Brian Joubert music choice | Golden Skate

Brian Joubert music choice

Koshka

On the Ice
According to german "Pirouette" FS magazine :

SP - "BMG"(Blue Men Group)
LP - "1492"

Any thoughts?

I think the Blue Man Group will be the 'cadence type' music as was the tick tock time machine. Not much reason to flow with that music. It is strictly staccato. I didn't see 1492 and I don't remember the music from elsewhere. Anyone know if the music can get the viewer into an emotion?

Joe

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
I have to say I'm not familiar with "BMG". Can anyone tell me if it was used by any other skater or what songs do they have?

Nevermind, I just listened to some bits... very interesting music! I like it! I think it actually suits him, now it remains to be seen what he can do with it.

Last edited:

Gardenkitty

Rinkside
1492 was used by Todd Eldredge when he won the bronze at Worlds in the 2000-2001 season. Elvis also used it (I think in 95-96). I think of the music as vintage Todd - soundtrack building to dramatic conclusion. I like it for skating, but Todd did a great job of landing all the jumps on the right beats. It will be interesting to see what Brian does with it.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Gardenkitty said:
1492 was used by Todd Eldredge when he won the bronze at Worlds in the 2000-2001 season. Elvis also used it (I think in 95-96). I think of the music as vintage Todd - soundtrack building to dramatic conclusion. I like it for skating, but Todd did a great job of landing all the jumps on the right beats. It will be interesting to see what Brian does with it.
Watching and listening to Joubert's Matrix last year, I think he was not only on the beat of the music, but also on the pulse of it. I don't remember a performance where he didn't hold his phrases or use speed changes to interpret the music. He should do well with 1492. I wish the music were more interesting, and not another in a series of soundtracks.

Gipson

Rinkside
Anita Hartshorn and Frank Sweiding also skated to the 1492 soundtrack which was composed by Vangelis. They had a more literal interpretaion of the movie with Anita representing the ships and Frank the navigator. The most memorable parts of the program were the first lift and when Anita uses a prop as a sail.

mpal2

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
I think the Blue Man Group will be the 'cadence type' music as was the tick tock time machine. Not much reason to flow with that music. It is strictly staccato. I didn't see 1492 and I don't remember the music from elsewhere. Anyone know if the music can get the viewer into an emotion?

Joe

Joe,

Soiko used 1492 during the 95/96 season IIRC. I believe Eldredge used it at one point as well. It's the soundtrack for the Christopher Columbus movie that didn't do so well in the 90's but I love the music.

Edited: Oops, didn't see the other reply. Sorry for the duplicate.

MasterB

Final Flight
Music

You are correct

When I was in Connecticut I saw him practice 1492 and it looked just like something Yagudin would do. When I asked him about the short he stated that it was BMG. His mother wanted this to be a surprise. Ah well....

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Wow, "1492" is certainly an interesting choice. I will always see that as Elvis's music. And yes...the movie was beyond horrible, but the music was actually one of the film's only saving graces. I think he'll do a great job with it.

Kasey

Medalist
The Blades on Ice website also mentions some other skater's music choices. I think Brian will do a great job with his music.

Kasey

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
The music of "1492" is really nice, but I´m still waiting to see a male singles skater to do a worthy interpretation of it. The music has such a great flow and would really suit skaters with charisma and a true inside feeling towards a music... Actually I could imagine e.g. Candeloro doing a great job of it (thinking of his D´Artagnan). Oh, and Paul Wylie of course...

Maybe Joubert will surprise positively, I have though seen him as a rather wooden skater so far (but good-looking, LOL). His SP musics seems to be a repeat of last year´s style?

Marjaana

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
1492 will always be Elvis's music - the way the music builds suited Elvis's powerful skating style. I think Joubert will skate well to it, he is a powerful jumper.

thvudragon

On the Ice
Ladskater said:
1492 will always be Elvis's music - the way the music builds suited Elvis's powerful skating style. I think Joubert will skate well to it, he is a powerful jumper.
lol, I always think of Chat and Sakhnovsky's 2000 FD when I think of 1492. Probably because it's my favorite C&S program. TT choreo'd that and I'm sure (or should I say hope) she won't dissapoint with Joubert's.

TV

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I remember Hartshorn & Sweiding's interpretation of 1492 which I really enjoyed. I loved Elvis' brilliant performance of 1492 during 1996 Worlds (especially after what happened during his short program :cry: ), although I thought the music cuts were kind of jarring. When Todd decided to skate to it, I went nuts (especially over his performance of it at 2001 Worlds) :love: This is a movie I have no intention of seeing, but do I adore the whole soundtrack!

That said, I will be very interested in seeing what Brian does with it. "1492" is powerful music, to be sure. I have no idea about his SP music, but I certainly wish him well this season.

Last edited:

millyskate

Rinkside
I'm a bit disappointed he's using 1492 since it's been used quite a lot (didn't meno and Sand use ot as well??) , but i'm sure he can live up to Todd and Elvis. I'm scared this is going to be totally cheesy.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
thvudragon said:
lol, I always think of Chat and Sakhnovsky's 2000 FD when I think of 1492. Probably because it's my favorite C&S program. TT choreo'd that and I'm sure (or should I say hope) she won't dissapoint with Joubert's.

TV

I remember that version. I personally think it was their best work, as well.

I wonder what a ladies' skater can do with 1492, since practically every discipline but ladies has used it.