Favourite Warhorse Interpretation | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Favourite Warhorse Interpretation

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well in that case then....
Riverdance: Bourne/Kraatz (End of Discussion)

I have a very difficult time thinking of Riverdance as a warhorse. But I'd be willing to bet that 40 years from now, Bourne & Kraatz won't be the Riverdance remembered with "end of discussion". But I can discuss that in a non-warhorse thread.:biggrin:

And @4everchan, I am nothing if not generous;)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have a very difficult time thinking of Riverdance as a warhorse. But I'd be willing to bet that 40 years from now, Bourne & Kraatz won't be the Riverdance remembered with "end of discussion". But I can discuss that in a non-warhorse thread.:biggrin:

And @4everchan, I am nothing if not generous;)

Actually, it's become a warhorse with multiple skaters doing it over the years since B/K. But they're the ones that those of us who remember amazing skating will think of with the piece. YMMV. I mean, it definitely won't be Rika Hongo or someone similar.;):laugh:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Actually, it's become a warhorse with multiple skaters doing it over the years since B/K. But they're the ones that those of us who remember amazing skating will think of with the piece. YMMV. I mean, it definitely won't be Rika Hongo or someone similar.;):laugh:

Since I remember Janet Lynn, Toller Cranston, and the others I mentioned, I think I remember some pretty amazing skaters.

And those who of us who remember skaters like that will remember another amazing skater, Jason Brown, and his Riverdance. Can't say that I will remember the others.

YMMV.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
the way i see this is that for some skaters, not only they had a great interpretation of a warhorse but the music remains known as "their greatest"

that's why IMHO B n K "own" riverdance... already, I feel like Jason has skated a better program for himself with his most recent LP (despite the too many high kicks) and i think he may be remembered more for that program than his riverdance... ymmv

let me give you an example...

valse triste : i love virtue and moir's interpretation and though it was stellar, i don't think it surpasses their carmen or mahler 5....

however rahkamo kokko... WOW... they own valse triste... have fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk2LqLNPelc

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
True classic artistry from my idol and legend in his own right with a warhorse (I actually prefer other programs of his but this was the only warhorse he's skated at least that's on YouTube at this point).

Robin Cousins "Music of the Night from POTO" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_xwhkc_A1E

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
No Carmen has ever come close to Bestemianova/Bukin's 1985 Free Dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iju_RarH3rk

It is the perfect Carmen, and I'm not even a fan of this team as I felt they robbed Klimova/Ponomarenko nearly the entire 1985-1988 Olympic cycle.

As for Ladies singles, Fumie Suguri has my favorite Carmen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX21Vo5LTKE
I liked Katarina Witt's portrayal on her Carmen on Ice special, but not that Olympic program. I actually sort of hate Witt's 1988 Olympic Carmen as a skating program, and I truly disliked her make-up and costume for it as well.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Well in that case then....
Riverdance: Bourne/Kraatz (End of Discussion)

Certainly, not for me because I haven't felt that they meshed well with the tricky Irish dance into their routine. I've highly regarded their effort for the adventure in figure skating, but their tapping moves looked too awkward and crammed, so there is a little room for them to dance together on the ice. No wonder though, Irish dance requires straight lines with little usages of arms and upper body.

On the other hand, choreography-wise, I think Rika Hongo's Riverdance is the best program, but she didn't live up to its full potential that the choreographer, Kenji Miyamoto intended in my opinion. I've wondered what Akiko Suzuki (who has mentored Rika) who knows how instinctively to dance would do the program instead. Jason Brown's break-through Riverdance is also not my cup of tea as it doesn't have sufficient Irish dance moves in my point of view although the overall package such as music, outfit is pretty good. However, I think the program is overrated though. Firedance is one of the Riverdance musical, but it is not Irish per se, but Satoko Miyahara sold it very well with the well choreographed program.

No intention to disregard your opinion as you do have your preference so do I, but saying "End of Discussion" to the open discussion triggered me to respond to your post. ;)

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Carmen: V/M
Turandot : Shizuka
Swan Lake: Daisuke
Rachmaninov c.2: Mao
R&J: Yuzuru
POTO: I hate it
Sherezade: I hate it
Les miserables: I hate it

Your post makes me intrigued because I remember you said V/M's Carmen contains unnecessary descriptions in the program especially regarding their straight line lift, so it was not unfairly underscored by the judges back than who always would rather prefer traditional Carmens. Despite that, you became liking the program over all Carmen interpretations by other skaters? I'm just curious.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I liked Katarina Witt's portrayal on her Carmen on Ice special, but not that Olympic program. I actually sort of hate Witt's 1988 Olympic Carmen as a skating program, and I truly disliked her make-up and costume for it as well.

Thank God! I was thinking the Witt Carmen program was probably my least fav. OGM of all time. I remember the CTV commentaries afterwards with a long awkward pause saying..."umm, well...she wanted to do a good job...". It just never really came together for her and was def. overshadowed by Liz's 5 triple program, versus Kat's 2 jumps, which were then repeated (no lutz, no loop). Her Carmen was more style than substance combined with the mastery of a 2 triples program.

Give me Kaetlyn Osmond's version and her wonderful 1st international win at Nebelhorn anytime, versus Witt and Jutta Mueller's antics.

Weathergal

Medalist
Patrick Chan is the warhorse king and the queen is Sasha Cohen

patrick was ;) he graduated from warhorses now ;) now he is just the king LOL

I think Patrick has definitely graduated, and his recent programs show that (I thought him skating to Eric Radford's composition was really cool).

I think Sasha Cohen is a great choice for "warhorse queen" LOL. For warhorse king, I'd say Evan Lysacek. :drama:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Certainly, not for me because I haven't felt that they meshed well with the tricky Irish dance into their routine. I've highly regarded their effort for the adventure in figure skating, but their tapping moves looked too awkward and crammed, so there is a little room for them to dance together on the ice. No wonder though, Irish dance requires straight lines with little usages of arms and upper body.

On the other hand, choreography-wise, I think Rika Hongo's Riverdance is the best program, but she didn't live up to its full potential that the choreographer, Kenji Miyamoto intended in my opinion. I've wondered what Akiko Suzuki (who has mentored Rika) who knows how instinctively to dance would do the program instead. Jason Brown's break-through Riverdance is also not my cup of tea as it doesn't have sufficient Irish dance moves in my point of view although the overall package such as music, outfit is pretty good. However, I think the program is overrated though. Firedance is one of the Riverdance musical, but it is not Irish per se, but Satoko Miyahara sold it very well with the well choreographed program.

No intention to disregard your opinion as you do have your preference so do I, but saying "End of Discussion" to the open discussion triggered me to respond to your post. ;)

:rolleye: YMMV.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I think Sasha Cohen is a great choice for "warhorse queen" LOL. For warhorse king, I'd say Evan Lysacek. :drama:

I agree that Sasha is entitled to a warhorse queen because she sold her such pieces pretty well. However, while Evan did a lot of warhorse pieces, I think his programs didn't stand out well or beat all other versions except his Carmen at Turin. I've considered his Scheherazade and Firebird quite bizarre in terms of interpretation and overall packages. I can't think he ever ascended the throne of warhorse. :biggrin:

sarama

Medalist
A few warhorses that I really enjoyed were: Suzuki's POTO (despite the fact that I hate POTO with all my heart), Gubanova's R&J and Virtue/Moir's Umbrellas of Cherbourg (not a major warhorse, but pretty common anyway)

Barb

Record Breaker
Your post makes me intrigued because I remember you said V/M's Carmen contains unnecessary descriptions in the program especially regarding their straight line lift, so it was not unfairly underscored by the judges back than who always would rather prefer traditional Carmens. Despite that, you became liking the program over all Carmen interpretations by other skaters? I'm just curious.

I said that? :scratch2:. I remember that I did not like the first time, but it was mainly because the costumes :laugh:, after of watch the video 2 or 3 times I fell in love with the program. I do not remember having problems with lifts or unnecessary descriptions :confused:. But that was a long time ago, so I can not be completely sure :unsure:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States