There's alot of people out there losing weight | Golden Skate

There's alot of people out there losing weight

Johar

Medalist
Kate Winslet, never heavy to begin with imo, is down to 130 pounds. Catharine Mannheim of The Practice has lost alot of weight. My own cousin is down to a size 10. She was a size 16 last summer. Her mom has lost about 30 pounds. Both of them go to Curves.

A former high school classmate who used to be overweight has recently lost alot of weight through exercise. I didn't recognize her with her slimmed down figure and longer hair.

I'm starting to feel bad about my chunky body. And I walk everywhere since I don't have a car.

When should someone see a doctor if they have been exercising and eating sensibly but have barely lost any weight?

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi Johar!

I'm a "loser" myself and also have a close cousin who has been overweight her whole life who is completely transformed. My cousin has been eating low carb and going to Curves. I lost my weight by eating low carb and do best when I'm exercising (ala Body for Life, which is relatively short in time but long on intensity).

I do best maintaining my "loser" status by sticking to whole, real foods. Mostly a very wide variety of meats / seafoods and more veggies than I've ever consumed in my life. I can only speak from my personal experience, but would be happy to answer questions about what I've learned and done if you have any.

DG

Johar

Medalist
It's weird--my brother, dad and sister are very thin but I'm overweight. My mom was until she hurt her knees and feet, making her unable to do weight bearing activities.

Somebody suggested I got a "weight gene" from a sister to my grandma who was quite overweight in the 1930s, when few people were overweight.

My sister had no hips when she was alive and I have unusually big hips.

Damn genes! :mad:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
LOL on those genes...

Hi Johar. I have a "mixed bag" of genes in my family too. I was thin as a bean pole growing up, as was my youngest brother. My middle brother has battled weight much longer. My Dad is a bean pole but my Mom fights the Battle of the Butt.

I have done a lot of research just for myself on the whole issue of weight. I ended up low carbing because I came to believe my system has limited ability to process highly carb laden foods. It's worked for me. It's worked for others I know. Yes, it's really hard to give up sweets and salty snacks. Salty snacks especially call my name the loudest LOL!

There are TONS of good veggie recipes out there that help me not miss my baked potato at all. I'm happy to share if you are interested!

Best Wishes,
DG

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
There you are Doggygirl.........good to have you back. I have a magnet on my fridge that says...."I keep trying to lose weight but it keeps finding me"......that's the story of my life. I am into "weight training" and enjoy that more than aerobics........42

My husband recently started a nearly-zero-sugar and low-carb diet, along with plain old eating less of everything, drinking more water and he's trying to increase his activity outside of his somewhat physical job. He's down about 30 lbs. As a side affect, I'm down about 10 lbs. Hubby had to go on the diet because his cholesterol and sugar counts were too high.
As for seeing a doctor about weight loss....I'd just say if you're concerned or frustrated enough, go ahead and consult an MD.
I just heard on tv today that because of the lifestyles of today's families and the way kids eat so much fast food and sit in front of computers and tv's, that for the first time in many, many years, today's kids have a lesser life expectancy than those in past years. Mainly because of obesity which is causing other problems such as heart disease and diabetes at younger ages.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Yup, there are a lot of people losing weight, and I'm not one of them. :cry: I just found out my nephew is getting married in April and there is NO WAY I want to show up 30 lbs. overweight. I don't want my husband's entire family, many of whom have never even met me, to see or meet me looking so plump. I'm already depressed about it. I can easily lose 10 lbs. (pick a diet--I've done it) but I always put it back on and then some. I realize that I simply lack the discipline and self control to go the distance, and I am truly depressed about it. I don't crave sweets at all or salt--just bread & pasta. I feel like it's totally hopeless at this point. Sigh. :( :eek:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Johar:

"The battle of the bulge" is no fun for anyone. I am the weight I should be for my height, but always feel fat. The ideal weight for me is 105 lbs and I am always striving to attain it. Of course, now that I am "over the hill" unless I get a trainer to whip me into shape, that is not going to happen! I mostly need to tone up and get back into some regular exercize.

It's always good to get a check up before going on any weight loss plan or exercize program. Not a bad idea to consult your Dr. Avoid fad diets as well. The best diet or eating plan to follow is the diabetic diet. It's is balanced and nutrionally sound. It's better to lose weight slowly. Then the weight stays off.

All the best.

Johar

Medalist
I guess what I'm feeling is that at family gatherings I will be the only one overweight since my cousin and her mom have dropped alot. Now it's just me. My weight is all in my abdomen. Thighs and butt are ok, but need alot of toning.

And while I hear how alot of Americans are packing on the weight, many of them are also losing it and keeping it off.

Also, my friend from home and her daughter have lost alot of weight, too. They also go to curves.

This weight in my abdomen looks weird, like I am pregnant or very bloated. Even when I was underweight in college I had a bloated-looking abdomen! :eek:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Johar, that sounds like something that exercsie oor even liposuction could really help with. If it was a problem area when you were underweight weight loss is not going to help. Li[posuction is aimed at those areas that don't budge with weight loss or exercise. Good luck1

Suzy

On the Ice
Ladskater said:
Johar:

"The battle of the bulge" is no fun for anyone. I am the weight I should be for my height, but always feel fat. The ideal weight for me is 105 lbs and I am always striving to attain it. Of course, now that I am "over the hill" unless I get a trainer to whip me into shape, that is not going to happen! I mostly need to tone up and get back into some regular exercize.

Just out of curiosity, how tall are you Ladskater?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Suzy said:
Just out of curiosity, how tall are you Ladskater?

I am 5" 1" and short waisted. So really have to watch those pounds or I can look like a little "five by five" as my mom calls it.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Today 24 but that is ONLY bcause it is the end of summer. By New Years it always goes up some thanks to pasta, rice, and bread (OK and butter)and it will be back to the Zone :mad: . Lad I'm short waisted too but with long legs. Every extra pound seems to go right to the area betwee hips and waist. :eek: :eek: :eek:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I have been very good at adding 2 to 3 lbs per year, and at my age it really adds up. My husband had even worse problems as his medications were putting on 2 lbs. a month. Since he is a diabetic, his choices of acceptable diets are very restricted. Looking the current crazes over, and seeing that the South Beach Diet says explicitly in the book that it is not suitable for diabetics, we crossed our fingers and tried Atkins (which whether you know it or not, you personalize to suit you. You definitely need to read the book before you start, and you should get your cholesterol and so forth blood work done beforehand.)

We hoped it would work, because our oldest son lost 90 lbs on it and has been able to really keep it off. There is no doubt that there are genetic factors in weight loss and gain, so we hoped.

We went on the diet at Easter and are still on it. My husband has lost about 50 lbs, and I have lost 2 sizes (I don't weigh..I have found it to be too counterproductive) His cholesterol is better than when he started: 140 with the bad cholesterol being 38; which in his case means that his medications are still controlling it. His blood sugar is in total control, and he has been able to cut his diabetes medications.

Exercise and drinking water definitely, definitely help.

If you are going to do low carb, be sure to take your vitamins and calcium, because when you cut out a large block of things you can eat, you should make an attempt to fill in the blanks.

And be sure to get your blood tests done to determine whether the diet is adversely affecting you.

In our case, we found that the weight first came off our faces, then legs and upper torsos, only then did the stomach fat start to come off visibly. Not the order one would desire.

In general, we both felt as good or better than we did when not on the diet. Hunger is not a problem on this diet, which is very very important to staying on any program. My hair, skin, and fingernails are all in much better shape.

I too have a bunch of recipes now and would like to share with others. This kind of diet is not cheap and the cooking is a lot of work.

Read all the food product labels. You will be surprised and shocked at how many products have added sugar, corn syrup, high density fructose. Even if this diet does not work for you, it is a huge education.

It may not work for you. But then again, it might.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
curves

My mother joined curves a year and a half ago and it was made a HUGE difference not only in her weight, but I see it in her attitude. She feels better about herself. And she says it makes her feel better too (as in her energy level)

I'm going to try it myself once I get a higher cash flow going. I've gained about 30 pounds in the last year and a half. At 5'10", I know I'm never going to weigh 115 pounds, but 165 is toooo much for me. I weigh more than my skinny bean pole boyfriend, thats so not cool. :eek: I'd be happy with 150. Anyways, I need to start eating better! I'm such a bad eater!

Good luck to everyone with their weight loss goals.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
LOL Doris!

You were braver than I to put it right out there that you're an Atkin's Girl. Me too. I'm glad to hear that you and your husband have not only seen good results on the weight front, but particularly for your husband on the Diabetes front.

My Dad was diagnosed with Type II D about 10 months ago. Being plugged into the Low Carb crowd, an excellent book was recommended to me. Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. He's actually a Type I Diabetic and has long outlived the typical life expectancy. While Type I and II start due to different reasons, they symptoms and problems and dietary issues are largely similar, and Dr. B became an MD specifically so he could formally treat both types. He too advocates a low carb approach very similar to Atkins, Protein Power, etc.

I just found that book interesting for me and for Dad because it so specifically addresses issues that Diabetics face. Just wanted to share that!

Like any lifestyle change, eating low carb 100% of the time is LOTS more challenging than eating any old thing at any old time. But to me anyway, it's worth it. And I'm really hoping to dodge the Diabetes bullet down the road by eating better NOW and not waiting until I have all the health issues that Dad is experiencing.

Best wishes to all you LOSERS out there!

DG