Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Chinese Dancer did 3 Turns on a Camel Spin

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Those leggy showgirls looked more like a 1970s Robert Palmer redux than a tribute to the 3000 years of unique Chinese culture.

Mathman
    Funny, Mathman, you mentioned that.

They said these leggy showgirls looked like the prostituters from some of famouse ***** house some 60/70 years ago in PeiJing. And some of those group dances looked like from a funeral ritual.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Quote Originally Posted by mzheng

They said these leggy showgirls looked like the prostituters from some of famouse ***** house some 60/70 years ago in PeiJing.
    Y'know, I was actually kind of thinking the same thing, but didn't want to actually post it because it might be misconstrued. Actually, for me, it also had kind of a "Gilbert & Sullivan on Acid" thing going as well. But the rest of the presentation was marvelous, though I can understand it not sitting too well with the Chinese; I suppose it's a variation on nations having certain "tourist stuff" that is actually a stereotypical view of the culture, but they keep doing it because the tourists want to see it. Still, from a purely visual perspective, it was quite spectacular.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyCoop
    Y'know, I was actually kind of thinking the same thing, but didn't want to actually post it because it might be misconstrued. .
    He, same here. That's why I only posted it when mathman had mentioned it.

Ice Angel
    I feel the Chinese did a great job to present their country. The group of young ladies are lovely, not sexy, they can sing, play instruments, and also can dance. That's amazing talent. Most artists can do two things on the stage the most. Some comment that they look like prostitutes are rude and offensive. The girls are just beautiful.
    The guy dance has amazing jumping and spin ability. He is a younger version of Jet Li. Camel spin is one of the hardest spins for many elite skaters. This dance can do it beautifully on the floor.
    Last edited by jesslily; 09-05-2004 at 12:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Custom Woman
    Ironic that the Chinese acrobats have such great spins, especially the camel, but that the Chinese figure skaters' weakest point is their spinning, especially their camels.

Can the Chinese acrobat and figure skating coaches get together and see if they can find some ways to transfer the extraordinary spinning skill of the acrobats to the figure skaters. I know it's a whole different thing doing it on the floor versus on the ice, but you'd think it the acrobats and acrobat coaches worked with the skaters and skating coaches they'd find some way to improve the skating camel spins.

And yeah, I was like "wOw" watching that guy do the triple camel spin. I did a good 1 & 1/2 dance camel once about 25 years ago (much different position--hips open and back arched) and wanted to give myself a medal! I settled for a chocolate frosted devil's food donut.
    Rgirl

MZheng, I think you posted the wrong link. All of these go to the posting at the MK Forum about the calendar pictures.

Which, BTW, are ---- OOOOOOO-EEEEEEE!!!!!!

http://www.figureskatingcalendar.ca/...over_front.jpg

Mathman

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    MZheng, I think you posted the wrong link. All of these go to the posting at the MK Forum about the calendar pictures.

Which, BTW, are ---- OOOOOOO-EEEEEEE!!!!!!

http://www.figureskatingcalendar.ca/...over_front.jpg

Mathman
    Sorry. Mathman, it was late last night. With all these years of computer experinces I still dumb at cut paste. lol.

I'll try another time. you have to see those pictures. Just stunning.

Rinkside
    jesslily, I agree with you.

I live in China (Beijing) and here, the comments on the "floor camel" and the Chinese presentation were of awe, excitment and pride, from both foreigners AND Chinese. These women did a fabulous job of representing their country, and showed amazing skills.

The newspapers (both English and Chinese) all reported positively.

There are mainly DIFFERENT ways of reflecting China's EXTREMELY DIVERSE cultures and long history, this performance reflected China's history, traditions and what it is still to come - I am glad it was unique.

Am looking forward to 2008!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2