Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Chinese Dancer did 3 Turns on a Camel Spin

The Chinese Dancer did 3 Turns on a Camel Spin

That was incredible and he had no bobble and he made all thos rotations. Has anyone else seen it?

I've seen many dancers, particularly, modern dancers doing what would be a camel but they hardly get around for one rotation.

Joe

Go NJ Devils
    Thanks for the heads up -- I didn't see it the first time, but I'll go back to the tape.

The opening and closing ceremonies in 2008 are going to be amazing. When you think that fireworks and the Beijing Opera are just the start...

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    That was incredible and he had no bobble and he made all thos rotations. Has anyone else seen it?
    Oh I know, I was like
    ! I was looking down for a minute, so wasn't prepared for a spin, but I glanced up just in time to see him to the camels and I was like "Hey!".

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    I thought the entire "Beijing Presentation" portion of the Closing Ceremony was absolutely a visual stunner and gave notice that the Chinese are going to put on probably the most memorable Opening Ceremony in Olympic history.

I, too, was impressed by the camel spin of the dancer, as well as his very nice scratch spin! I'm wondering if this might be part of the same Chinese acrobatic troupe that toured the US in the early 70s shortly after Nixon went over there. I was very young at the time, but I still remember seeing them on TV and being absolutely enthralled by what they were able to do. Kudos also to the two who did those incredible "circular somersault" maneuvers at such an incredible rate of speed.

In the void
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyCoop
    I'm wondering if this might be part of the same Chinese acrobatic troupe that toured the US in the early 70s shortly after Nixon went over there.
    We all know that it's hard to trust commentators... but anyway, ours said, those dancers were from the Chinese opera in Beijing.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Quote Originally Posted by tdnuva
    We all know that it's hard to trust commentators... but anyway, ours said, those dancers were from the Chinese opera in Beijing.
    At least yours were informative. Ours were pretty much just babbling after a while and I stopped listening.....

http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc
    At least yours were informative. Ours were pretty much just babbling after a while and I stopped listening.....

Oh yes. I couldn't stand Mary Carillo after a while. That guy should give the Chinese skaters a lesson on spinning.

Joe-
    I saw it and couldn't believe my eyes Wow. Maybe that's a good way to practice my camel spin :D

Custom Title
    I thought the entire "Beijing Presentation" portion of the Closing Ceremony was absolutely a visual stunner and gave notice that the Chinese are going to put on probably the most memorable Opening Ceremony in Olympic history.
    Hey, it just going to show how different perspective could be from different world. I just read from a chinese disscussion board, the 8 min of "Beijing Presentation" was critisized as the 'Cultural Garbedge' and 'Shame', etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dlkksk8fan
    Joe-
    I saw it and couldn't believe my eyes Wow. Maybe that's a good way to practice my camel spin :D
    dlkk - Yes, it does help. I used to do them in sneakers when I was a kid. It helped in the skating but in dance, I couldn't rely on them.

Joe

Custom Title
    mzheng,

Did they give any specific reasons on why the thought it was garbage?

Custom Title
    Yes, the Chinese presentation was amazing! I'm sure the 2008 Olympics are going to be extrodinary... The Chinese culture is one of my fav...costumes, music, landscapes, art, etc... I was afraid for that tiny little girl on the huge red lanter.. I dont think she had anything to hold onto...She was a brave one...Peace..

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mpal2
    mzheng,

Did they give any specific reasons on why the thought it was garbage?
    Yes, they do. And I kind of agree with them. The person direct the show is the one directed several movies had been shown internationally. IMO non of them truly reflected what the really life was back in China. With over 2000 years cultral history, seems this show just chose to show some of the craps. And the little girl sing the Jasmine song looked like being abducted.

Thanks for those comments, MZheng. I had that impression, too. Those leggy showgirls looked more like a 1970s Robert Palmer redux than a tribute to the 3000 years of unique Chinese culture.

Mathman

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Thanks for those comments, MZheng. I had that impression, too. Those leggy showgirls looked more like a 1970s Robert Palmer redux than a tribute to the 3000 years of unique Chinese culture.

Mathman
    I hope we get the real thing in 2008. One of my favorite performances of all time was when the Beijing Opera (then called "Peking Opera") performed in Boston in the late 1970's. Even that was watered down for Western audiences, in that there was a higher ratio of dancing to singing, but if you've ever seen From Mao to Mozart or The Turandot Project, the short excerpts in both show how vivid and powerful and telegenic the dancing is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast