Old Dogs, Old Tricks???? | Golden Skate

Old Dogs, Old Tricks????

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
This one is for everyone who used to compete (or be seriously involved) in something in youger days, that you didn't touch for years. And then LOL, touched again. All for good fun!

As a kid I was a serious national level competitor in Baton Twirling. As we discuss often with skaters, I was one who got sick of the drill, and couldn't wait to "quit" once I was old enough to exert my independence at age 17.

Fast forward - I am now 46. My mother saves EVERYTHING in her basement, and last Christmas presented me with several old batons, old issues of Drum Major Magazine, and some really beat up and rusty trophies.

This summer we've been hosting dog training at our home, and a couple of the young girls *found* those old batons in a closet they were NOT supposed to be into. So, we headed out to the driveway. It's actually been amazing to me to learn what I'm NOT used to anymore (my most difficult "trick" as a kid was called a 5-spin back then - throw it up there, turn 5 times, then catch it). One spin made me completely dizzy at first.

But muscle memory really is amazing. The one spin came back pretty fast. I'm also doing 1.5 spins - one direction with a catch behind the head and the other direction with a catch behind the back. I learned this stuff SO young that it's hard for me to teach the young girls how to do it.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced *smiles* later in life picking something up that you dropped as a teen.

Can't wait for the upcoming FS Season!!

DG

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Hi DG,

So THAT'S where you've been, we have missed you! It's good to hear that you are having fun enjoying your dogs and your batons, LOL. My "smile" experience was at age 42. I was a Girl Scout from second through tenth grade when I, along with my friends, decided we were too cool to continue. Besides, there were no BOYS in G.S.'s :D . My niece, who was in first grade at the time, brought home a note eight years ago that she and some other girls wanted to be Brownies but there were no leaders. I called the number on the note to offer to "help out" if they found a leader and was invited to attend a meeting at the local Council the next week. Let me tell you the Mafia :eek: has nothing on G.S. when it comes to recruiting and "encouraging" volunteers to stay on! So, I left the meeting a leader. I have ran a 50 bed pediatric unit in a large hospital but it was not nearly as intimidating as looking in the face of those six little girls and their moms at my first meeting. I kept thinking "at any minute they are going to discover I have no idea what I am doing and run me out of town". Eight years later I still love it (and have still not been found out) :D :laugh: :D !

This June my Mother and her Corgi came to live with me and I am thoroughly enjoying being owned by the Corgi. In Le Cafe I have shared my experience in the "Corgi Soccer" thread.

So glad you're back!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks for the welcome back Piel!

That's a great story about the Brownie troop you helped to start. Isn't it amazing what we can ACTUALLY do that we may not THINK we can do in the beginning. Your *secret* is safe with me!

Being owned by dogs is great LOL. I will look for the other thread with more Corgi news! Our GSD puppy has had a great summer. She won her age group at 3 regional shows in the US, and also won her age group at the Canadian Nationals. The USA Nationals will be MUCH more competitive, so all we're hoping for there is maybe a top 10 placement. Traveling to Canada was truly an experience in how the dogs really do own us!

That is so GREAT that you are still running the troops. I'm trying to get involved in Big Brothers Big Sisters - going through the screening process and waiting for a kid that wants a Big Sis like me. They also have some programs through the schools, so now that schools are getting back in session I've gotta check that out too.

DG

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
"Mafia has nothing on G S"
You too? I had 16 girls and they did find a co-leader who did nothing and eventually quit. I think I had that troop for 2 years and would never do it again. As much as I love those little girls, it was not a good experience for me. My Brownie was the oldest of my 3 children. I have nothing good to say about the leader training experience.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I think one of the big problems with G.S.'s is that it is almost totally volunteer run. Our Council which includes almost all of WV, and a few counties in Ohio, Virginia, and Kentucky has only around 50 employees. I know with Boy Scouts there are more paid employees because they have WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better funding. Grgranny I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience. I was unhappy with the events available for my girls and went to Council to complain. When I found out that events are put on by volunteers with a little help from paid staff I became an event planner and it is like a dream job, IMO. Lot's of hard work but I love being able to come up with ideas and see them come to reality.