IN Article about Japanese fans | Page 2 | Golden Skate

IN Article about Japanese fans

Tulipstar

Medalist
Something I have been wondering about for a while:

where do they get all those flags from different countries? Do they buy them beforehand online, or are they being sold at the rinks, or...?

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
They are the best! They support and love every skater. They are not malicious they see the good things in everybody , they recognize and love the specialities.

Last edited:

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
I love watching NHK Trophy and all the competitions held in Japan I can feel the great atmosphere even if I just sit and watch on TV. And I knew they're very passionate about figure skating in Japan but the information about NHK and Nationals tickets kind of shocked me! It's crazy but in a good way :yay:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Something I have been wondering about for a while:

where do they get all those flags from different countries? Do they buy them beforehand online, or are they being sold at the rinks, or...?

We attended 2003 Worlds in Washington, DC. Flags of different countries of the competitors were available for purchase, so I HAD to buy a flag to support the Japanese skaters there (Shizuka, Fumie, Takeshi, etc.). I still bring my international flags to competitions & shows. Most of the flags I have personally are from countries we have traveled to @ some point (Canada, Israel, France, UK, Czech Republic, Italy, Spain). A Chinese friend of mine picked up a Chinese flag for me in Philadelphia's Chinatown so I could use it to cheer on Shen & Zhao, Pang & Tong, etc.

The first time we got to meet Kurt Browning up close & personal (2005 Skate America), I fooled him into thinking we were Canadian, by waving our Canadian flags! Ditto for Jeff Buttle (@ Mike Weiss' 2008 Foundation show)! As Jeff approached us, I heard him say "Oo, Canadians." :laugh2: :love:

We also attended 2016 Worlds in Boston. I didn't see any flags available for purchase there, but I certainly would like to have some additional ones to cheer on favorite skaters from countries we haven't visited!

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We also attended 2016 Worlds in Boston. I didn't see any flags available for purchase there, but I certainly would like to have some additional ones to cheer on favorite skaters from countries we haven't visited!

I wish they would have sold flags in Boston. That's pretty cool that they did that previously. I ended up ordering mine from Amazon before I went to Helsinki. They were a nice 3 x 5 size and were very reasonably priced -- $5 if I remember right...I only have 3 flags at this point but intend to get more. I really wanted the Latvian one (for Deniss V!), but for some reason there was only a really expensive version of that one. I think it was 4 x 6 and higher quality fabric.

Last edited:

Tulipstar

Medalist
We attended 2003 Worlds in Washington, DC. Flags of different countries of the competitors were available for purchase, so I HAD to buy a flag to support the Japanese skaters there (Shizuka, Fumie, Takeshi, etc.). I still bring my international flags to competitions & shows. Most of the flags I have personally are from countries we have traveled to @ some point (Canada, Israel, France, UK, Czech Republic, Italy, Spain). A Chinese friend of mine picked up a Chinese flag for me in Philadelphia's Chinatown so I could use it to cheer on Shen & Zhao, Pang & Tong, etc.

The first time we got to meet Kurt Browning up close & personal (2005 Skate America), I fooled him into thinking we were Canadian, by waving our Canadian flags! Ditto for Jeff Buttle (@ Mike Weiss' 2008 Foundation show)! As Jeff approached us, I heard him say "Oo, Canadians." :laugh2: :love:

Thank you for all your info. Funny that he thought you were Canadians:laugh:

I wish they would have sold flags in Boston. That's pretty cool that they did that previously. I ended up ordering mine from Amazon before I went to Helsinki. They were a nice 3 x 5 size and were very reasonably priced -- $5 if I remember right...I only have 3 flags at this point but intend to get more. I really wanted the Latvian one (for Deniss V!), but for some reason there was only a really expensive version of that one. I think it was 4 x 6 and higher quality fabric.

I'm going to Latvia soon for holiday and will buy a flag if I can find one for Deniss and Angelīna.
I have not been to any competitions yet, but hope to see them at a competition in Europe.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm going to Latvia soon for holiday and will buy a flag if I can find one for Deniss and Angelīna.
I have not been to any competitions yet, but hope to see them at a competition in Europe.

Aww, I'm jealous! Pretty sure the one I saw was $25 USD. So I figured it was going to cost me $1 per second of waving it {{:laugh2:}}, so I decided against it.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
National flags of your choice are easily oredered online by sites like this, for example

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I don't think that will happen. When I was touring back in the 90's, I remember landing at the airport near Chiba and seeing a giant picture of Yuka Sato in the airport baggage claim area. It was for an ice show that featured Yuka and her picture was everywhere. When I attended Worlds in 2001 the amount of press that followed Fumie and Takeshi Honda was equal to, or greater than all the other nations put together. I think skating in Japan will always be a big deal. Even the coaches are popular with the fans and all it would take to guarantee a sell out crowd is to ask Hanyu to do an exhibition performance.

I think skating in Japan will be fine.
I would also like to note that also many of the non-Japanese skaters have huge, passionate followings from them. And that seems to be a historical phenomenon, as I have observed first-hand way back in the mid-90's. I attended a World Championship in UK, and my attempt to discreetly approach my idol Alexei Urmanov was hindered more than once by a stampeding pack of Japanese girls. I also witnessed a couple of them followed Philippe Candeloro into men's wash room :eek:
Back to present day, Jason Brown has the most active fan club*s* (not one but two) based in Japan, and most of the crowd funding Deniss Vasiljevs ran last year was supported by Japanese fans, just to name a few examples. Of course bona fide stars like Hanyu would always be the main force, but Uno seems to be more than valid a successor, plus a few other girls like Mihara and Higuchi. I don't think the retirement of Hanyu will affect that much for the popularity of the sport in Japan.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I would also like to note that also many of the non-Japanese skaters have huge, passionate followings from them. And that seems to be a historical phenomenon, as I have observed first-hand way back in the mid-90's. I attended a World Championship in UK, and my attempt to discreetly approach my idol Alexei Urmanov was hindered more than once by a stampeding pack of Japanese girls. I also witnessed a couple of them followed Philippe Candeloro into men's wash room :eek:
Back to present day, Jason Brown has the most active fan club*s* (not one but two) based in Japan, and most of the crowd funding Deniss Vasiljevs ran last year was supported by Japanese fans, just to name a few examples. Of course bona fide stars like Hanyu would always be the main force, but Uno seems to be more than valid a successor, plus a few other girls like Mihara and Higuchi. I don't think the retirement of Hanyu will affect that much for the popularity of the sport in Japan.

Japanese fans also seem to really like Nathan. They really took a shine to him too.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When I first came back to skating after the "interregnum", it took me awhile, but I eventually realized how dedicated and impressive the Japanese fans are. They have my respect.:clap:

Of course, one of the reasons I realized this was following the social media feeds of the two Jason fan clubs, they are *so* active. So much information, photos, comments, and I know so very little Japanese (I have learned to recognize Jason and Jason-kun. That is it...) So major props also to the Japanese reading and speaking fans here at GS who are willing to translate:rock:

I don't think it is a coincidence that the IN articles quoted Jason. Not only do Japanese fans love him, he loves them, and is learning Japanese and talks often about his desire to live, at least briefly, in Japan some day. A mutual admiration society:biggrin:

yude

Record Breaker
I also witnessed a couple of them followed Philippe Candeloro into men's wash room :eek:

He was a very popular skater and I think he still is :) He still participates in ice shows in Japan and the crowd loves him.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When I first came back to skating after the "interregnum", it took me awhile, but I eventually realized how dedicated and impressive the Japanese fans are. They have my respect.:clap:

Of course, one of the reasons I realized this was following the social media feeds of the two Jason fan clubs, they are *so* active. So much information, photos, comments, and I know so very little Japanese (I have learned to recognize Jason and Jason-kun. That is it...) So major props also to the Japanese reading and speaking fans here at GS who are willing to translate:rock:

I don't think it is a coincidence that the IN articles quoted Jason. Not only do Japanese fans love him, he loves them, and is learning Japanese and talks often about his desire to live, at least briefly, in Japan some day. A mutual admiration society:biggrin:

Ditto for Sean Rabbitt's interaction with the Japanese fans!!!! :love:

ETA, some other pleasant memories come to mind - @ BOTH 2005 & 2007 Skate America, I waved my Japanese flag for Daisuke & "Taka" Kozuka, Yoshi Onda, Mai Asada & Miki Ando, etc. At BOTH competitions, some Japanese fans walked up to me & thanked me for supporting Daisuke! :biggrin: Believe me, I was happy to. I :love: the Japanese skaters!

Last edited:

Tulipstar

Medalist
Aww, I'm jealous! Pretty sure the one I saw was $25 USD. So I figured it was going to cost me $1 per second of waving it {{:laugh2:}}, so I decided against it.

Haha, can understand that. I hope I can find something cheaper than that.

I'm really looking forward to that trip: first time I am going to any of the Baltic states, but from what I have seen in guidebooks and online, it must be amazing to visit.

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Today Louis Vuitton fashion show in Kyoto . https://www.instagram.com/p/BUEsRk7BxbD/ They recognize him everywhere. If we are talking about the popularity of skaters in Japan must to mention him.

Indeed! One of the best parts of watching old Plushy programs on YouTube is seeing the Japanese fans losing their minds over him, skaters used to go up to the boards in those days...At one of the earlier NHK Trophies Plushy end up with a crown and an armful of plushies :laugh:

I also really enjoyed watching NHK this year, the Japanese fans were so awesome and they clapped along in time with the music for each skater, they have my upmost respect! :points: