Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Michelle skating to Bolero - good or bad choice?

Here's some more info on the Tarantella. This site is great for anyone intetrested in the histories of various dances.

http://www.streetswing.com/histmain/z3tartla.htm

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    The Lion King was never a real possiblity:

http://board.usfigureskating.org/def...ead=6007&fid=3

Master Procrastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa

Wow, that poster needs some serious help! She/He/It gets my vote for the best troll ever.
    Last edited by Lucy25; 09-02-2004 at 06:19 PM.

Custom Title
    Why does anyone assume that Dean wouldn't work with her again because she ditched Rush? It's business, not personal. And besides, she didn't ditch Rush because of Dean's work. She ditched it because the style of MUSIC wasn't well received by the judges. If this rumor is true, we're talking about a classical piece. Totally different circumstances IMHO.

As for TLK - even though the whole thing was bogus, I still think it's a good idea! There are some really great skateable parts to it. Maybe Michelle will consider it in the future.

Tripping on the Podium
    I heard Brenda is actually a poster at the biggest mk site, how ugly to trick us that way, that is not nice.

Master Procrastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by fanforlady2001
    I heard Brenda is actually a poster at the biggest mk site, how ugly to trick us that way, that is not nice.
    And you heard that from where? I read at the USFSA site that a poster guesses it probably was a MK fan trying to divert attention from her real music. It was specualtion based on what happened three years ago. I have read nothing else suggesting that this was a MK fan site poster. I think this is a horrible rumor to spread!
    Last edited by Lucy25; 09-02-2004 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy25
    Wow, that poster needs some serious help! She/He/It gets my vote for the best troll ever.
    or worst depending on your perspective...LOL

Extinction is Forever 4dogknight's Avatar
    Joe: The Spanish Bolero is 6/8 time while the Cuban Bolero is 2/4 time. It is interesting to note that the Fandango and the Spanish Bolero are traditionally danced by a man and a woman or by several couples. I think that's right too because of the passion aroused by the music.

I found The Beguine at one site listed under Trots & Related Dances and at another site described as "originated in French West Indies, similar to the Rhumba". Neither definition appeals to me as a solo performance.

4dk

Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa

Well, that gave me a chuckle. VietTerrific, you seem to be in the know in these things. Lion King is out, but is the Bolero rumor legit?

Mathman

No doubt a lot of thought was given to the type and cut of music that she will eventually use. Let's not count her out because it's "Bolero".........42

Thanks Piel and 4DK - I could spend all my time reading about those dances. got to get hold of myself.

Joe

Great American Ballpark Watching the Reds
    Well, I am going to reserve judgement until I actually hear something concrete AND see it on TV. I don't hold any rumours to much truth these days so I think waiting til after the first competition of the season is a good plan. At least, for me its a good plan! And count me in with the group forming that will be happy with whatever music she's chosen so long as the program is interesting with stellar choreography. Come on season!! :D

Custom Title
    Gosh, doesn't Disney own the Lion King? Doesn't Michelle own Disney?
    LOL....no Mathman, not until she wins so convincingly in Turino that the judges decide to give her 3 podium spots instead of just the top one! Silly! :D

Custom Title
    I'll believe it when I see it. It should be interesting if it is indeed Christopher Dean doing the choreography. It is hard for me to see any other skater besides Torvill and Dean using the music. But I will say it has been over twenty years already since Torvil and Dean first used the music.

I will say as if now this is still only a rumor. I would not be surprised if it is indeed false that Michelle started it herself in order to keep her real program a surprise.

In conclusion While I am not crazy about Michelle using the music if any skater is capable of coming close to a version as memorable as Torvill and Dean's it is Michelle. If the program proves not to be a masterpiece. It will not detract from the many other programs she has in the past that are. Finally while it is a crucial year being the season before the Olympics. I would rather see her save her best for next season if she decides to pursue the Olympics.
    Last edited by Eeyora; 09-03-2004 at 01:33 AM.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Bolero will always be Torville and Dean's signature piece. One only has to hear the opening beats of the music and that lovely vision comes to mind. I am not sure if this is a great choice for Michelle. For one thing the music is one steady beat that builds. It was well suited for ice dance at least the treatment Torville and Dean gave the music.

From the comments here, it seems to be pure speculation. I think we better wait until the jury is out on this one. The skating season has not even started!

We should always remember that sensitiveness and emotion constitute the real content of a work of art.
    Ravel on music.
    Last edited by Ladskater; 09-03-2004 at 12:24 AM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast