at www.photobucket.com. (They will gladly accept donations, however!)

All your pet stories are SO sweet! :love:

We did not actually get selected by Madelyn, but I do believe that there was some Divine intervention going--or at least some doggie karma! About a year ago, we had told RG Jr. that we would soon start looking for a pug, female, beige colored, between ages 1-2. (I did not want a puppy.) The week of Thanksgiving last year, I got a call one morning from a friend who had a friend who had a friend who was looking for a home for her father in law's pug. He was ill and moving in with her and her animals and she did not want the dog, too. She was claiming that if she didn't find a home for the dog, she would take her TO THE POUND!!! :\ Wouldn't you know it, she lives FIVE minutes away! We were there within 30 minutes and the rest is happy history! BTW, she was 18 months old when we adopted her. My first ever dog!

I have to admit to feeling guilty. We basically got Madelyn for RG Jr., who loves her very much--they are wonderful together. However, as much as Madelyn loves all of us, she is really more attached to me than either RG Jr. or Mr. RG. She follows me EVERYWHERE. She prefers to sleep on my bed (it's bigger). I know RG Jr. is a wee bit envious--but there really isn't much I can do about it. I've tried locking her out of my room so she would go sleep in RG Jr's room, but she just cries and scratches until we can't stand it anymore. Luckily, she does go into RG Jr.'s room first thing in the morning to wake her up with licks and kisses. :love:

Piel, I talk to Madelyn like a baby. I mean, she's so little and cute! I can't resist! :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/RealtorGal/2dd592b1.jpg

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Madelyn managed to pull out of her collar and leash yesterday on my way home from walking RG Jr. to school. She was trying to say "howdy" to do very large dogs, who were tugging on their own leashes to get at HER. I totally freaked out. Someone grabbed her and I put her collar back on and carried her half way home. RG Jr. had wanted to put on her harness, but I told her not to bother since we were walking such a short distance. I will NEVER do that again!

Then I spotted a coyote climbing on the rocks behind my business partner's house at 10 a.m.! He was after her cat. We grabbed all the pets and brought them inside. The coyotes are becoming very bold in their desperation, especially as we continue to build and encroach on their territory. One actually crawled inside a doggie door and killed a cat! (I have no such door.)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I'ts amazing how brave these little dogs are! Coyotes, how frightening :eek: :eek: :eek: .Abbey hates her harness but can get out of her collar if there is enough motivation. The house on the next block has a family of rabbits and she acts like she would like to play rabbitt soccer with them, LOL..One day she did get out of her collar while Mother was walking her and tried to attack a pit bull. Mother came home in tears from laughing so hard. She said this big burly guy and his buddy were holding the pit bull and saying "Ma'am could you please keep that little dog away from Spike? " Abbey, being the lady she is was just playing doggie welcome wagon.

Last edited: