Naomi Lang has a baby girl | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Naomi Lang has a baby girl

It can be confusing to an indexer if the Spanish use the father's name followed by the mother's; and the British use the mother's name followed by the father[s.

Now with languages who do not use the European script (think Russian, Greek, etc) and other continents, the spelling of names vary very much. for those languages the national script is more important than a Europeanized phonetic version.

Joe

lulu

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Then let's call her Lilia Besedin Lang or maybe Lilia Lang Besdedin. If the couple do not get married, I think the kid should have both last names. JMO.

Joe

I have no problem how people name their kids.
If they give them the father's last name
Or if they give them the mother's last name
Or, perhaps a hyphenated version; or something completely different.

But since Naomi & Vladimir NAMED their daughter Lillia Besedin-shouldn't we call her by her actual name? ;)

Of course, if her name was Lilia Lang Besedin-I would be all for calling her that; but it isn't.

I think the kid might like the double barrel as he/she gets older. Jjust to know there is a mother and father.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
As to names to nobility. Sometimes, a last name was an indication of heritage and inheritance. For example, suppose Mr. & Mrs. RichAndNoble do not have a male heir, only a daughter Mary. Now, suppose that Mary has children of her own. Mr. RichAndNoble can insist that one of Mary's sons gets the last name RichAndNoble and thus becomes the heir and inheritor of the RichAndNoble fortune.

Another note about Russians having children in Mexico. As opposed to the US, the parents do not decide what their baby's last name is going to be, it MUST be father's and mother's names. Now, I have a cousin living in Mexico whose wife has a Russian last name (let's say Ivanova). As many of you know, in Russia, the male version is "Ivanov", and the female version is "Ivanova". However, even if my cousin and his wife had a son, they would have had to give him the last name "Ivanova". Luckily, they had a daughter!

IDLERACER said:
I've often wondered what the deal is with Mary Tyler Moore. To the best of my knowledge, she's not British, but perhaps this explains it.
I really must have nothing to do, if I'm spending my time looking up facts about Mary Tyler Moore. Oh, well.

No she's not British. She was born in Brooklyn in 1936. Her first TV role was Happy Hotpoint, the dancing washer-dryer. Her father's name was George Tyler Moore. Maybe Tyler was some kind of family name that they wanted to preserve (?) Mary, the oldest, was the only one to get this middle name. She has a younger brother, John Hackett Moore, and a younger sister Elizabeth no-middle-name Moore.

Mathman

I think she threw in the 'Tyler' because Eqjity doesn't allow two actors having the same name. Think Terry Moore of that ape picture and Howard Hughes.
just a thought -
Joe

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
Mary Tyler Moor sounds a lot classier than Mary Moore.

And she sure didn't want anyone to confuse her with that OTHER Moore woman. :D :eek: ;) :p :laugh: :D :eek: ;) :laugh: :p

JOHIO2

Medalist
Michael J. Fox wasn't the only actor who needed to slightly alter his name. Richard Dean Anderson (he of soap opera, McGyver and SG1 fame) needed to make his name unique as there was already a Richard Anderson, a rather famous one, at about the time RDA began his career. Gee, wasn't that the guy who hung around the Six Million Dollar Man? Hmmmm.....maybe the name is fated to belong to a sci-fi tv show after all!