2017-2018 Grand Prix Selection | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Grand Prix Selection

mrrice

Record Breaker
Still no word from Gracie, neither a withdrawal nor confirmation that she would participate.

No, she and her team have been very quiet. I'm hoping that she's trying to stay under the radar while she's training.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
If 2 ladies withdrew from Skate Canada, is there time to invite substitutes?

There's still 2 weeks so I think Skate Canada is obligated to replace these spots.

Han Yan comes to Canada every summer to get choreography from Lori, he intended on flying over in June but his injury hindered him but I'd suppose he would've had a visa for that potential June visit. He was here last year (and what a pleasure it was to see him live!) so I'm assuming CSA would be very familiar with the process.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
If 2 ladies withdrew from Skate Canada, is there time to invite substitutes?

There's still 2 weeks so I think Skate Canada is obligated to replace these spots. ...

For ladies and men, the host fed is *not required* to replace (at any time) a GP skater who would be the 12th or 11th entry.

But if Skate Canada voluntarily wants to invite subs, I think there is sufficient time?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That is great but I did not know they could do that. I mean, in theory, Skate America could change their minds and choose M/C instead the Parsons? :confused:

I guess in theory, but in practice the Parsons were stronger in their Challenger. But anyways, I think a fed would want to avoid doing that too often, since it would suck for the skaters. Plus with M/C and Parsons, they gave M/C two Challengers and the Parsons one since M/C only had 1 GP and the Parsons had 2, so switching might mess up any of that planning.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I guess in theory, but in practice the Parsons were stronger in their Challenger. But anyways, I think a fed would want to avoid doing that too often, since it would suck for the skaters. Plus with M/C and Parsons, they gave M/C two Challengers and the Parsons one since M/C only had 1 GP and the Parsons had 2, so switching might mess up any of that planning.

Technically, the Parsons still have a good shot at a second Challenger. The U.S. is likely to send a team to Tallinn & to Golden Spin, as happened last season. The Parsons were never likely to go to Finlandia since they are assigned to Rostelecom. And there is the Warsaw Cup as well. All three Challengers are listed as possible events on the USFS Assignments page. It's possible all three of the other top non-medaling dance teams could get a second Challenger (H&B, the Parsons, P&B), though some Challengers overlap different teams' GP events. Both P&B and H&B received second Challenger events last season.

Because SA is so late this season, both the Parsons and M&C will have a GP score to compare before we get to SA, but I don't think USFSA would be likely to change their minds after assigning athletes to an event unless there was an injury or a reason the athlete could not compete. I can't think of any track record for USFS doing so. It's not too surprising that Russia made this decision, however. Different track records. Different decision making processes for different Federations. And it is, of course, always possible Evdokimova & Bazin have been pulled due to injury. They were supposed to go to Nepela & were taken off the list; however, that was before the Russian Test Skates, where E&B skated. My guess is it's just a straightforward swap of putting in the team with every indication of earning better results. P&M deserve to be there. I'm glad they will be, though I would have preferred the originally planned head-to-head at Nepela first.

Andrea82

Medalist
As for the men, I believe we have:

27 Kvitelashvili GEO - assigned to France (VISA?)
29 Kerry AUS - assigned to Skate Canada
31 Yan CHN - China host pick (VISA? Starting later because of injury also)
33 Majorov SWE - assigned to China
35 Dolensky USA
36 Fentz GER
37 Balde CAN (already 3 Canadians)
40 Messing CAN - Canada host pick
42 Dmitriev RUS
43 Sadovsky CAN (already 3 Canadians)

Kerry, Balde, Messing and Sadovsky aren't options to replace Chafik.

Fentz is entered at the Minsk Challenger Series event taking place on the same days as Skate Canada. Given all other contenders for German Olympic spot in Men will skate in Minsk, I guess he would prefer Minsk and turn Skate Canada down if offered.

euroskate

Final Flight
We have had three withdrawals from the ladies event. Rodeghiero (Skate Canada), Nahyun Kim (Skate Canada) and Soyoun Park (Rostelecom)

what happened to Rodeghiero?? I was already wondering why she did not skate at Bergamo lombardia trophy

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
And it is, of course, always possible Evdokimova & Bazin have been pulled due to injury.
yep she's injured:sad21:

super duper happy for PM tho!:thumbsup:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Uh...are the rostelecom cup people purposely picking skaters they know have no chance of medaling?

I wouldn't be surprised, as it's the RusFed. They probably also realize that it's a tough event, with Mirai, Mariah, Wakaba, and Carolina already posing threats to their own ladies, not to mention the plethora of skaters that could be dark horses. They don't want to make it harder on their skaters. Is it right? Maybe not... But is it logical? Yes, to an extent.

Atashi

Rinkside
Uh...are the rostelecom cup people purposely picking skaters they know have no chance of medaling?
She is training in Moscow, so they dont need to pay a ticket. And they are notoriously cheap. Plus russian public all know her and like her.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yeah, on the one hand she would have been at the bottom of the replacement list, but on the other hand she's in Moscow so it's convenient. Plus, I'm just glad they did add someone, since they didn't have to.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Awesome! So thrilled for Courtney. I hope she makes the most of the opportunity! It will be interesting to see how she compares to Karen and Ashley.