How should it be recitifed? | Golden Skate

How should it be recitifed?

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
If you watched the men's marathon, you know that the leader towards the end of the race (had 45 s lead on pack), was tackled during the race by a spectator. It cost him the lead and he was injured during the attack. He managed to finish the race, but came third. The IOC awarded him a "Pierre de Coubertin Sportsmanship Award". Do you think that's enough? Just right? What should be done? Unfortunately, you can't say he defnitely would have won had the attack not occured but you also can't say he wouldn't have. I read that the attacker-a defrocked Irish priest who has done this before, and was drunk-was jailed and recieved a 'slap on the wrist'.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I think that the powers that be did the right thing on this one, given the circumstances. It's hard to know, with 3 or 4 miles yet to go, whether or not he would have won anyway (look how Deena Kastor came up strong in the last miles of the women's marathon); and this is the ONE RACE in the Olympics that you cannot possibly re-run!! :D

The bigger issue I think is this trend of whacked out people in stupid outfits crashing sporting events. One of these days someone IS going to get attacked; somewhere out there there's probably a psychopath seeing how easy it is for these people to do that and getting some ideas of their own. I think these people need to be given extensive house arrests until they're ready to act civilized in public.

They should lock that guy up for good. He was also wandering around the track of a big speed car event while it was in progress!!! The guy is sick. :mad:

The Brazilian was special and should get more that the Sportsman award. The Olympic Committee should give him a week's stay on Mykonos all expenses paid. :)

Joe

mpal2

Final Flight
He really was great. Loved his airplane ride to the finish line. :) If anyone deserves standing ovations and the special awareds it's him.

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I was rooting for him all the way, but I have a feeling that the Italian and the American would have over-taken him anyway. He was a class act and as far as I know, didn't complain about his bronze medal or try to get anything changed.....42

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I applaud his great attitude. It would have been very easy to get angry in a situation like this, but he was so gracious and had the right attitude. He certainly had every right to whine and make a big fuss, but he didn't (take a note, Khorkina). He will be remembered for that...possibly even more so then if he had narrowly won a gold or silver medal. I think everything was done that could be in this situation. And, as far as I know the "Pierre de Coubertin Sportsmanship Award" is quite special and rare.

Vash01

Medalist
Khorkina is not the only whiner among athletes, so no need to single her out, while praising Lima. He was wonderful. His smile was so broad when he approached the finish line that one would have thought he had won the gold medal. He went beyond the medal, and hopefully he will become the inspiration to future generations. Athletes like him have become very rare these days.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Vash01 said:
Khorkina is not the only whiner among athletes, so no need to single her out, while praising Lima. He was wonderful. His smile was so broad when he approached the finish line that one would have thought he had won the gold medal. He went beyond the medal, and hopefully he will become the inspiration to future generations. Athletes like him have become very rare these days.

ITA. His federation filed a protest, but he insisted that they retract their protest, because as he said, he is elated with the bronze.

BronzeisGolden said:
He will be remembered for that...possibly even more so then if he had narrowly won a gold or silver medal. I think everything was done that could be in this situation. And, as far as I know the "Pierre de Coubertin Sportsmanship Award" is quite special and rare.
I agree completely. This athlete will be remembered by everyone who saw the race long after everyone has forgotten who won a gold medal.

Mathman