Double jumps? | Golden Skate

Double jumps?

papersoap

Spectator
Hello! This is my first post, so apologies if this is a bit wonky. :/

So to give a bit of history, I started skating when I was about 6 or 7 and went on until the end of 6th grade. I stopped because I felt like I wasn't progressing at all and even after a year of working on axels, I could never get it. Basically, I stopped for 2 years and 6 weeks ago I started back up again. I've been taking 30 minute group lessons once a week and practicing about 3 hours a week. I got my clean axel yesterday, but I was just wondering how long it would take me to get all of my double jumps. Is it possible for me to get to nationals before I turn 16 or 17? (I'm 13 now) And lastly, should I start taking private lessons?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I have to ask. At what level do you imagine getting to Nationals in? And in what country? Because honestly, if this is in a big country or even a medium-sized skating country, I don't think your goal is very realistic.

jf12

Final Flight
Congrats on getting your axel!

If you are in the US - it is not at all likely to make it to nationals at this point. To compete Juvenile you have to be under 14, and at Intermediate level you will need double axel and a few triples. 3-4 years isn't a long time to get these jumps, and that's already assuming you have already passed your Senior MIF and have level 4 spins. If you're in a small non skating country, it's possible to make it to nationals with only double-double combos.

It'll be hard to get all your doubles without private lessons, so if that's your goal, you should. After you get a clean axel, and if singles are good technique, a lot of people semi-get all their doubles up to lutz within a year. However, it often takes a lot longer than that to get them clean and consistent. This is totally a reachable goal by the time you are 16-17 if you work hard enough at it.

loopy

Final Flight
What are your test levels? I'm in the US and so that is the only info I have - in order to compete at Nationals, you need to have tested. You would need to be at the Intermediate Freeskate level since you are already too old for Juvenile at Nationals.

If you plan on being ready in 3 years for Intermediate, you need a private coach who can get you to Nationals and that is going to require daily skating on your end and lessons 3 - 4 times (or more) a week. Getting a clean axel is very different from competing with a clean axel. You really need a coach to let you know what realistic goals are for you, not strangers who have never seen you skate and I know I am no judge.

How far along on your tests were you before you quit? What do you think it takes to get to Nationals?

You might also want to read this thread: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?62596-So-you-want-to-be-a-figure-skater

Last edited:

figureskaterdude

Rinkside

So to give a bit of history, I started skating when I was about 6 or 7 and went on until the end of 6th grade. I stopped because I felt like I wasn't progressing at all and even after a year of working on axels, I could never get it. Basically, I stopped for 2 years and 6 weeks ago I started back up again. I've been taking 30 minute group lessons once a week and practicing about 3 hours a week. I got my clean axel yesterday, but I was just wondering how long it would take me to get all of my double jumps. Is it possible for me to get to nationals before I turn 16 or 17? (I'm 13 now) And lastly, should I start taking private lessons?

Thanks in advance!

Congrats on your axel! That is a big accomplishment that many skaters never reach.

Short answer to your question of if you can get to nationals in 4 years is..... Yes, its definitely possible.

The long answer is that to achieve this goal you will probably need to meet the following requirements. These are just general things that most national level skaters have or are able to do. You don't have to do all of these to reach your goals, but they will be a great help if you can.

1) 20+ hours of on ice time every week.

2) Access to a capable and proven coach who hopefully has at least 1-2 students who can do triple jumps with good technique. Bonus if
the coach has sectional/nationals experience with students.

3) Access to a good off ice strength training and off ice jump training routine. Preferably at least 3 times a week for an hour each day.

4) Good natural skating ability with a good work ethic and willingness to train hard.

5) Able to perform in competitions without freezing up to due nerves. (suprisingly important, I know many good skaters who can't seem
to perform in competitions even though I have seen perfect programs from them in practice time and again.)

6) Last, but not least, parents willing to spend the rather large sum of money needed to fully support figure skating as a full time sport
for a young skater.

If you can meet most or all of the above requirements, I feel like you could compete at nationals. It won't be easy, but if you really enjoy skating and enjoy the atmosphere of training and pushing yourself everyday, you could definitely do it.

Last edited:

loopy

Final Flight
In the US, he or she will need to be one of 4 skaters to get through regionals out of pools of 50-100+. And then to get through sectionals. This is someone who has no coach and is already 13. They started at 6 and skated until they were 11/12 and did not get to a single axel in 5 to 6 years. The single axel they landed clean was one jump and not under the watch of a private coach or part of a skating program. It sounds like they have not tested USFS at all. They are going to be competing against skaters who have been skating since the were young children who had private instructors for the very beginning, who live 2+ hours a day on the ice.

I am a firm believer of setting realistic goals that make sense. Goal 1 - find and hire a great coach. Goal 2 - take private skating lessons. Goal 3 - decide if you want to test and discuss a plan with your coach. Goal 4: compete in a local competition. You know, measureable, doable goals that take hard work and dedication. Dreaming of Nationals is fun and inspiring. Use the dream to push yourself to set goals. If you can do this you will learn valuable skills that you can use on and off the ice. If nationals happens, great! If it doesn't, great! In the end you will have learned a lot about yourself and the sport.

concorde

Medalist
This weekend my daughter competed at the Intermediate level. The very top girls there were doing one triple and about 10 girls could also do a double axel. This is at "summer" competitions, not even a Regionals.

I posted this just to give you a realistic idea of what you would need to accomplish just to be competitve at that level which is the lowest level you can compete to potentially reach Nationals.

Ender

Match Penalty

Thanks in advance!
With serious training and guidance, It is possible to get all double jumps except the 2A in 3-4 years. Whether you can go to National depends on the country where you live.

mikenzieskates

Spectator
Yes it's totally possible. I landed my first axel a year ago and now I'm almost landing my double axel so it's very possible. Private lessons have helped me so much but it is also finding the right coach

MasterB

Final Flight
Anything is POSSIBLE.....

Congrats on landing the axel. From personal experience I can tell you the doubles should come rapidly (1-year). Your next hurdle will be the double axel, so start practicing them on the floor.

So many variables
1. Are you male/female?
2. How many hours can you practice in a week?
3. How good is your eauipment?
4. How driven are you?
5. How much natural talent do you have?
6. Are you a competitor(many of us are not)?
7. etc., etc., etc.,

While having a goal is great it should not be the reason you skate. Before I even knew about competitions I just wanted to skate because of the way it made me feel. In any case just skate and see how far you can go.