Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brian Joubert music choice

Custom Title

Brian Joubert music choice

According to german "Pirouette" FS magazine :

SP - "BMG"(Blue Men Group)
    LP - "1492"

Any thoughts?

I think the Blue Man Group will be the 'cadence type' music as was the tick tock time machine. Not much reason to flow with that music. It is strictly staccato. I didn't see 1492 and I don't remember the music from elsewhere. Anyone know if the music can get the viewer into an emotion?

Joe

Custom Title
    I have to say I'm not familiar with "BMG". Can anyone tell me if it was used by any other skater or what songs do they have?

Nevermind, I just listened to some bits... very interesting music! I like it! I think it actually suits him, now it remains to be seen what he can do with it.
    Last edited by RIskatingfan; 08-31-2004 at 04:27 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    1492 was used by Todd Eldredge when he won the bronze at Worlds in the 2000-2001 season. Elvis also used it (I think in 95-96). I think of the music as vintage Todd - soundtrack building to dramatic conclusion. I like it for skating, but Todd did a great job of landing all the jumps on the right beats. It will be interesting to see what Brian does with it.

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardenkitty
    1492 was used by Todd Eldredge when he won the bronze at Worlds in the 2000-2001 season. Elvis also used it (I think in 95-96). I think of the music as vintage Todd - soundtrack building to dramatic conclusion. I like it for skating, but Todd did a great job of landing all the jumps on the right beats. It will be interesting to see what Brian does with it.
    Watching and listening to Joubert's Matrix last year, I think he was not only on the beat of the music, but also on the pulse of it. I don't remember a performance where he didn't hold his phrases or use speed changes to interpret the music. He should do well with 1492. I wish the music were more interesting, and not another in a series of soundtracks.

Medalist
    Anita Hartshorn and Frank Sweiding also skated to the 1492 soundtrack which was composed by Vangelis. They had a more literal interpretaion of the movie with Anita representing the ships and Frank the navigator. The most memorable parts of the program were the first lift and when Anita uses a prop as a sail.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    I think the Blue Man Group will be the 'cadence type' music as was the tick tock time machine. Not much reason to flow with that music. It is strictly staccato. I didn't see 1492 and I don't remember the music from elsewhere. Anyone know if the music can get the viewer into an emotion?

Joe

Joe,

Soiko used 1492 during the 95/96 season IIRC. I believe Eldredge used it at one point as well. It's the soundtrack for the Christopher Columbus movie that didn't do so well in the 90's but I love the music.

Edited: Oops, didn't see the other reply. Sorry for the duplicate.

Custom Title

Music

You are correct

When I was in Connecticut I saw him practice 1492 and it looked just like something Yagudin would do. When I asked him about the short he stated that it was BMG. His mother wanted this to be a surprise. Ah well....

Custom Title
    Wow, "1492" is certainly an interesting choice. I will always see that as Elvis's music. And yes...the movie was beyond horrible, but the music was actually one of the film's only saving graces. I think he'll do a great job with it.

Skating Freak Barbie
    The Blades on Ice website also mentions some other skater's music choices. I think Brian will do a great job with his music.

Kasey

Custom Title
    The music of "1492" is really nice, but I´m still waiting to see a male singles skater to do a worthy interpretation of it. The music has such a great flow and would really suit skaters with charisma and a true inside feeling towards a music... Actually I could imagine e.g. Candeloro doing a great job of it (thinking of his D´Artagnan). Oh, and Paul Wylie of course...

Maybe Joubert will surprise positively, I have though seen him as a rather wooden skater so far (but good-looking, LOL). His SP musics seems to be a repeat of last year´s style?

Marjaana
    Last edited by Jaana; 09-02-2004 at 07:33 AM.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    1492 will always be Elvis's music - the way the music builds suited Elvis's powerful skating style. I think Joubert will skate well to it, he is a powerful jumper.

Procrastinating b/c of Worlds
    In the 8th Circle of Hell with Jamie Salé.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater
    1492 will always be Elvis's music - the way the music builds suited Elvis's powerful skating style. I think Joubert will skate well to it, he is a powerful jumper.
    lol, I always think of Chat and Sakhnovsky's 2000 FD when I think of 1492. Probably because it's my favorite C&S program. TT choreo'd that and I'm sure (or should I say hope) she won't dissapoint with Joubert's.

TV

I remember Hartshorn & Sweiding's interpretation of 1492 which I really enjoyed. I loved Elvis' brilliant performance of 1492 during 1996 Worlds (especially after what happened during his short program ), although I thought the music cuts were kind of jarring. When Todd decided to skate to it, I went nuts (especially over his performance of it at 2001 Worlds) This is a movie I have no intention of seeing, but do I adore the whole soundtrack!

That said, I will be very interested in seeing what Brian does with it. "1492" is powerful music, to be sure. I have no idea about his SP music, but I certainly wish him well this season.
    Last edited by iluvtodd; 09-02-2004 at 07:46 AM.

Tripping on the Podium
    I'm a bit disappointed he's using 1492 since it's been used quite a lot (didn't meno and Sand use ot as well??) , but i'm sure he can live up to Todd and Elvis. I'm scared this is going to be totally cheesy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast