Well, it's not a surprise that Michelle Kwan has remained in the eligible ranks and is preparing her programs for the 2004-2005 season. Given that the 2006 Winter Olympics are less than two years away, it stands to reason that Kwan is gearing up for yet another run at the elusive Olympic gold medal.
If she competes at the 2006 Olympics, will she win? I think she will, IF:
(1) She skates her heart at at both short and long programs.
(2) She doesn't make any silly mistakes, such as skating past the end of the music, as she did at this year's Worlds.
(3) She upts the ante, technically, and lands at least one triple/triple combo in the long program. A triple toe/triple toe is a relatively easy 3/3 combo, but a clean 3/3 combo would make a strong technical statement for her.
(4) She stays healthy and injury-free.
(5) She really, really, really (!!!) wants the gold medal and goes for it.
(6) She keeps her focus, skates in tunnel vision mode, and shuts all all distractions, including the media, etc.
(7) She doesn't count on winning by benefiting from the mistakes of other skaters. Just go for it!
Personally, I think Michelle is going to win the gold in 2006. I hope she does.
Good luck, Michelle!