2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 108 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

R.D.

Record Breaker
My only worry is that, whether she does 0 or 2 triple axels, she still has to rotate most everything else to make the team. The loss in BV from downgrades and URs cannot be made up fully by adding more difficulty.

YES. This.

Of course, all credit to her for attempting to push the envelope. In Gold's absence, this action will be sorely needed to push everyone else on the domestic level. But it will not be a magic pill to Nagasu's historic UR/consistency issue...I mean, just think. The pressure of Nationals, of making the Olympic team...a recent history of struggles at that competition...and you suddenly want to push THREE 3As? Easier said than done, I'm afraid...

This is NOT to say she shouldn't go for it or try if she feels so inclined. She has little to lose now, so depending on her state of mind it could actually work in her favor. But...I think her fans could possibly be setting themselves up for disappointment if they get *TOO* excited now...

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I’d love it if mirai won nationals. But lest we forget, nationals is not always great for mirai. And I’m extremely worried she may get injured this season.

frida80

Record Breaker
Good grief people. Calm down. She’s just having fun with a few combos. Her layout is going to be the same. Four jump combos aren’t even allowed.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I hope this will be a great year for Mirai. She's been my favorite American skater for a long time - In fact, the only American skater I've truly liked since forever. She seems to be in the right place of mind and this season more than ever the stage is set for her.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Good grief people. Calm down. She’s just having fun with a few combos. Her layout is going to be the same. Four jump combos aren’t even allowed.

THIS!

Mirai pretty much stated a few days ago in her CLARIFICATION - part 1 IG video that this will (most likely) be her last run for an Olympics.

Nagasu has NOTHING to lose. I would much rather that Mirai goes down fighting than not fight at all and still not make the team!! Her 3A attempts are looking awfully good, already got two credited internationally even though they were flawed. As long as she keeps trying her best to get all of her jumps around and FIGHTS through this Olympic season I will be content. I may be disappointed if she doesn't make the Olympics but I will be very happy and damn proud of her too because I know that from beginning to end she fought hard with all her heart and did her very best to get on that Team in what is likely her final Olympic run!

A four-jump pass is considered invalid unfortunately. But it would be worth 8.5+4.3+1.3+1.8 = 15.9 points.

Even a three jump combo 3A-3T-2T (or 2R) is pretty darn impressive! 14.1 points would be pretty sweet (14.6 with a 2R at the end even sweeter!). :biggrin:

That 3A cascade combo looks even prettier in color on Coach TomZ's IG: https://www.instagram.com/p/BaM0qVVHgve/?taken-by=coachtomz :love:

GANBATE MIRAI! KICK ICE THIS OLYMPIC SEASON!! :rock:

frida80

Record Breaker
The fact that the director of "I, Tonya" thought he would just get some random blonde skater to do a triple axel for the movie and his skating coordinator was like, yeah, no. :palmf:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttAn7BXOb3k

Just what we need someone who knows nothing about ladies figure skating to make a movie about ladies figure skating.

"What do you mean it was there's no one? It was 25 years ago. Other sports have moved ahead...."

Really dude?
I'm assuming the two ladies they were talking about doing the 3A at the time of Filming were Mao and Liza. Both have completely different 3As that Tonya. Very irritating to hear this man discuss it so flippantly.

sross43

Rinkside
Thank God that skating coordinator nixed asking Mao, Liza, or Mirai. Any one of them could've snapped an ankle trying to change their form to fit Tonya's.

frida80

Record Breaker
Thank God that skating coordinator nixed asking Mao, Liza, or Mirai. Any one of them could've snapped an ankle trying to change their form to fit Tonya's.

Not to mention the time they would have to take away from training just to do the scene they required.

I doubt this man understand how much athleticism it takes to pull of this jump. It's like saying we'll just find some stunt double to pull off Simone Biles at the vault. It's insane.

sross43

Rinkside
Not to mention the time they would have to take away from training just to do the scene they required.

I doubt this man understand how much athleticism it takes to pull of this jump. It's like saying we'll just find some stunt double to pull off Simone Biles at the vault. It's insane.

Did you all see that interview to a local Houston station that Simone just did? She was talking about how she's getting back into training and needs to regain her form. As she's saying this they play a clip of her doing nearly a perfect Amanar like it's nothing. :love:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Did you all see that interview to a local Houston station that Simone just did? She was talking about how she's getting back into training and needs to regain her form. As she's saying this they play a clip of her doing nearly a perfect Amanar like it's nothing. :love:

Okay focus people. focus. Skating. Not gymnastics.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That’s what they did in Flashdance. :laugh:

:eek:topic: Flashback :eek:topic:

This movie is before my time but as a tiny kid I fell in love with watching the record player work and my mom had this soundtrack on vinyl and it was always the one I wanted to hear. What a feeling :dance3:

Back to topic....which American girl could best pull off a Flashdance Ex?