Skates for an adult beginner? | Golden Skate

Skates for an adult beginner?

NapoleonSissy

Spectator
Hi,
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I couldn't figure out where to ask. I'm turning 23 in a few months and I just recently picked up ice skating (about 3 months ago). I've never skated before, so I just bought some skates (Tempish Chic Plus, a Czech brand that costs like 40 Euro) and I go to public skating sessions about 2-3 times a week for 2 hours. I'm not too athletic, so it took me some time to get confident on the ice (getting a coach here is beyond impossible at my time disponibility and age) so I'm just getting started on my forward crossovers and backwards skating.
So I'm also graduating university in a few weeks and my mom said she would buy me better skates as a graduation present. So I've been looking to get something of a better quality, since I'm planning to keep skating aftter the summer break and so on. I'm not on a exactly tight budget and the beginner skates don't cost THAT much.
After some research of what is available here, I've got a few candidates:
  • Edea Overture
  • Risport RF Light
  • Jackson Classique
  • Edea Preludio
Now, from what I've gathered, important thing is stiffnes and width. I don't have particulary slim feet (but not too fat either I think?), so I think that maybe rules out Risport, as I've heard that they are quite narrow. I really like how Jacksons look and how high they seem to reach on the leg, however the Classique model comes with Ultima Mirage blade mounted and the toe pick just seems so intimidating (even so because my hockey-playing stepdad had my lowest tooth on toe pick sharpened flat - it's not there, so I'll have to adjust to having it) !! So I've turned my attention to Edeas, as they suppossedly fit anybody with 'standard' feet and they come separatedly, so I could have them mounted with the Mark IV blade that I think is the best option for me.
Important thing to mention is that I am an adult, about 169cm and I am neither fat nor slim, but I weigh around 62-65 kg so I think I'm on a heavy side of skaters? I am not planning on going competitive, I would just really like to learn to skate very well and maybe a few tricks that don't involve jumping (I think my absolute future limit would be single jumps) so I gather I don't need particularly stiff boots, however, like I mentioned I consider myself somewhat heavy so I think the mid range stiffnes like Overture would be fine for me? The other option is the Preludio model, which is written as 'soft version' (I think the stiffnes is 35 while Overture has 48) and they're both designed for 'Amateur and Basic skills up to single jumps' for Preludio and 'Single Jumps/Axels' for Overture. While I heard about 'overbooting', I am not sure if Preludio are stiff enough for someone of my built and age? Risport RF Light and Jackson Classique are suppossedly the same category as the Overtures.
Does anybody have a tip or experience that could help? Or even the blade? I've got to choose between MK Club 2000, Ultima Mark IV or Ultima Mirage, but I'm leaning towards the Mark IV.
The last point is that I don't really have an opportunity to get fitted or try them on, the only shop that I found that would allow me to try the boot sells only Risport, so either way I'll probably end up buying them online.
Thank you so much for your imput and help!!

Last edited:

jf12

Final Flight
Whatever brand you decide to go with, I would go a little on the stiffer side of the ones you mentioned and get the ones rated for single jumps, since that's your goal, and you want them to be able to last you a while.

I wouldn't rule out Risports at all without trying them on. Given that you said you can try on Risports, you should at least go in and try them. If they really don't work for you, think about ordering online, but if you do that, don't just get your shoe size, measure your feet and make sure to try to get a good fit.

As far as blades go, most of those will probably be fine, its a matter of personal preference. But don't let your stepdad anywhere near those! Good luck!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Hi -

There are a lot of posts here with similar questions. Read through them. They won't tell you what boot is right for you, but you will find other helpful information.

I would suggest that if at all possible, you buy your skates from a shop with a good fitter, even if you have to travel. Fit is crucial, and it will be hard for you to get a good fit online. Try talking to people at your rink - a coach, a more advanced skater (or his/her parents), or the rink's skating director - to find out where to go. I would also try to find out if there are beginner classes you can take, even if it means you're in a class with kids.

By the way, I started as an adult beginner in the Mirage blade, and the toe pick isn't aggressive at all. You just need to learn proper balance and stroking to stay off them.

Sam L

Medalist
I got Jackson Freestyles. And I absolutely love them. They are recommended for single jumps and I can tell you they are stiff and you will have the support you need. It comes with the Aspire blade which is a better blade apparently. So maybe just weigh that up as an option.

mikaela

Spectator
I have the Edea Overture with the Mark IV blades and I really love them! I'm working on starting my single jumps and they've held out pretty well for me. You mentioned this exact combo so feel free to PM me if you need more details about them!

sk8momto1

Rinkside
Whatever brand you decide to go with, I would go a little on the stiffer side of the ones you mentioned and get the ones rated for single jumps, since that's your goal, and you want them to be able to last you a while.

I wouldn't rule out Risports at all without trying them on. Given that you said you can try on Risports, you should at least go in and try them. If they really don't work for you, think about ordering online, but if you do that, don't just get your shoe size, measure your feet and make sure to try to get a good fit.

As far as blades go, most of those will probably be fine, its a matter of personal preference. But don't let your stepdad anywhere near those! Good luck!

I was going to say the same things! I would go try on the Risports. You may find you like them and it is definitely preferable to buy skates that you've tried on rather than guessing at size, fit and feel online.

And whatever blade you get will be an adjustment because you're not used to that toe pick but it probably won't be as bad as you think. Every time my daughter has upgrades to a blade with bigger picks she is intimated but it's generally not a big issue.

NapoleonSissy

Spectator
Wow, thank you all for your advice! I actually went ahead and contacted the Edea company themselves and they said that
We confirm that Preludio boot is suitable for adult but there are only few pairs left since is out of production and Overture could be the best choice for your purpose.
. AND the Czech Edea dealer said practically the same thing, that the stiffer boot is better for adults. I will definitely go try the Risports, but I'm also thinking about contacting the distributor of Edea whether it's possible to try the boot - think it should be, I would have to bring them the Mark IV blade anyway as they said they would mount it for me, but do not sell it. Maybe I'll send a few emails around if there would be an option to try Jacksons as well (I really like how classy they look)! Anyway, I have university finals in 2 weeks, so I will start working on it after I get my degree :D But I'll definitely let you know what I find out and what I choose!

As for the class, I'd love to, but I'm not sure how I'm going to fit it in my schedule (uni + work) and into my budget (the classes are ridiculously expensive here), so we'll see how much work the masters will require and what's my schedule and financial situation gonna look like. Anyway, I'll look into that in due time.

stevenlee

Rinkside
Not sure if helpful, but I enjoy babbling.

I got American Athletic to tide me over until I can afford a nicer pair. They're not great, but they'll definitely get me through basics. I've really got my eye on the Jackson Ultima Mystique when I have the extra cash, because that seems to be an extremely reliable yet crazy affordable brand.

Just be sure to get guards and soakers too!

Once again - to tide me over, I got some Guard Dog guards, if your inner child as as easily entertained as mine, I recommend the Chameleons but definitely going to get some Rockerz when I upgrade to better skates.

For soakers, I haven't really received a lot of feedback from other friends who skate, but I found a store on eBay that sells microfiber blade guards with a matching towel to wipe off your blades when you're done on the ice. There are also a lot of DIY tutorials for making your own if you have the time and/or feel like doing so.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Not sure if helpful, but I enjoy babbling.

For soakers, I haven't really received a lot of feedback from other friends who skate, but I found a store on eBay that sells microfiber blade guards with a matching towel to wipe off your blades when you're done on the ice. There are also a lot of DIY tutorials for making your own if you have the time and/or feel like doing so.

Regarding soakers: There are several brands and they are all decent and they range in price from about 10 dollars US to 28 dollars US (depending where you shop for them).
The most widely used for years are the A&R and TuffTerrys brands. There are also Walkabouts that have a tough strip on the bottom of them in case you must walk in them. (I still don't suggest ever walking in soakers, esp a distance). And then for the whimsical there are ChloeNoel animal soakers (which are kind of fun).

Guards: Guard Dogs are perfectly fine and many skaters wear those and they are the least expensive choice (usually around 11-12 dollars US) for a 2 piece good guard. Then there are Rockerz which are more expensive. I've worn both and actually prefer GuardDogs because you can put them on different blade models if you change, which I have. I did have the Rockerz when I wore my P99 Rev blades and thought the guards were great, but when I switched back to classic P99 blade model, I couldn't wear the Rockerz on those because they are cut for the blade model you specify when ordering. So that's the downside.

Good luck!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gotta get the animal soakers!! I’ve had elephants, doggies, and Teddy Bears! They are a little expensive but super fun IMO.

Right now I’m using hockey skates 99.9 percent of the time anyway so I just use an old hockey sock and stuff the rest of the sock in the boot. No shame to my game.

Life Hack: Most of the rinks I go to have tons of leftover guards in the lost in found. Sometimes a nice rink staffer will let you know which ones have been there forever and might even let you have a set. You never know until you ask. ;)

Never store your skates in hard guards with even a tiny amount of moisture on them!! It can cause little square patches of rust to form from on your steel from the leftover moisture that gets into the guards little grooves and makes its way to your blade. A rusted blade should be avoided at all costs.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Gotta get the animal soakers!! I’ve had elephants, doggies, and Teddy Bears! They are a little expensive but super fun IMO.

Right now I’m using hockey skates 99.9 percent of the time anyway so I just use an old hockey sock and stuff the rest of the sock in the boot. No shame to my game.

Life Hack: Most of the rinks I go to have tons of leftover guards in the lost in found. Sometimes a nice rink staffer will let you know which ones have been there forever and might even let you have a set. You never know until you ask. ;)

Never store your skates in hard guards with even a tiny amount of moisture on them!! It can cause little square patches of rust to form from on your steel from the leftover moisture that gets into the guards little grooves and makes its way to your blade. A rusted blade should be avoided at all costs.

:rofl2: I've had the bunnies, and now the unicorns. ;) My next set will be tigers if I can find them.

Mussique

On the Ice
You can also make your own soakers! It's easy, fun and cheap! :p
I made mine extra-fluffy and covered with geometric-ish cloth. Kind of hipsters but cool enough :laugh: Everyone always asks where did I buy them :)