Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Rhythmic gymnastics

  1. #1
    Custom Title Johar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Petoskey, Michigan
    Posts
    1,741

    Rhythmic gymnastics

    *&^%$%!! I wait around almost all day to see it and still missed it! Dad said they showed about two people and that was about the extent of it, followed by, "I didn't know you wanted to watch it."

    By any chance did anyone tape it?

    BTW--are some events not being covered even though the TV sections says they are on?
    Last edited by Johar; 08-27-2004 at 11:17 PM.

  2. #2
    http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Scripps Ranch- A suburb of San Diego
    Posts
    817
    Quote Originally Posted by Johar
    *&^%$%!! i wait around almost all day to see it and still missed it! Dad said they showed to people and that was about the extent of it, followed by, "I didn't know you wanted to watch it."

    By any chance did anyone tape it?

    BTW--are some events not being covered even though the TV sections says they are on?
    I felt a bit disillusioned with rhythmic gym. alina kabaeva, the world champ of ribbon, dropped her ribbon during a leap sequence, and received no deductons

  3. #3
    Custom Title Johar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Petoskey, Michigan
    Posts
    1,741
    I still don't see how I missed it. I'm really bummed about this. Maybe tapes of it are out there somewhere.

    Those women are VERY flexible

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    210
    It was the preliminaries and there were quite a few drops that was unusual as they only showed the top ladies. They wear costumes now and have a kiss and cry couch. I thought I watching skating when they were sitting next to their coaches and waiting for the scores.

    It will be on Saturday on CNBC and then on Sunday on NBC.

  5. #5
    http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Scripps Ranch- A suburb of San Diego
    Posts
    817
    Quote Originally Posted by LBC
    It was the preliminaries and there were quite a few drops that was unusual as they only showed the top ladies. They wear costumes now and have a kiss and cry couch. I thought I watching skating when they were sitting next to their coaches and waiting for the scores.

    It will be on Saturday on CNBC and then on Sunday on NBC.

    Only in rhythmic gym, though...is your coach allowed to judge you...

    i remember in sydney, a girl's coach was on the judging panel (she was bulgarian) and she wasn't just her coach- she was also her mom!

    imagine if sasha cohen's mom got to judge her!

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by thisthingcalledlove
    Only in rhythmic gym, though...is your coach allowed to judge you...

    i remember in sydney, a girl's coach was on the judging panel (she was bulgarian) and she wasn't just her coach- she was also her mom!

    imagine if sasha cohen's mom got to judge her!

    I can't believe that a coach would not excuse themselves from judging their students in competition.

    Are there just not enough rhythmic gymanstic judges or what?

    It is basically a competition between the former soviet republics though.

    I could actually see Sasha Cohen as a rhythmic gymnast though. Just teach her how to use the apparatus(she actually already knows the ribbon) and send her in.

  7. #7
    http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Scripps Ranch- A suburb of San Diego
    Posts
    817
    Quote Originally Posted by LBC
    I can't believe that a coach would not excuse themselves from judging their students in competition.

    Are there just not enough rhythmic gymanstic judges or what?

    It is basically a competition between the former soviet republics though.

    I could actually see Sasha Cohen as a rhythmic gymnast though. Just teach her how to use the apparatus(she actually already knows the ribbon) and send her in.
    http://www.gymmedia.com/rg/events2000/kari_alle1.htm

    I was wrong. It was Ukrainian Yelena Vitrichenko whose coach and mother judged her in the ball (that was the apparatus I remember seeing her in- her mother even blew her a kiss from the judges' table!). I don't think it's a question of having enough judges, but allowing coaches to do both. If you read on in that article, it mentions that a coach was banned from judging for being biased. Ick

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by thisthingcalledlove
    http://www.gymmedia.com/rg/events2000/kari_alle1.htm

    I was wrong. It was Ukrainian Yelena Vitrichenko whose coach and mother judged her in the ball (that was the apparatus I remember seeing her in- her mother even blew her a kiss from the judges' table!). I don't think it's a question of having enough judges, but allowing coaches to do both. If you read on in that article, it mentions that a coach was banned from judging for being biased. Ick

    Why they let her judge her own daughter to begin with is dumber than a box of rocks. Anybody could see a conflict of interest.

    Saw the group final this morning on NBC. I love that event as they do things that are really cool looking with the ribbon, hoop, and ball.

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    696
    I am still surprised this is an Olympic sport. Why don't they have color guard as a sport at the Olympics? Or cheerleading? This is pretty to watch, but I'm still not understanding this being a "sport."
    I can totally see Sasha Cohen doing this sport though. She can do ribbon, is flexible, and has the "attitude." I think she'd excel at this. Does anyone know if she has ever tried it?

  10. #10
    On Edge Piel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bayfield, WI
    Posts
    3,973
    Wouldn't cheerleading and synchronized floor exercise be about the same thing? :D :D

    I guess that anything that involves physical effort and some type of skill can be called sport?

  11. #11
    Da' Spellin' Homegirl Grgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,144
    What a surprise this was for me. I had never seen this sport (?) before until this morning. It was pretty cool. I really wish I could have seen the horse dancing. Think I would have loved it.

  12. #12
    Forum translator Ptichka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    4,430
    I, too, was upset that Kabaeva was 1st in QC as opposed to Tchachina -- Irina was far more consistent, though Alina does indeed have a far more endearing personality. The athlete that I was personally very impressed with is Aliya Yusuppova from Kazakhstan.

    BTW, interesting piece if trivia: In Russian, artistic gymnastics is called "athletic gymnastics", and rhythmic gymnastics is called "artistc".

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    BTW, interesting piece if trivia: In Russian, artistic gymnastics is called "athletic gymnastics", and rhythmic gymnastics is called "artistc".
    That explains todays broadcast. At one point the commentator mentioned athletic gymnastics and I wondered if there was yet another branch of gymnastics I didn't know about.

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    219
    These girls make Sasha look mildly flexible! I'm sure of course that she could have been a rhythmic gymnast if she had the training- she has that kind of a body. I wonder if Sasha and Robin were watching this competition? If they were I guess we can expect to see some 180degree Biellman spirals come next season.

    Anyone see Mary Sanders? She has a nice, shapely body, almost like a showgirl. That's rare to see on a gymnast of any kind. Unfortunately it doesn't help her rhythmic gymnastics, I think it suits the skinnier girls with longer lines.

  15. #15
    http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Scripps Ranch- A suburb of San Diego
    Posts
    817
    Quote Originally Posted by LBC
    Why they let her judge her own daughter to begin with is dumber than a box of rocks. Anybody could see a conflict of interest.

    Saw the group final this morning on NBC. I love that event as they do things that are really cool looking with the ribbon, hoop, and ball.
    My best friend, who is a big fan of rhythmic gym explained this to me- apparently, it doesn't matter, since the high/low are thrown out. If Mrs. Vitrichenko overscored Yelena, her score would've been thrown out. Then again, all she would have to do would be to score the second highest in the group...

    Imagine if ice dance coaches got to judge their skaters...that would be a scary judges' meeting after the competition! Linichuk would kill Tarasova, finally

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Gymnastics - Inside Gymnastics Launches IGTV
    By SailorGalaxia518 in forum 2004-05 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-2005, 10:12 AM
  2. Gymnastics
    By SailorGalaxia518 in forum 2004-05 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 02:50 PM
  3. Olympic Trials, NCAA's, Gymnastics, etc.
    By A.H.Black in forum 2004-05 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-13-2004, 10:18 PM
  4. Rhythmic Gymnastics Help Needed
    By Piel in forum 2003-04 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-04-2004, 07:35 PM
  5. Do figure skating fans also like gymnastics?
    By danibellerika in forum 2002-03 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-06-2003, 09:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •