Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Campbell's Predictions and Comments

Custom Title
    I have a feeling this will not be Michelle's event because she is a skater who builds momentum throughout the season.

As for her not performing well at the cheesefests. I do believe she takes these events easy because she would rather save her best for other events. Such as Nationals and Worlds. I also think she has already won her share of cheesefests over past years.

I think this will be Sasha's event as it is her first event of the season and she usually starts out on fire. Also she is only skating one program which may or may not contribute to her success at these events I do believe Shizuka could pull an upset afterall she is the reigning world champion and running high on momentum. However by no means is Michelle Kwan out of the race. She has kept a lower profile this Summer. I haven't seen photos of her attending movie premieres or Disney Theme Park openings. I don't know if she is taking courses or not at UCLA which usually takes time out of her summer training. I have a feeling if Kwan has spent the summer training training it may have a positive effect on her performances during the early season.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan228
    According to the USFS website, in a news item called, "New Rules Affecting U.S. Skaters," the first bullet point says:

That includes US Nationals.

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=25756&type=news
    True, but the next bullet point says "The new well-balanced program requirements adopted by the ISU will take effect on Sept. 1, 2004, for all senior and junior events in the United States."

Now I am really confused...

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    True, but the next bullet point says "The new well-balanced program requirements adopted by the ISU will take effect on Sept. 1, 2004, for all senior and junior events in the United States."

Now I am really confused...
    The judging system (6.0/OBO) will remain the same, but the ISU requirements for the programs will apply to events in the US. For example, if two combos are allowed, one with three jumps and one with two jumps for ISU events, but three combos are not, these will be the rules for events in the US. That's not all that much different than adding the "Zayak" rule into the USFSA rules after it's was added to the ISU rules.

Thanks, hockeyfan, this helps. I assume the new time limits will also apply? It would make sense, since otherwise skaters would need to do two programs -- for Nationals and for International events.

Custom Title
    In the USFSA the Campbells roster had been updated, Plush and Irina are out, and they have invited Julia Sebestyen, eventhough Carolina is still listed, I really doubt she will show up, according to her official page, she has just beggining practice aftre her injure two weeks ago and only for very short periods of time.

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    I assume the new time limits will also apply? It would make sense, since otherwise skaters would need to do two programs -- for Nationals and for International events.
    Yes, according to the USFS website,
    [t]he short program for singles and pairs (senior and junior) has been lengthened to a maximum of 2 minutes and 50 seconds. (Please note that programs that are shorter are perfectly acceptable.) The reason is to allow skaters to incorporate more interesting transitions between elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Ximena
    In the USFSA the Campbells roster had been updated, Plush and Irina are out, and they have invited Julia Sebestyen, eventhough Carolina is still listed, I really doubt she will show up, according to her official page, she has just beggining practice aftre her injure two weeks ago and only for very short periods of time.
    Thanks Ximena - With Carolina skating(?), it makes 8 ladies, and 6 men. Why don't they let Michael and Jeffrey skate?

Campbells had problems last year with Alexei and Irina. I wonder if the organizers get contracts signed before they make their announcements of participants. Oral oks are not enough.

I will miss Irina and Yevgeni and maybe Carolina, but I welcome Julia. Hope ABC shows all the skaters.

Joe

I think contracts like that (esentially personal services contracts) are pretty much impossible to enforce. What are you going to do if a skater pulls out anyway? I think the problem is more often on the side of the organizers. To build audience interest they announce all of the skaters that have been invited, then if there are last minute changes, too bad for the ticket holders.

Anyway, I'll be glad to see Elena Liashenko.

Mathman

Oops, I mean Julia Sebestyen
    Last edited by Mathman; 09-16-2004 at 05:25 AM.

On the Ice

Kimmie Meissner Added to Roster of Campbell's

(9/20/04) — 2004 U.S. junior champion and World Junior silver medalist Kimmie Meissner has been added to the list of ladies competing at the 2004 Campbell's International Figure Skating Classic at the St. Paul Xcel Energy Center on Oct. 1. Carolina Kostner, the 2004 World fifth-place finisher from Italy, has withdrawn. Meissner has accepted the opening and will compete at the Campbell's Classic.

The rest of the ladies field includes five-time World and eight-time U.S. champion Michelle Kwan (USA), current World silver medalist Sasha Cohen (USA), 2004 World champion Shizuka Arakawa (JPN), 2004 World fourth-place finisher Miki Ando (JPN), 2004 World sixth-place finisher Julia Sebestyen (HUN), 2004 U.S. bronze medalist Jennifer Kirk (USA) and 2004 U.S. fourth-place finisher Amber Corwin (USA). Cohen won gold at the 2003 Campbell's Classic in New York, while Kwan took the silver.
    --from US Figure Skating.org, see: usfsa.org

Banned
    Quote:
    I do not think MK will do well. She may not even make the podium. She is not giving her all at these 'other events'. There is ennui involved in the past 2 seasons with spurts of energy. I just don't get it.

The competition, imo will be either Cohen or Arakawa neither of whom grab me on presentation. An error by either one will decide the winner.

Jenny I think had her 15minutes last season. Amber is a dear but she is too outclassed here. Let's see Irina's skate. It's Miki Ando to upset the podium. Miki is the one I am most interested in seeing.

WHAT THE???? SHE'S PRACTICING MORE DIFICULT JUMPS NOW SO IF SHE KEEPS GETTING THE JUMPS CONSISTENT THEN SHE COULD WIN EVERY COMPETION SHE ENTERS. And by the way anyone want to see Michelle win another world title, I want to see her get more Carol Heiss Jenkins, with 4 which Michelle tied.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleWingKwan
    Quote: WHAT THE???? SHE'S PRACTICING MORE DIFICULT JUMPS NOW SO IF SHE KEEPS GETTING THE JUMPS CONSISTENT THEN SHE COULD WIN EVERY COMPETION SHE ENTERS. And by the way anyone want to see Michelle win another world title, I want to see her get more Carol Heiss Jenkins, with 4 which Michelle tied.
    I'm curious, has anyone seen her practicing more difficult jumps (she has them all except for a 3A)? I presume you means combos. Other than the 3Tx3T, are there any others, and if so, is she practicing seriously? I would love it if this is all true, and yes, she will win it all. if it is true.

Joe

Two more days!! I can't wait!! Michelle is going to rock!!!

I am going to try to stay "unspoiled" until they show it on TV next Sunday. This means I can't read Golden Skate for a week. Is anyone going to be posting live commentary via laptop from St. Paul. (Oh, that's right, I won't be reading it, LOL. Anyone want to gives odds about whether I can keep my New Season Resolution? )

Mathman
    Last edited by Mathman; 09-29-2004 at 05:11 PM.

Lots of times I try not to see what happened but I've never been able to stick it out.

Rinkside
    IMO
    Men: Brain Joubert
    Takeshi Honda
    Johnny Weir

Ladies: Sasha Cohen
    Shizuka Arakawa
    Michelle Kwan

On the Ice
    Ladies
    Shizuka Arakawa (Japan)
    Michelle Kwan (USA)