2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

desertskates

Medalist
Anyone notice from instagram that Gracie and Ashley have become friends, actual friends not just kind competitors. Gracie posted a picture of them last olympics for Ashley's birthday and Ashley commented that they had totally forced smiles in the picture and Gracie agreed. Almost like saying, look remember when we weren't friends.
I noticed and I think it's really nice. A lot can change in four years. And though both ladies' lives and careers have taken different paths and been sort of all over the place, they have skating in common and that's HUGE. If they're both in Korea next year, I bet they'll have a very different Olympic photo to share :)

tars

Record Breaker
Perhaps she has given up any hope of regaining her peak form and has decided instead to enjoy all the perks of being an Olympic hopeful in her final amateur season. I am certainly ok with this; she has spent her entire young adult life burdened with unreasonably high expectations. Maybe it's time for her to enjoy herself and go out on her terms.
You touched interesting subject of monetizing popularity from athlete side. I completely agree with what you wrote, but let's talk about the other side - media. What do you think about the situation of national media inviting present form Gracie on pre-Olympic shows, instead of reigning national champion Karen Chen?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Wmd2wmtD4

Do you think it'll continue through rest of the year or they'll readjust? :scratch2:

Off-topic, but relevant question I think.

andromache

Record Breaker
You touched interesting subject of monetizing popularity from athlete side. I completely agree with what you wrote, but let's talk about the other side - media. What do you think about the situation of national media inviting present form Gracie on pre-Olympic shows, instead of reigning national champion Karen Chen?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Wmd2wmtD4

Do you think it'll continue through rest of the year or they'll readjust? :scratch2:

When it comes to skating, US national media is for plebs. ;). Gracie Gold is a more recognizable name than Karen Chen. (Plus it's possible that Karen receives invitations and declines in order to focus on training, maybe?)

They'll readjust based on the GP season, I expect. But if no one builds any momentum during those events (as is very possible - it happened last season) then I don't know :slink:.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Wmd2wmtD4 ...

My two cents:

For me (as a fan of both Karen and Gracie), your first question is not relevant to the specific event at your link -- the USOC-orchestrated Today show appearance of Olympic/Paralympic champions/medalists from multiple sports (Shaun White and others, as well as Gracie) to represent all competitors starting the one-year countdown to PyeongChang on Feb 8.

Gracie also was one of the Olympic/Paralympic champions/medalists who visited a NYC school on the same day as another part of the USOC's one-year countdown.

In the context of promoting the one-year countdown, I don't blame the USOC for featuring names/faces who would be familiar (to one extent or another) from previous Games.

Not to mention that Karen was training for Four Continents -- which this year was the test event at the Olympic venue in Korea, of course -- where the first official practice was on Feb 14.
I think it is just as well that Karen did not make a cross-country trip to promotional events in NYC only a few days before traveling halfway around the world to compete at Four Continents.

(Essentially a non-issue for Gracie, who understandably had been assigned to only an alternate slot for Four Continents.)

When performing on the tiny rink at Rockefeller Center, skaters have to scale back on elements anyway (meaning little or no jumping).
Under those limitations, I don't think that Karen (through no fault of her own) could have wowed viewers of the Today show any more than Gracie.​

ETA:

Please don't get me wrong. I do hope very much that Karen gets her fair share of attention in the months ahead.

But I do not interpret Gracie's appearance on the Today show in February as any kind of snubbing of Karen whatsoever.​

Last edited:

SkaterX

On the Ice
Highlights? I don't have audio at work.

She says that she hopes to not only make the team but to go and be in the top. She says it's very competitive and the work will be very intense but she believes that she has what it takes. She says that training for the Olympics is not nerve wracking but daunting but that also makes it enjoyable.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Vivian Le update:

She just competed this past weekend in the Senior Ladies SP and FS at the 2017 California Championships.

I take it as a good sign that she is healthy ... at least healthy enough to compete at this point.

And pretty sure she is in a recent Team Raf photo from Benoit Richaud. Vivian is second from the right, if my eyes do not deceive me:

frida80

Record Breaker
Vivian Le update:

She just competed this past weekend in the Senior Ladies SP and FS at the 2017 California Championships.

I take it as a good sign that she is healthy ... at least healthy enough to compete at this point.

And pretty sure she is in a recent Team Raf photo from Benoit Richaud. Vivian is second from the right, if my eyes do not deceive me:

150 is 25 points higher than regionals last year. She just needs to get her footing again. Now I need to see some scores from Polina. My guess is she'll go for Glacier Falls to debut.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
She says that she hopes to not only make the team but to go and be in the top. She says it's very competitive and the work will be very intense but she believes that she has what it takes. She says that training for the Olympics is not nerve wracking but daunting but that also makes it enjoyable.

That's a very good and high-spirited remark, but as long as she doesn't shape her body up to her former form, all her determination just sounds vain to me. June is already coming up.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry she isn't gaunt and looks like she's starving :rolleye:

You have to admit she doesn't look to be at an elite athletic level of fitness in which she has in the past. I've certainly noticed a change but the most alarming remarks are the ones she's made on the subject. Something is going on and I hope she can address it. If she's setting goals I hope she is meeting them.

yuzushenko

On the Ice
Is this a recent video?

I've never really thought that her jumps completely left her--she landed I think two 3Lz3T's at US Nationals this year.

this is old, i remember this being posted somewhere (specifically i remember when she had to dodge that one other skater lol).

plus she doesn't train at toyota anymore

andromache

Record Breaker
You have to admit she doesn't look to be at an elite athletic level of fitness in which she has in the past. I've certainly noticed a change but the most alarming remarks are the ones she's made on the subject. Something is going on and I hope she can address it. If she's setting goals I hope she is meeting them.

I think comments about her fitness level when they're phrased constructively and appropriately are fine. Like your comment. But making a comment about the changes in someone's face shape with a roll-eye emoticon? Seems like someone just wants to be nasty.

yuzushenko

On the Ice
I just read this from GG's soul cycle interview:

How has SoulCycle helped you become a better athlete?
I love the speed and intensity of a SOUL class — it’s a great workout. For me, it was hard to stay motivated running on the treadmill at a set speed for 20, 30, or 45 minutes. This has been my favorite way to get added cardio because it’s interesting and stimulating. It was difficult, but I wanted to do well at it — I wanted to do extra turns and push myself.
When you’re skating your program you don’t have someone over the loudspeaker keeping you motivated or saying that everything you put on the wheel is an opportunity for change. Those positive messages keep you going and we don’t have that while we’re skating a program. When I’m doing sprints there’s no Edward to encourage me. There was so much positivity in class and it felt like a judgment-free zone — and of course the workout was incredible.

wow sounds to me gracie would do great with a coach that yells more during practice to keep them motivated and says encouraging positive things. frank was never any of this and i can see why things didn't work out. i really hope marina is able to provide this for gracie (and alex if she works with him)

and that part about "judgement-free zone" i wonder if the environment at toyota was ever judgemental...

anyways, even though ppl are saying she looks bigger, she looks so much happier to me. i have had friends who have gone through super unhealthy life moments where they were under pressure to stay super thin by themselves or their parents or their bosses, and once they stopped letting that control their lives, they became happier. even if people thought "oh look so and so got big" they were finally happy. so i think it's really bad to assume that just because someone gained weight it means that their life is over and they shouldn't be happy. im so glad gracie has left that toxic environment. she looks to have made some good friends and seems to genuinely be having fun on a SOI tour for once. i hope this renewed spirit helps her in the competitive arena, too!

andromache

Record Breaker
anyways, even though ppl are saying she looks bigger, she looks so much happier to me. i have had friends who have gone through super unhealthy life moments where they were under pressure to stay super thin by themselves or their parents or their bosses, and once they stopped letting that control their lives, they became happier. even if people thought "oh look so and so got big" they were finally happy. so i think it's really bad to assume that just because someone gained weight it means that their life is over and they shouldn't be happy. im so glad gracie has left that toxic environment. she looks to have made some good friends and seems to genuinely be having fun on a SOI tour for once. i hope this renewed spirit helps her in the competitive arena, too!

Honestly, as a fan, her happiness is what matters most. If she doesn't make the Olympic team but she's still happy with herself and her life, that's fine by me, even though there will be a bunch of people calling her fat and lazy.

I wanna try SoulCycle but it's so darn expensive.