Michelle skating to Bolero - good or bad choice? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Michelle skating to Bolero - good or bad choice?

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Well, I am going to reserve judgement until I actually hear something concrete AND see it on TV. I don't hold any rumours to much truth these days so I think waiting til after the first competition of the season is a good plan. At least, for me its a good plan! And count me in with the group forming that will be happy with whatever music she's chosen so long as the program is interesting with stellar choreography. Come on season!! :love: :D :p :)

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Gosh, doesn't Disney own the Lion King? Doesn't Michelle own Disney?

LOL....no Mathman, not until she wins so convincingly in Turino that the judges decide to give her 3 podium spots instead of just the top one! Silly! :D

Eeyora

Final Flight
I'll believe it when I see it. It should be interesting if it is indeed Christopher Dean doing the choreography. It is hard for me to see any other skater besides Torvill and Dean using the music. But I will say it has been over twenty years already since Torvil and Dean first used the music.

I will say as if now this is still only a rumor. I would not be surprised if it is indeed false that Michelle started it herself in order to keep her real program a surprise.

In conclusion While I am not crazy about Michelle using the music if any skater is capable of coming close to a version as memorable as Torvill and Dean's it is Michelle. If the program proves not to be a masterpiece. It will not detract from the many other programs she has in the past that are. Finally while it is a crucial year being the season before the Olympics. I would rather see her save her best for next season if she decides to pursue the Olympics.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Bolero will always be Torville and Dean's signature piece. One only has to hear the opening beats of the music and that lovely vision comes to mind. I am not sure if this is a great choice for Michelle. For one thing the music is one steady beat that builds. It was well suited for ice dance at least the treatment Torville and Dean gave the music.

From the comments here, it seems to be pure speculation. I think we better wait until the jury is out on this one. The skating season has not even started!

We should always remember that sensitiveness and emotion constitute the real content of a work of art.
Ravel on music.

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
Skate Sandee said:
Why does anyone assume that Dean wouldn't work with her again because she ditched Rush? It's business, not personal. And besides, she didn't ditch Rush because of Dean's work. She ditched it because the style of MUSIC wasn't well received by the judges. If this rumor is true, we're talking about a classical piece. Totally different circumstances IMHO.

As for TLK - even though the whole thing was bogus, I still think it's a good idea! There are some really great skateable parts to it. Maybe Michelle will consider it in the future. :laugh:

Wow that girl is weird but anyway I don't get the Chris thing. I thought I read somewhere that Chris said that he understood why Michelle had to change her short. The judges didn't get Rush and that's the only reason. I personally think Michelle liked skating to Rush so why would Chris be mad.

MKbeauty

Rinkside
re: Bolero

You're right, Lavender. As a matter of fact, the Dean interview you are thinking of was right here on Goldenskate.
http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2003/071703.shtml

From his comments, it seems he has a great respect for Michelle. And if he really did choreograph Bolero for her, I think that speaks volumes. I really can't wait to see it. She skates with so much passion, I really think she can do an amazing job with this music.

I know T&D's program is a classic but it's been 20 years since they skated it, and many skaters have used the music since then. Swan Lake is a signature piece for Oksana, but that doesn't stop a bunch of skaters from using it every year. And I don't think I will ever be able to hear Turadot again without thinking of S&Z but it remains a popular choice for skaters.

We'll see in a few weeks.

P.S. to Tony W. - do you know for sure if Dean choreographed her LP? If so, did he also choreograph her short?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I don't see the problem with music that is a signature piece for skaters in one discipline being used in a different discipline. It seems that the interpretation of music by ice dancers would be different than the interpretation by a singles or pairs skater. It is actually possible that someday skaters will top the performances of past skaters. IMO it is rather silly to claim a piece of music off limits just because it was used successfullyin the past or to hold it against a skater for reusing it. I see it as a compliment to the previous skaters.

Gipson

Rinkside
Bolero is one of my favorite pieces of music and I first heard it when Torvill and Dean skated to it so I'm glad that skaters still use Bolero so that others might get a chance to hear it for the first time.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
WOW this thread is getting me all excited about the upcoming season!!

If anyone could pull off a Bolero comparable to T&D, I think Michelle could. LOL, then that piece would definitely have to be retired!

I'm no music OR dance expert, but I second those who have said they fell in love with the piece when T&D danced to it, and have never forgotten those performances or the music after 20 years. I can still see their starting positions and their costumes, etc. in my head.

If Michelle has / does choose to take on that piece, here's what I like about it. If memory serves me right, Bolero just constantly builds from the start. Like climbing a huge mountain with no valleys in between. When Michelle is "on" and skating her best, my impression is that she emotionally builds just like that. No valleys - just climbing higher and higher throughout a program. So maybe my memory of the piece is flawed, but somehow I think I can see this. If the rumors are true, I'm looking forward to Michelle's interpretation! And how cool would THAT be if Dean works it with her. We can dream, right??

DG

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I should add...

I love many skaters beyond just Michelle. But she is certainly a legend. I bet she could make MY best music sound good with her skating - and my only "masterpiece" is Chopsticks on the piano. :)

DG

Jennifer Lyon

On the Ice
I don't think MK's "Bolero" could possibly top T&D's and for that reason I don't think she should skate to it. I also think Sasha Cohen should pick something more original than "the Nutcracker".

Fossi

Final Flight
fanforlady2001 said:
I heard Brenda is actually a poster at the biggest mk site, how ugly to trick us that way, that is not nice.

At first I thought Brenda was a coach, some are known to post, so I sent a PM to poeple I know on that board for more info. I was told she was just a troll trying to create problems. They said it is a well known troll that was banned from MKF. ( I think Michelle's official site?) I have no idea because I don't follow her forum. I just wanted to know if it was the coach I thought it was.
At least she didn't succeed and I think everyone was on to her from teh get go.

I don't know what to think of Michelle's programs. She isn't my favorite, but I like to watch her skate. I just hope it's not like Tosca.

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
As for a skater "owning" a piece of music, I disagree. I didn't think anyone could skate to "Afternoon of the Faun" but Janet Lynn, but Yuka skated to it several seasons ago and it was lovely.......42

Well, I have just been listening to Bolero over and over, and I have to confess: I am having a failure of the imagination. I just cannot see a singles program to this music. Yes, it slowly builds throughout and it demonstrates the differences in timbre among various groupings of instuments. But there is no moment where it says "jump!," no place for fast footwork, or anything else in particular.

When Sasha Abt used the music last year, it seemed merely to sap his spirit and drag him down (Dick Button commented on that).

Some of you who have experience with choreography, can you enlighten me about how this music might be used in a ladies' singles competitive program? Where would you place the show-off elements (spins and spirals, etc.)

Mathman

OK, forget what I wrote above. I just watched my tape of The Feeling Begins. It would be like that, right? :love: :love: :love:

MM